Would you be mad if the Dolphins did this in the draft? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you be mad if the Dolphins did this in the draft?

I think is more of a question for @j-off-her-doll

This is a deep WR class, Juedy and Wallace are gone, how does the top pick round 2 look for addressing WR and using the other picks on a tackle and one of those top tier centers?

Also, I would look to add a RB at some point on day 2. I don't think swift makes it to round 2, but I would suggest Akers in round 3. Excellent blocker and just really learning the position of RB (was a QB in high school). HE has also been able to gain yards behind a really bad o-line at FSU.

This is how Ross and Grier should approach Brandon Scherff and Yannick Ngakoue.

9e9.gif

1.) Tua (QB)
1.) Biadasz (C)
1.) Ruggs (Impact WR)

2.) Diggs (CB 2)
2.) Etienne (wishful thinking)...ok J.K. Dobbins

Tua has a competent line up the middle (Deiter, Biadasz, Scherff). Put Jesse Davis at RT...roll the dice with Davenport, or wait until '21 to get a stud (yes, I believe in drafting o-line high).

I think is more of a question for @j-off-her-doll

This is a deep WR class, Juedy and Wallace are gone, how does the top pick round 2 look for addressing WR and using the other picks on a tackle and one of those top tier centers?

Also, I would look to add a RB at some point on day 2. I don't think swift makes it to round 2, but I would suggest Akers in round 3. Excellent blocker and just really learning the position of RB (was a QB in high school). HE has also been able to gain yards behind a really bad o-line at FSU.

That sounds good to me in theory. There's still a lot of season left, though. I'm not giving up on Wallace at 33. A lot of people are surprisingly low on him. If I don't have a slam-dunk WR there in the 1st, I'd lean toward OL, which is more likely to hit, and I'd target WR in RD 2. As you mentioned, it's a deep class, and 2nd RD WR's hit at about the same rate as 1st RD WR's. They don't tend to hit as big, but I'm OK with that.

RD 3 is where I'd start looking at RB. Hard to guess who goes where, and I haven't watched any of the RB's critically, but it looks like a good group.

What is so wrong with Parker, Williams, Wilson, Grant, Hurns, Ballage, Drake, Gaskin, Laird, Walton, Gesicki, O'Leary, and Smythe that a QB must have another target to complete a pass?

Hurns is a free agent after this year & Parker & Wilson are free agents after next. Williams is still unproven & Grant is of little use as a receiver. Receivers typically take a year or two to be reliable playmakers. We're in the golden era of receiver. It's deep every year. At TE... all of ours are disappointing. Grier completely screwed up taking Gesicki over Mark Andrews & Dallas Goedert.

system (OC, OL, WR/TE). Defensive performance is not sticky. It varies year by year, but Offensive performance is sticky, and it will determine whether or not
Interesting, any evidence to back this up? The best defensive teams certainly seem to be sticky based on memory (Ravens + steelers dynasties, NE)

2. Why DL over WR? One of the two will directly benefit Tua, and it's not DL. Miami has one of the worst skill groups in the league, and you don't want your #1 overall pick throwing to a bunch of bums.
I think our WR group would look pretty good with a single star WR1...I don't think we necessarily need to invest multiple draft picks but would love to see a first-rounder spent on a star player. Or use your FA money and land a sure-fire All-pro.

That plus a do-it-all TE that can move the chains reliably, as a complement to Geisicki as the big-play TE...would work wonders. Our WRs can get open but Grant and Williams just don't have reliable enough hands to be the cornerstones -- would be viable as secondary options though

This is how Ross and Grier should approach Brandon Scherff and Yannick Ngakoue.

View attachment 25770

1.) Tua (QB)
1.) Biadasz (C)
1.) Ruggs (Impact WR)

2.) Diggs (CB 2)
2.) Etienne (wishful thinking)...ok J.K. Dobbins

Tua has a competent line up the middle (Deiter, Biadasz, Scherff). Put Jesse Davis at RT...roll the dice with Davenport, or wait until '21 to get a stud (yes, I believe in drafting o-line high).

I’d be all in on scherf. But so will a ton of people. He’s gonna be highest paid guard in tbe league so no one get sticker shock.

But that would be my primary target assuming he can stay healthy this year. Gonna have a crap load of suitors.

Only thing I don’t like about Ruggs is his frame. 190 lbs I mean that’s kinda light. Not 179 light like some of the other burners but light none the less.

The more I see etienne the more I see how much contact he runs thru as slimm has noted. For his size it’s pretty impressive

The last thing I’d be worried about if I’m miami however is running back. Too many other fish to fry

Last edited:
j-off-her-doll , thank you for the detailed and thoughtful answer. I can see your points. I might argue that some teams, like the Patriots, do quite well with late round and UDFA type WR's. However when they got Randy Moss the difference was clear to see.

WR's like Moss are hard to come by. Josh Gordon isn't chopped liver but he isn't making near the same impact. If we got Tua I'd be inclined to look at Henry Ruggs just because he has Moss type speed. Not yet the type of route runner to get early separation though.

Seems to be a dearth of college OL talent these days. Used to be easy to find starter quality OG's in the 3rd round. It pains me to consider spending a 1st round pick on an interior OL guy. Yet we have had good to decent OT's in recent years and our line still stunk.

I think you are gonna need a top 15 maybe even top 10 pick for ruggs after he runs in the 4.2s

We always talk about how the nfl loves prototypes in QBs and physical tools etc well it also loves elite level speed in its skill talents.

And that dudes got serious gas

Hoops, I agree he has serious speed, hence my interest. The QB connection is a big plus.

I'd rate him around the 4th-5th top WR in the 2020 draft. You would think four QB's are going in the first. I could see two OT's going very early. Should leave some serious talent for us after we get our QB (assuming we have pick #1). I could see three CB's I'd be happy to have with late first or early 2nd round pick. Should be WR value there as well.

Much as I enjoy dreaming about the draft lets hope this time next year our team is so vastly improved we are too concerned with the season to think about the draft!

I’d be all in on scherf. But so will a ton of people. He’s gonna be highest paid guard in tbe league so no one get sticker shock.

But that would be my primary target assuming he can stay healthy this year. Gonna have a crap load of suitors.

Only thing I don’t like about Ruggs is his frame. 190 lbs I mean that’s kinda light. Not 179 light like some of the other burners but light none the less.

The more I see etienne the more I see how much contact he runs thru as slimm has noted. For his size it’s pretty impressive

The last thing I’d be worried about if I’m miami however is running back. Too many other fish to fry

Dolphins might have to give Scherf Tackle money for him to join us, Ruggs got some really strong hands also, I think Jeudy is a 4.3 again lol

Dolphins might have to give Scherf Tackle money for him to join us, Ruggs got some really strong hands also, I think Jeudy is a 4.3 again lol

Scherfs good enough when healthy where I’d probably do it. He’s in line to get paid more than Zach Martin I know that much market wise

We have a whole 'nother draft ('21) with multiple first rounders, not to mention the the rest of the '20 draft to fill those holes.

Interesting, any evidence to back this up? The best defensive teams certainly seem to be sticky based on memory (Ravens + steelers dynasties, NE)

There have been multiple studies, but I'm having trouble finding any at the moment. Since 2000, a few teams have been able to string together multiple years of high-end D, but they are exceptions, and most of those teams had elite peaks surrounded by years where they were merely good. Since 2010, Seattle is the only team to have a string Top D's. Others like Denver and Jacksonville fluctuate, and Chicago is unlikely to reproduce their 2018.

When you consider why Offense is more consistent than Defense, the reason is pretty obvious. QB is so much more impactful than any other position, and good QB's remain good until they eventually fall off. There is no analogous position on D, so to remain good, they have to keep more pieces in place, but Defensive results are often skewed by the QB's they play, so a D might look better or worse than it is based on QB's it faces in a given year.

A really bad D can limit the ceiling of a football team, and if it's particularly awful, it can make a good Offense miss the playoffs. The Saints had a run of those types of teams, where the D was just too bad to overcome - even for D. Brees. So, I'm not advocating for ignoring the D or never spending premium assets on that side of the ball. But, if your goal is to build a team that can compete consistently and not just put together the occasional run, you should start with the Offense. Until you have a team that at least has the trajectory of a championship Offense, you should strongly consider why you're diverting premium assets from the Offense. Most would just say that they want a balanced team, but balance is not the same as blanket equality. Your asset spending should be weighted based on what moves the needle and how much. An extreme example would be a team that spends equally on every position. If someone didn't know anything football saw that team, they might say the spending is balanced, but anyone with a passing interest in the sport would find the idea of paying RB's, P's, and K's the same as QB's to be a ridiculous idea (because it is). Likewise, when starting from scratch, as Miami basically is, a balanced approach would consider the overall impact of Offense vs Defense, as well as which positions have the largest impact for each.

The worst approach is ignoring the importance of QB. The next worst is drafting a QB early only to surround him with bad or mediocre help on Offense, while spending premium resources on the other side of the ball.

Back
Top Bottom