Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors

I don't understand why people want to trade away a cornerstone player.

Do you always see things in absolute terms?
No one wants to trade him away.
However, Howard poisoned the well when he declared that he wanted to be the highest paid CB in the league. He’s nowhere near that. Top 5, maybe, but not in the class of an elite CB.
Sometimes a player forces a team’s hand. If he’s going to be a difficult negotiation, the FO is left with few choices.

Guys..Howard needs to be traded. He want's to be highest paid cb and I am not ok with that. Let's actually tank right for once and get qb in 2020.

I have concerns about his ability to stay healthy as well.

Build the lines, build through the draft its not that hard.

Of course he says he wants to be paid the top CB. What's he supposed to say?

His agent starts high, our GM starts low. Hopefully a fair and rewarding contract for both sides is signed.

If no arrangements can be made? Sure you look for alternatives like a trade but going off the hilt right now because of words said in the media? Let it play out....

His agent starts high, our GM starts low. Hopefully a fair and rewarding contract for both sides is signed.

If no arrangements can be made? Sure you look for alternatives like a trade but going off the hilt right now because of words said in the media? Let it play out....

Do you think we are close to competing? I don't think so. If he can get a first round pick and then some do it. I don't want to tie up money in a db when we are not ready to compete. Especially when he have issues on both sides of the line.

not going to be paid as a top cb as hes not. last year he was torched consistently.

Do I think we are close to competing? No, certainly not.

Recently though the league has demonstrated you CAN turn a team around in ~2 years though (assuming you have a good QB). Those teams tend to collect and retain talent instead of trading it away.

With this being a passing league you need good secondary players. If you have the ability to retain a top 5 or even top 10 player in a league in a position which starts 64 of them every week, you keep them.

The salary cap goes up every year and player salaries get readjusted every year. If he is paid top dollar today, it really won't matter in the long run.

If he wants to be the highest paid qb in the nfl then the dolphins should move on.

The only way I would consider trading him would be as part of a package to move up and get my franchise QB. That would most likely be a draft day trade though and not one made during contract negotiations.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do players always say they "want to be the top paid CB (or whatever position)?

Call it semantics but Howard saying "I think I'm the best CB in the league" is a lot different than outright saying "I want to be the highest paid CB in the league"

Of course, he wants money. I will never villainize someone for that. But if you throw that out into the media, you're basically starting the trade rumors yourself. You're also being more honest about your priorities than I think people realize.

Do I think we are close to competing? No, certainly not.

Recently though the league has demonstrated you CAN turn a team around in ~2 years though (assuming you have a good QB). Those teams tend to collect and retain talent instead of trading it away.

With this being a passing league you need good secondary players. If you have the ability to retain a top 5 or even top 10 player in a league in a position which starts 64 of them every week, you keep them.

The salary cap goes up every year and player salaries get readjusted every year. If he is paid top dollar today, it really won't matter in the long run.

So your banking on the Dolphins to be able to possibly turn it around in 2 years for a team that has accomplished nothing in the last 20? Listen if I thought we were close to competing I would sign X ( I still do have concerns he can stay healthy.) The fact is we are not and we have other areas of need. Get a 1st and a good players on a cheap rookie deal. Build through the draft and get your qb in 2020.

I would say it's not just recent either. Rams went 4-12 and won the Superbowl next year. Colts had a couple of 3-13 years before going 13-3 the following year. I am sure there are plenty of other examples as well.

I dont understand the need to trade good young players. Pay the man. There is no guarantee in the draft. We know what we have in X. Do we know for certain that the player we draft will pan out? That's what has been wrong with this franchise. We develop good talent and then let them walk, then turn around and sign some high priced free agent on his last legs.

The only way I would consider trading him would be as part of a package to move up and get my franchise QB. That would most likely be a draft day trade though and not one made during contract negotiations.
What franchise qb are you referring to?

What franchise qb are you referring to?

Just speaking hypothetically. If I were the GM and if I was in love with a particular QB, then I pull the trigger to get him.

In my opinion there are four special positions within the current rules: corner back, pass rusher, wide receiver, and of course QB. QB trumps all and that would be the only reason I would seriously consider trading any of the other 3 'premier' positions if I have top 10 or better talent there.

Back
Top Bottom