Would you have rooted for Marino IF: | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you have rooted for Marino IF:

Would you have rooted for Marino to win a Superbowl with another team?

• Yes

Votes: 37 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters
Absolutely, in fact I was hoping that he would go to Minnesota and get his ring.

I didn't have a lot of hope for the Fins that year with a new QB taking the helm, I figured they would be a playoff team but no more

I supported Marino for too many years

In retrospect I see him for what he was sans the homervision specs

Dan was an egomaniacal "me first" player who abused his teammates when things went bad and choked under pressure. He was more concerned with setting records than he was with winning as a team.

I will not support him further. Miami lost many opportunites to be a better team becuz of Dan.

I saw that about zonk too - he said only sissy ran out of bounds

But he must have once inna while - to stop the clock don'tcha think

Originally posted by Tatonka

kenny davis was a great rb that we had while thurman was there.. he always played second fiddle because he had a HOFer in front of him.

OJ was not a murderer when he played for the bills.. ps.. he rushed for 2100 yards :D

trading travis is all fan speculation.. i personally would like to keep him even if WM gets healthy. you can never have too many good rbs.

when exactly did oj rush for 2100 yards? acording to nfl.com the top 3 are
Most Yards Gained, Season
2,105 Eric Dickerson, L.A. Rams, 1984
2,053 Barry Sanders, Detroit, 1997
2,008 Terrell Davis, Denver, 1998

those stats from nfl.com were probably for the 16 game season. I remember that OJ broke 2000 yards and it was when seasons were 14 games.

I tried to read through this whole thread, but I couldn't. It was getting too tedious.

Back to the original question. Had Marino gone to another team, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have rooted for him 100%. That guy deserves a ring. For all the crap he's gotten from the press, other players, and other know-it-alls he deserves a super bowl. It's too bad he didn't get it.

Here is a question for you guys on this subject. Since Marino is so loved in Miami (and the world over), do you think the city would have given him a parade like what Boston did to Ray Borque (SP?) - long time Boston Bruin - after he went to Colorado and won the Cup? Now that is love for a player!

Rooted for Marino with any team but the Jills. He deserved a ring. I remember what happens when they (BUFFALO) actually made the superbowl. Choke!:lol:

Count the yardage from the stabbing to the Bronco and OJ ran for 2,100 yards....if you included the milage of the LA loop as well... in about a day's time...very impressive.

Marino should have been traded to the Steelers (whose team had all the places intact for superbowl run) two years before he retired, when his arm had some pop and he wasnt taking a beating from a lackluster rb who couldn't take runs the distance or run wide so teams couldnt load the box and blitz him.

Maybe it would have been moot point, Cowher was same styler as Jimmy Johnson for the most part.
Jimmy Johnson did Marino in. Shula changed styles and went from run heavy to Mr.Forward pass because great coaches do that .He knew he had a special talent in that qb. By the way, Marc Bulger's dad was marino's qb coach, both guys have same style....strong and arm, accurate pass and quick release. Bulger is more mobile, marino was better deep passer. Try and get him if that 2 qb fiasco doesnt work to get you past round one of playoffs. He will be a cap steal as well.

Originally posted by Tatonka

i dont think that there are many people that can legitimately argue he wasnt the best ever.. you can maybe say that there are others that were equal to him.. if you base that judgement on different intangibles.. like winning superbowls, but as far passing numbers.. he was by far the best.

Dan Marino was the Greg Norman of the NFL! Nobody cares if you win the QuadCities Open or throw 6 T.D.'s against the Bengals in week 6 of the season. Numbers alone don't get you to the Big Dance...

Champions win Championships!

38-3

There is a fine line between competitiveness and whining and Dan was on the whining side. He couldn't have his way all the time so he cried about it instead of taking it like a man. Have any of you ever met him in person? I have and let me say I hope he sticks with golf because at least i dont have to watch him play football anymore. I know he is doing the commentary on TV, but hey that's what a remote control is for.

This question has great parallels with what happened with the Boston Bruins Ray Bourque.

Just remember:

1) The Briuns front office accommodated Ray in his request to go somewhere to win a Stanley Cup before he retired.

2) He wasn't traded to a hated rival.

3) Our own team had no shot.

Under those same circumstances, I could see you pulling for Dan in a place like St. Louis.

Back
Top Bottom