Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors

The only reason I would consider signing him is that we're so horrific behind him talent-wise. Unless you want to trot out Minkah as a permanent boundary CB, you really have dog **** behind Howard.

And even if we sign him, it's not as if we can't jettison him in 2-3 years. His value will diminish, but a fair contract will make sure he isn't untradeable.

My concern is that tanking talk is getting reeeeaaaal. Which to me signals Howard is getting dumped a la Khalil Mack.

He’s a cornerstone player.

LT, CB1, QB, DE.

Miami has 2 blue chip cornerstone players. Gotta keep them at all cost.

totally agree.. after tunsil and howard (and minkah), everybody else is available

I guess we really do want the #1 pick in 2020

As much as this bothers me, and how EXTREMELY apposed I am to getting rid of our best players, this really could allow us in 2020 to get any QB we wanted if done right, while not having to lose an entire season.

Trade X to the right team that will need more then just an elite Corner to win in 2019, for their 2020 #1 pick (I hate even thinking about doing this, but it is an option), and now you have two #1s going into 2020 (With one or both being extremely high), Try to get a cheap but solid corner in the off-season (Miami has won games with X hurt), play to win in 2019, hope the team that has X does not do well, and in 2020, either use the highest #1 to get one of the top QBs (If one of the two 1st is high enough), or trade both to move up to get that elite QB. If you are able to use just one 1st for the QB, use the 2nd to ge the best Corner in 2020 to eventually replace X.

If you're going after a rookie QB 1st round in 2020 then you resign X, James, & Tunsil. If the QB is legit in 5 years you can resign him and those contracts will be finished.

However, if you get two 1sts for X then I'd say you have to take it. Too good of a deal.

all depends on a couple things: 1. how much we can get for him and 2. how quickly we believe we can be competitive. I'd lean toward trading him but we need at least a 1st (ideally an additional 1-3 rounder). if we can get that, i'd so go for it. if not (or if we see ourselves as competitive going into 2020 season, maybe you hang onto him and pay him. But highest paid corner money is a lot these days.

He is under contract this year, then they can tag him in 2020. No real reason to move him quickly.

I would absolutely sign X. Howard long-term. It's a passing league and he's one of the top corners. Purge the vets sure, but keep the young talent in-house.

I'm not paying him as the top CB in the league until he's consistent. 1 year does not a career make.

QB prospect > Xavien Howard.

Make the trade if it helps you actually land a non-loser QB.

I get it, but remember, the odds of your first round QB being elite are very, very slim, with the odds of busting very high. X is a proven, nearly lockdown corner. I would hope they keep him. Trade anyone else you want and amass picks to put together a great package to move up, but not at Xks expense.

Do you always see things in absolute terms?
No one wants to trade him away.
However, Howard poisoned the well when he declared that he wanted to be the highest paid CB in the league. He’s nowhere near that. Top 5, maybe, but not in the class of an elite CB.
Sometimes a player forces a team’s hand. If he’s going to be a difficult negotiation, the FO is left with few choices.
Exactly. Well said. Also we are having some fun here no?

You have a really good player- The type everyone wants to land in a draft. You’re going to trade him, and then what hope you can get a similar guy next year?

My only concern with X is his meniscus -- which I believe has been dinged at least twice -- and as we witnessed years ago with Surtain

that injury just keeps nagging a CB. Point is -- most likely he's gonna need periodic "clean ups" and sooner or later degeneration sets in.

NOT saying trade him. But IMO the long term stability of that knee is at least a factor to consider.

Back
Top Bottom