WR's Parker, Williams, & TE Gesicki a real threat for defenses to deal with | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR's Parker, Williams, & TE Gesicki a real threat for defenses to deal with

You have a valid point. I don't think it is overrating so much as the belief that there are other units that need attention more than WR.

It's no secret that this is the first season in a looooong time that we actually had a legit #1 receiver, so for someone to say we have a "great" WR corps is disingenuous, or homerism wishful thinking.

On the other hand, it's not unreasonable to have the opinion that there are greater needs.

It's also not unreasonable to say the receiver corp would look better if the Miami QB had as much time or as good a running game as KC, Houston, Baltimore, SF, NO, and Tennessee

It's also not unreasonable to say the receiver corp would look better if the Miami QB had as much time or as good a running game as KC, Houston, Baltimore, SF, NO, and Tennessee
I considered posting that point as well. You are correct that some of our guys may indeed "look" better on a KC, or NO team, but that gets into apples and oranges.

You have a valid point. I don't think it is overrating so much as the belief that there are other units that need attention more than WR.

It's no secret that this is the first season in a looooong time that we actually had a legit #1 receiver, so for someone to say we have a "great" WR corps is disingenuous, or homerism wishful thinking.

On the other hand, it's not unreasonable to have the opinion that there are greater needs.

I would agree with people who say there are bigger needs. Fielding a quality OL is need #2 after QB. Unless some of these OT's are worse than I, and most think, LT is the glove fit at 18. Unless Miami thinks its QB of the future is starting in 2020, I think they'll give Davis a tryout year at RT, but they still need C and RG. I expect Miami to fill IOL in FA wherever possible.

DE is a high-value position and an area of weakness for Miami - weaker than WR, certainly. But, we've talked about it over the different threads - offense is sticky, and defense isn't. How well you pass = how well you score, and passing success is a balance of QB, playcalling, pass protection, and quality of target (WR/TE).

A balanced team doesn't grow at the same time. If the defense is good before the offense is able to take advantage, it's counterproductive. If you build a good offense, you'll have many opportunities, within as large a window as possible, to field a defense that can put you over the top.

Imo Miami is much too bad to prioritize needs over priorities.

The running game is beside the point, but, yes, Miami's offense would look better with improved pass protection.

I considered posting that point as well. You are correct that some of our guys may indeed "look" better on a KC, or NO team, but that gets into apples and oranges.

Agree, but I wouldn't say "look" better. I'd say they ARE better with a better OL and run game. Would Julio only "look" better in NE?

Sanu sure didn't look better in NE.

I wouldn't put Sanu in the same category as Julio. Maybe I'm too obsessed with "looks better." I prefer IS better, or maybe IS more productive. Laird would BE more productive in a top run O. Henry would be less productive in '19 Miami. A top OL would certainly give the QB more time in the pocket and make Miami's receivers more productive. A top run game wouldn't allow the D to focus on the receivers. My only point to M2 was grading WRs, TEs, and RBs, without considering the OL is undervaluing them.

Not sure I concur about Albert Wilson and his post injury look. I thought he came out and looked pretty sharp considering his injury. But I do agree fully about Lynn Bowden. He shredded the University of Louisville in the Governors Cup. Low Key Stud.
Bowden also shredded Virginia Tech, Missouri, Arkansas, and averaged 5.8 yards against Georgia running the ball.

86 Clive Walford from this list...... We can and will do better then that. Let him fight it out and camp but I think hes toast.

No doubt its a waste of a roster spot. I'd roll the dice on an UDFA before bring him back.

He got his shot, hands are stone.

The running game is beside the point, but, yes, Miami's offense would look better with improved pass protection.
I would disagree that it is beside the point, when you are as Miami was. Opposing teams had zero respect, and were able to stop it without putting extras in the box, or committing safeties to play close to the line. It makes passing that much harder, separation less, and windows tighter.

I wouldn't put Sanu in the same category as Julio. Maybe I'm too obsessed with "looks better." I prefer IS better, or maybe IS more productive. Laird would BE more productive in a top run O. Henry would be less productive in '19 Miami. A top OL would certainly give the QB more time in the pocket and make Miami's receivers more productive. A top run game wouldn't allow the D to focus on the receivers. My only point to M2 was grading WRs, TEs, and RBs, without considering the OL is undervaluing them.

Julio has been historically good and productive. In an offense that is very fussy about its WR's and had an old Tom Brady, I don't think Jones would be better.

Laird isn't good.

To your point, though, OL is a big deal. My top targets for Miami in 2019 were mostly OL. Miami should have been more proactive last year. They should also prioritize it this year - particularly LT.

With a better OL, Miami's WR's would be better, but better and good enough are not the same thing.

I would disagree that it is beside the point, when you are as Miami was. Opposing teams had zero respect, and were able to stop it without putting extras in the box, or committing safeties to play close to the line. It makes passing that much harder, separation less, and windows tighter.

Agree, but I wouldn't say "look" better. I'd say they ARE better with a better OL and run game. Would Julio only "look" better in NE?
Meh, they are what they are. The difference would be the team around the, assuming coaching is roughly equal. I'm not going to put Hurns or Ford in a conversation with JJ.

This board is wildly overeating Miami's WR/TE situation. Outside of NE and Buffalo, which playoff teams have an equal or lesser group?

Philly only after the inuries
Seattle maybe
Green Bay maybe

But, KC, Houston, Baltimore, SF, NO, and Tennessee all have significantly better targets.

Middle of the pack isn't good enough. None of the five playoff teams I listed as equal to or worse than Miami at WR/TE is a real contender, and three are already out of the playoffs, with the only win coming from Seattle vs Philly - in a game where DK Metcalf was one of the top 2 or 3 difference makers.

I hope Miami doesn't get distracted by immediate needs. They have the time and resources to build the team they want.
:hclap: I couldn't agree more. Even if you believe WR receiver is a strength, which personally I think Miami is average at best, why not add to it and try to make it special. Especially if the plan is to add a young QB. Why not give him as many weapons as possible to make his development even easier? Unlike the way they handled Tannehill when he started.

Julio has been historically good and productive. In an offense that is very fussy about its WR's and had an old Tom Brady, I don't think Jones would be better.

Laird isn't good.

To your point, though, OL is a big deal. My top targets for Miami in 2019 were mostly OL. Miami should have been more proactive last year. They should also prioritize it this year - particularly LT.

With a better OL, Miami's WR's would be better, but better and good enough are not the same thing.

Agree. That's why I said Laird would be "more productive" - not good. Same point with Henry - "less productive."
The original post to which I replied was the quality of Miami's WR corp. I maintain the receiver corp would be more productive with a better OL and run game. I stand by that. How MUCH better is an honest debate. I doubt they'd be top 5, but would be seen as more of a problem by DCs.

Back
Top Bottom