Would you trade X for two first round picks? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you trade X for two first round picks?

There comes a point where you can actually have too many high round picks. You eventually have to pay these people.
I don’t understand the logic here. If your 7th round pick turns out to be a player you’ll eventually have to pay him, too. Multiple 1st round picks increases the chances of a good player and increases the chances that they’re a good player early - on their cheap rookie deal. Having too many good players is absolutely only a good problem to have.

I don’t understand the logic here. If your 7th round pick turns out to be a player you’ll eventually have to pay him, too. Multiple 1st round picks increases the chances of a good player and increases the chances that they’re a good player early - on their cheap rookie deal. Having too many good players is absolutely only a good problem to have.
It's not a matter of having too many good players on one team, you cannot sustain having multiple firsts and seconds ever year because eventually you will have to pay all of them at the same time. This is why trading draft capital is a good thing from time to time.

The Patriots are master's of this. When they have a lot of picks, they will move back into the following year or package them to move up. When they cheat and get stripped, they trade a superstar to get a pick (okay, that was for fun). It's less contacts to pay. Continually trading down is illogical from a contractual standpoint. You can only build so much draft capital before it's not helping you. You need to use it to move up.

If you add another first or second, it should not be in this draft.

The art of trading back is to get good players in the middle rounds, another art of the draft. Trading back to get good mid round values with lower contact values up front.

Hmm, maybe if Grier wasn’t the one making the picks. We might end up with more Iggys

No. He is too good. But I’d trade Byron Jones and that contract for a 2nd rounder and hope I can’t get a good corner with one of my THREE 2nd rounders to compete with Iggy.

If the team offering was a team picking anywhere up to 10th pick, then yeah, I would strongly consider. if they are a bottom 10 team, then there are a number of holes in the team, and the following year the pick would be probably in the range of 5-17. I look at Miami's development - 5 last year, 18 this year. Salary cap is also an issue. So yeah, I would look long and hard.

Thats a tough call I rather see certain players stay with the team .......maybe convert to safety when the time comes. The real good guys you don't let leave.

It's not a matter of having too many good players on one team, you cannot sustain having multiple firsts and seconds ever year because eventually you will have to pay all of them at the same time. This is why trading draft capital is a good thing from time to time.

The Patriots are master's of this. When they have a lot of picks, they will move back into the following year or package them to move up. When they cheat and get stripped, they trade a superstar to get a pick (okay, that was for fun). It's less contacts to pay. Continually trading down is illogical from a contractual standpoint. You can only build so much draft capital before it's not helping you. You need to use it to move up.

If you add another first or second, it should not be in this draft.
Yeah, I see your point about having a surplus of draft picks in the same draft and having them all come due at the same time. I was thinking consecutive drafts if they got two 1s for X, not the same draft. If they were to trade X for early picks this year and next, they would have even more capital to move up or trade with another team for another player. I’m not sure I’m on board with moving X but it’s hard for me to not see the benefit of moving a player for multiple 1s. They’re just too valuable and offer so many options.

But, really, even in your scenario you could still theoretically have value in trading the player before their second contract. And you still have the luxury of a solid player on a rookie contract. But, I do see your point. Thanks for clarifying.

Nope, but if they offer us a Herschel Walker type trade deal...And then some.

Maybe it can be considered.

I'd love him to stay
BUT
I also believe if he wants to hold out mid contract then he can £$%K Off. I hate all the mid contract hold outs, thats why its called a contract. You are contracted under certain terms and conditions to play football for $X
You and your agent negotiated it, live with it (I know, I know, I live in a strange Utopian world)

Why would the Browns offer Chubb+ TWO 1st round picks? I'm pretty sure they'd rather keep Chubb over Hunt and I'm 100% positive they're not trading 2 1st round picks plus a top HB.

I actually meant to type 2022 2nd, as a starting point for negotiation.

They extended Hunt on a team friendly deal, don’t see them signing Chubb too. Doesn’t make sense to keep two premium backs not on rookie deals.

What kind of value does a top back bring when his contract is expiring?

I'd love him to stay
BUT
I also believe if he wants to hold out mid contract then he can £$%K Off. I hate all the mid contract hold outs, thats why its called a contract. You are contracted under certain terms and conditions to play football for $X
You and your agent negotiated it, live with it (I know, I know, I live in a strange Utopian world)
I wonder if you post these same opinions when the organization terminates that "contract".

Back
Top Bottom