Would you trade X for two first round picks? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you trade X for two first round picks?

i'd renegotiate with howard.. i'd say I will increase your contract but I will pay your per game. if your knee doesn't hold up and you miss games you don't get paid... the dolphins took a risk when they signed him.. he should honor is contract.. with that being said, I would still bump him a bit but nothing crazy (like 20mill/yr)

I wonder if you post these same opinions when the organization terminates that "contract".

I would, I’m old fashioned
I know it’s weird but in my eyes a contract is a contract. Both sides should stick to it subject to its clauses and conditions

I wonder if you post these same opinions when the organization terminates that "contract".
I see this often, but it is a strawman.

Contracts are worded very specifically, with some things gauranteed and other things not gauranteed.

Its not like a team can just tear up a contract, at their own whims.

Part of this is the player's/agent's own fault. They want the numbers to look huge for bragging, and status reasons, so they pump the contract numbers up to the extreme, knowing full well that isn't usually the reality of how it will actually work out.

Both sides play the game, and both sides know the rules and possible outcomes.

There comes a point where you can actually have too many high round picks. You eventually have to pay these people.

I understand your point but we're quite far off the point of having drafted too many good players. If we sign a couple of RBs, we won't be extending them. I don't think it's guaranteed we'll have to pay Jackson, Igbo, Hunt or Raekwon big money either.

I see this often, but it is a strawman.

Contracts are worded very specifically, with some things gauranteed and other things not gauranteed.

Its not like a team can just tear up a contract, at their own whims.

Part of this is the player's/agent's own fault. They want the numbers to look huge for bragging, and status reasons, so they pump the contract numbers up to the extreme, knowing full well that isn't usually the reality of how it will actually work out.

Both sides play the game, and both sides know the rules and possible outcomes.
All this minutia is because NFL contracts aren't guaranteed to begin with like they are in other sports because the NFL's player unions suck.

If Howard had played poorly, he'd be cut and wouldn't see the rest of the contract. If he plays well, he should get compensated as such.

None of this arguing has anything to do with the salary cap or hurting the team or anything else. People just don't like to see the athletes have any power whatsoever.

All this minutia is because NFL contracts aren't guaranteed to begin with like they are in other sports because the NFL's player unions suck.

If Howard had played poorly, he'd be cut and wouldn't see the rest of the contract. If he plays well, he should get compensated as such.

None of this arguing has anything to do with the salary cap or hurting the team or anything else. People just don't like to see the athletes have any power whatsoever.
Why should a team be on the hook with a player, who gets the big money, then decides to "dog it" because he has nothing to gain, or lose?

I'm all for a player getting what he can get, when he can. His career is short to begin with, not to mention the fact that he is always one bad hit away from retirement.

On the other hand, a franchise has to have some recourse for players that rapidly decline, for whatever reason.

Your statement about ppl not wanting a player to get paid may be true for some, but don't lump everyone together. The owners are rich, greedy ba$tards too.

I think most fans are ambivalent to the situation.

Why should a team be on the hook with a player, who gets the big money, then decides to "dog it" because he has nothing to gain, or lose?

I'm all for a player getting what he can get, when he can. His career is short to begin with, not to mention the fact that he is always one bad hit away from retirement.

On the other hand, a franchise has to have some recourse for players that rapidly decline, for whatever reason.

Your statement about ppl not wanting a player to get paid may be true for some, but don't lump everyone together. The owners are rich, greedy ba$tards too.

I think most fans are ambivalent to the situation.
I actually think most fans side with the billionaires and if you look at the ratio of people for/against Howard for wanting to be paid like he feels like he deserved, it'll prove it.

Hell, most people would rather cut him than pay him a few million dollars more. If that isn't cutting off your nose to spite your face, I don't know what is.

HELL NO!! Defensive player of the year stays put in my opinion. Who would they replace him with, Noah, I can't cover no one?

I actually think most fans side with the billionaires and if you look at the ratio of people for/against Howard for wanting to be paid like he feels like he deserved, it'll prove it.

Hell, most people would rather cut him than pay him a few million dollars more. If that isn't cutting off your nose to spite your face, I don't know what is.
I think you are wrong that most side with the billionaires. It would be an interesting poll.

I can only tell you my take. It's a matter of "principal", in this particular case.

If X were being seriously underpaid, and nearing the end of a contract, I wouldn't have any issue, whatsoever. Here though, he just got a new contract, that apparently suited him fine at the time. Now he, almost immediately, wants a new one? Because he feels slighted that Jones got what he could? It appears to be pride driven, as he has already gotten a huge deal. He isn't drastically underpaid. If he had a bad year, or ended up on IR again, would the Dolphins be in a position to restructure? Heck no. Not given the signing bonus, and gaurantees involved.

I try to look at it from both sides of the negotiating table.

No. That sets a bad precedent.

I think you are wrong that most side with the billionaires. It would be an interesting poll.

I can only tell you my take. It's a matter of "principal", in this particular case.

If X were being seriously underpaid, and nearing the end of a contract, I wouldn't have any issue, whatsoever. Here though, he just got a new contract, that apparently suited him fine at the time. Now he, almost immediately, wants a new one? Because he feels slighted that Jones got what he could? It appears to be pride driven, as he has already gotten a huge deal. He isn't drastically underpaid. If he had a bad year, or ended up on IR again, would the Dolphins be in a position to restructure? Heck no. Not given the signing bonus, and gaurantees involved.

I try to look at it from both sides of the negotiating table.

No. That sets a bad precedent.
So if he outperforms his current contract in year 3, you're good, but if it's in year 1, no dice?

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

I probably would do it. If it's a team that figures later in the first round, I might try to get a couple of fifth rounders, as well. But he's missed major time with an injury a couple of years ago, it appears he wants to break the bank, and the odds that he's going to pick off 10 passes again is almost zero.

I'd love to keep him, but you have to be careful about falling in love with your own guys. The prime of an NFL star is fleeting, and when you get a chance to reload with premium talent at low cost, you have to do it, or, at the very least, give it every bit of your consideration.

So if he outperforms his current contract in year 3, you're good, but if it's in year 1, no dice?

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.
It was a five year deal, so year 4 sure, in theory. First of all, in 4 years, the market value will have increased (substantially if recent history is any indication). That is surely not the case here, particularly with the cap going down.

Given his age, I really doubt he would be in a position to get another long term contract.

May not make "sense" to you, but there are ppl to whom it does.

Back
Top Bottom