Would you be mad if the Dolphins did this in the draft? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you be mad if the Dolphins did this in the draft?

One hand washes the other. WR's who can uncover quickly help the OL (and the QB) just as the OL helps give WR's more time to get open. After QB, the OL is the most important unit in the game; however, there are two significant caveats. Once an OL is good, it's good enough. The difference between good and great doesn't mean much. The difference between bad and good means the world. So, there's a balance to strike. The other major caveat is that the weakest member of the OL is more significant than the strongest, and a high-end WR will be much, much more valuable than any one OL. In terms of what this means for how to spend your picks, it's still debatable, as 1st RD OL hit at a much higher rate than 1st RD WR's, and you need 5 quality OL vs 3 (or so) quality WR's. Personally, if I'm absolutely sold on a WR, and I have the resources Miami will in 2020 and 2021, I would not pass on the WR for any OL.

Can you name a skill group that Miami is clearly better than? I can't. In a league where you need to score points to win, this group is plain not good enough. With so many clear upgrades available in 2020, why would you settle for a bottom-tier skill group - especially with two young QB's in the mix)?

The current group of pass catchers would be a limiting factor on any team. I don't care if Brady, Brees, Mahomes, Watson, Wilson are the QB. This group isn't getting it done. Also, RB doesn't move the needle - except for guys like Kamara.

Miami won't be competing in 2020, so you shouldn't worry about filling all the holes. You should be concerned with the trajectory of the team, and that trajectory will rise or fall (not that it can get lower) with the QB and his support system (OC, OL, WR/TE). Defensive performance is not sticky. It varies year by year, but Offensive performance is sticky, and it will determine whether or not you're competing every year.

If I'm Miami, until I feel I've given my QB everything he needs to thrive, I only consider spending premium assets on defenders who are just too good to pass up. E. Oliver and Q. Williams were those guys (for me) in 2019.

Well put.

This "Plan" needs to be a 2 year plan. We need to look at position depth and value in this draft and next. It's a combined conversation. Tua will need a true #1 and if next year is weak, we can't pass on a Jeudy, Shenault, Wallace, Lamb, etc.

I originally felt this WR class was a bit thin after the elite top few but i was missing guys on my sheet that could declare. I like it. There's guy who will definitely fall to Round 2 with great value.

That sounds good to me in theory. There's still a lot of season left, though. I'm not giving up on Wallace at 33. A lot of people are surprisingly low on him. If I don't have a slam-dunk WR there in the 1st, I'd lean toward OL, which is more likely to hit, and I'd target WR in RD 2. As you mentioned, it's a deep class, and 2nd RD WR's hit at about the same rate as 1st RD WR's. They don't tend to hit as big, but I'm OK with that.

RD 3 is where I'd start looking at RB. Hard to guess who goes where, and I haven't watched any of the RB's critically, but it looks like a good group.

This is a good RB group and there will be great value in 3. That said, the few elite guys are elite.....Etienne, Swift and Taylor. I love those guys, but they'll be gone early.

I’d be all in on scherf. But so will a ton of people. He’s gonna be highest paid guard in tbe league so no one get sticker shock.

But that would be my primary target assuming he can stay healthy this year. Gonna have a crap load of suitors.

Only thing I don’t like about Ruggs is his frame. 190 lbs I mean that’s kinda light. Not 179 light like some of the other burners but light none the less.

The more I see etienne the more I see how much contact he runs thru as slimm has noted. For his size it’s pretty impressive

The last thing I’d be worried about if I’m miami however is running back. Too many other fish to fry

I love watching Etienne play. The speed that guy gets to in a few steps is sick. He plays with nice vision plus he does break arm tackles incredibly well for his size.

While i usually agree on the RB point bc they can be found anywhere.....and this class is deep.....our current RBs are not good. Drake will be gone, Ballage is one of my least favorite backs in years, and Laird/Gaskin are depth guys.

I would go in with a plan to build a sick offense with Tua, so OL, WR and RB. On defense, i would only prioritize Dline and value/athletes in the back 7. Score points and rush the passer.

If Miami comes away with 2 Offensive Linemen in F/A, than I can see a scenario, where they concentrate on the skill position players early in the draft, after selecting their Potential Franchise QB somewhere in the top 5. So selecting a WR or 2, a RB or 2, and possibly a TE? It's very possible; especially if they intend to try and build the offense in just one draft. But I'd also hope they'd look to pair Xavien Howard with another CB with potential, because the 2020 CB draft class is pretty good.

The 3rd First round pick imo, is the one pick I could see Miami trading down with to acquire more future picks. Potentially netting them another 1st round pick in 2021? They may not have to trade out of the 1st round completely, to get a nice haul. I figure if they actually spend in F/A Miami can make a serious push in the mid to later rounds to acquire some serious depth.

The 3rd First round pick imo, is the one pick I could see Miami trading down with to acquire more future picks. Potentially netting them another 1st round pick in 2021? They may not have to trade out of the 1st round completely, to get a nice haul. I figure if they actually spend in F/A Miami can make a serious push in the mid to later rounds to acquire some serious depth.

They could but this draft could have incredible value late in Round 1, early in Round 2 this year. We could get starters there. While it's great to accumulate picks, there's no sense to keep trading for future picks when you have guys you need staring at you now.

Good teams with depth do that. That's how you maintain a good roster within the cap.

They could but this draft could have incredible value late in Round 1, early in Round 2 this year. We could get starters there. While it's great to accumulate picks, there's no sense to keep trading for future picks when you have guys you need staring at you now.

Good teams with depth do that. That's how you maintain a good roster within the cap.
I agree. But if Grier was serious about wanting 10 or more picks moving forward. I'd think trades are pretty much the expectation now. But as you said, if a play who can help, Is there, why trade?

I agree. But if Grier was serious about wanting 10 or more picks moving forward. I'd think trades are pretty much the expectation now. But as you said, if a play who can help, Is there, why trade?

It's all about how the board falls. If you don't like the value, trade. Don't settle for a guy who may start, pick a guy you really like.

In 2019, Andre Dillard went at 22, Johnathan Abram at 27. If those guys are starting at me, i'm picking them. In 2018, those 2 picks were Rashaan Evans and Rashaad Penny. I'm not taking those 2 guys. This trade decision varies by year and as the board changes. You can't go into a draft close minded with only one way of doing it. You have to be ready for a Tunsil to fall and do your homework. You have to be ready for "your guy" being taken right before you and adapt.

But don't trade just to trade. Don't be Tannebaum with no plan. Don't try to do it the "Patriot Way" just because we have Flores. Be your own person, build you own plan, build your own board and show conviction in it.

I think you might be able to get Biadasz a little later cause the athlete looks pretty average to me. 2nd level and space play it looks real average athletically.

I love that shaking of the fingers pre snap though

He looks like a better fit in a man blocking scheme than a zone scheme. Still, one of the top two centers on my board.

I’m just saying top 25 pick or grade pivots are usually better athletes

I actually don't mind the draft outside of 33 not being used on a WR.

If you are going to put those eggs in the Tua basket, you better find a way to keep that basket from getting knocked over.

I like the line picks although you may want to draft a WR at the Houston pick then see how the board plays out and move up once Biadasz or Humphry gets picked or stay put until 33 for which ever one is left. Last year after the Bradbury went top 20 I would have bet a good amount that McCoy would go by the end of round 1 and then he fell all the way to the 40's. There was as good of a debate on those two centers as there is on Biadasz and Humphry.

I honestly think we will roll into next season with 4 new o-lineman and two maybe rookies starting around Deiter. Deiter is a fine OG...not a bad pick for 3rd round, we just can't have Deiter be one of 3 best o-lineman.

I actually don't mind the draft outside of 33 not being used on a WR.

If you are going to put those eggs in the Tua basket, you better find a way to keep that basket from getting knocked over.

I like the line picks although you may want to draft a WR at the Houston pick then see how the board plays out and move up once Biadasz or Humphry gets picked or stay put until 33 for which ever one is left. Last year after the Bradbury went top 20 I would have bet a good amount that McCoy would go by the end of round 1 and then he fell all the way to the 40's. There was as good of a debate on those two centers as there is on Biadasz and Humphry.

I honestly think we will roll into next season with 4 new o-lineman and two maybe rookies starting around Deiter. Deiter is a fine OG...not a bad pick for 3rd round, we just can't have Deiter be one of 3 best o-lineman.

Good post, and I agree that going QB-OL-OL-WR and then some combo of OL/WR with the next couple picks. Lot of time to see how the tiers will break and where the value could be. And, of course, FA will have a big impact.

It's all about how the board falls. If you don't like the value, trade. Don't settle for a guy who may start, pick a guy you really like.

In 2019, Andre Dillard went at 22, Johnathan Abram at 27. If those guys are starting at me, i'm picking them. In 2018, those 2 picks were Rashaan Evans and Rashaad Penny. I'm not taking those 2 guys. This trade decision varies by year and as the board changes. You can't go into a draft close minded with only one way of doing it. You have to be ready for a Tunsil to fall and do your homework. You have to be ready for "your guy" being taken right before you and adapt.

But don't trade just to trade. Don't be Tannebaum with no plan. Don't try to do it the "Patriot Way" just because we have Flores. Be your own person, build you own plan, build your own board and show conviction in it.
Great post. Have to consider the board and player availability.
What’s interesting for us in 2020: where usually teams pick say 1x or every 30 or so- we will be picking every 15- #1, 10-15 Pitt pick, 25-30 Texans, back to Rd2 #1, back to Rd2 #17- 20 Saints.
This gives us a tremendous advantage in draft flexibility especially if we study the teams ahead of us.

Okay, you guys have beat me into submission:) I now concede going QB-OL-OL-WR is more sensible than QB-OL-OL-CB. In my defense I can only saying watching Rowe makes me insanely angry.

One of my other key feelings is being "fiscally" sound in one's drafting. To me you don't take TE/RB/S in the first round because those guys command so much less money on the open market.

You have to think we can find some FA help. I mean if we could go buy a DE, CB, and a couple of OG's, we could turn this team around in a hurry. Of course this is assuming we have a chance to pick the right QB. Now we could be drafting QB-OT-OT-WR-WR-and some combination of FS/SS/RB/TE/LB/DT. Maybe replace Cox and Haack? Then we are still loaded with picks in 2021!

That is more than I'd like to do in the FA market as I don't think it is the way to rebuild a team. We do have the money to afford a couple of 20 million dollar guys and a few in the 10-15 million range. Add all those draft picks and WOW.

I really need to stop working myself up. We all know what this team has done for our hopes over the last couple of decades. Here I am falling into the "this time it is going to be different" trap again.

Back
Top Bottom