WTF happened to Nik Needham.... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WTF happened to Nik Needham....

No pressure on the QB, it happened to all our DB's...
Some people don’t understand that you can’t give an NFL QB all day to throw the ball. It is easy to blame the defensive backs because they are who you see when the receiver catches the ball. Yet the real issue on the defense during the game was the lack of pressure on Allen. There were some plays when he had 7 or 8 seconds to find an open receiver and that is far too long. No defensive back can be expected to cover a receiver for that long.

Tua on the other hand was constantly under pressure as soon as the center delivered the ball and yet some people don’t see the difference in the pass protection afforded these two QB’s.

Some people don’t understand that you can’t give an NFL QB all day to throw the ball. It is easy to blame the defensive backs because they are who you see when the receiver catches the ball. Yet the real issue on the defense during the game was the lack of pressure on Allen. There were some plays when he had 7 or 8 seconds to find an open receiver and that is far too long. No defensive back can be expected to cover a receiver for that long.

Tua on the other hand was constantly under pressure as soon as the center delivered the ball and yet some people don’t see the difference in the pass protection afforded these two QB’s.

Worst the guy's playing against the SLOT recievers who are usually the quickest on opposing teams and have the option of two way routes. Jones and Howard have the tremendous advantage of the sideline as a defender. You don't get that luxury as the nickle. Plus it doesn't help that we play single high safety and our "LBs" play close to the LOS.

Bottomline as the nickel you have to defend a quick/fast reciever over the entire field. Like you said adding in the lack of consistent pressure without all out blitz is the kiss of death in the NFL.

Worst the guy's playing against the SLOT recievers who are usually the quickest on opposing teams and have the option of two way routes. Jones and Howard have the tremendous advantage of the sideline as a defender. You don't get that luxury as the nickle. Plus it doesn't help that we play single high safety and our "LBs" play close to the LOS.

Bottomline as the nickel you have to defend a quick/fast reciever over the entire field. Like you said adding in the lack of consistent pressure without all out blitz is the kiss of death in the NFL.

And slot corners see a lot of rubs

Needham played reasonably well for most of the year, I remember quite a few nice plays... and this after starting slow.

He's only played for two years and had his position changed this year without much camp. He gets a full year in the slot before we make a decision.

Last game and most important game :oops:.... He gave up 3 td's from what I remember and one was late to a rookie receiver. Just a very poor performance smh.
He was a close contact of Fitzpatrick and had to stay 6 feet away from the Bills receivers. Don't blame him for being a responsible adult.

My issue w “projects” like this are that by the time they get good, you’re either paying them over market or letting them walk in FA. Seriously something that has to be considered nowadays. Your window w draft picks is only so long for most of them.
Good point

Last game and most important game :oops:.... He gave up 3 td's from what I remember and one was late to a rookie receiver. Just a very poor performance smh.
hopefully Iggy takes his spot.. iggy is still very young and learning so maybe next year he steps up.. I could live with needham as an ok backup

Shaq Lawson didn't show up so yea no pressure on the QB. If anyone rewatches the game you'll see some Hustle from Wilkinson but that's about it on the DL. Obgah, X and Van Ginkle probably had fair games too.

Every player in our secondary had a game or two where they were abused...including X.

It seems like some people don’t understand what happens when you play man coverage and can’t get to the QB. Or what happens when you play man and no defender makes it within 3 yards of the QB and he has 8 seconds to wait for guys to get open and throw. They basically did the same thing to Needham that they did to Igbinoghene early in the season. They left him on an island with no help and he got burned. After that they continued to leave him on an island and he continued to get burned.

It seems like some people don’t understand what happens when you play man coverage and can’t get to the QB. Or what happens when you play man and no defender makes it within 3 yards of the QB and he has 8 seconds to wait for guys to get open and throw. They basically did the same thing to Needham that they did to Igbinoghene early in the season. They left him on an island with no help and he got burned. After that they continued to leave him on an island and he continued to get burned.
It's a matchup based game. And right now Allen and that O are a tuff matchup. Only way we can compete with Buffalo is get way more productive QB play -- and I'll add WRs and RBs into that productivity mix. And then you better get after Allen more often and aggressively. But he's such an imposing athlete. Like I said before the game, Allen vs. Tua was NOT a fair fight. Just my opinion but really hard to make up that kind of deficit.

He's always been trash will always be trash... His 2 ints came off flucky tips. The man isn't a good cb plain and simple

Back
Top Bottom