Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors

X being over valued by the faithful.

"Rams get: CB Marcus Peters, 2018 sixth-round pick

Chiefs get: 2018 fourth-round pick, 2019 second-round pick

That is, frankly, kind of stunning. Peters is one of the most talented cornerbacks in football and just 25 years old. He has 19 interceptions and 55 passes defensed in just three seasons."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ters-trade-includes-no-first-round-picks/amp/

I made this point before, Marcus Peter's actually had really good years from his rookie season on. And he was moved. Can anyone really say X is worth a 1st or multiple 1sts, with such a limited resume? Or that he is worth #1 CB money?

Just a legitimate thought / question.

When is the last time a team won the SB with one of the leagues highest paid CB on their roster?

X being over valued by the faithful.

"Rams get: CB Marcus Peters, 2018 sixth-round pick

Chiefs get: 2018 fourth-round pick, 2019 second-round pick

That is, frankly, kind of stunning. Peters is one of the most talented cornerbacks in football and just 25 years old. He has 19 interceptions and 55 passes defensed in just three seasons."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ters-trade-includes-no-first-round-picks/amp/

I made this point before, Marcus Peter's actually had really good years from his rookie season on. And he was moved. Can anyone really say X is worth a 1st or multiple 1sts, with such a limited resume? Or that he is worth #1 CB money?

Yes, for multiple reasons. First, contracts aren't based on where he specifically rank among fellow CBs. A general range, yes, but not a specific rank. People get so tied up on that. "He's not the #1 CB in the league, so he shouldn't get #1 money." That's just not how it works. Next year, another CB will probably get paid more, and another after that. And I'm not convinced he'll earn #1 money. Probably top 5 salaries range, which is completely reasonable.

Second, you're not paying just to keep a good player. You're also paying to prevent yet another gaping hole in a team otherwise devoid of talent. Further, you're not paying some unknown FA to do it. You're paying a known commodity, unlike all the mid-round draft picks everybody overrates. And let's say you think he should be in the #10 range. Cool, a $2-$3 million dollar difference. Big whoop (relatively speaking).

And what about the message it sends to other players we draft? It's basically telling them they can **** off if they aren't the absolute best at their position or mediocre enough to come cheap.

Pay him.

It’s funny the ones that want to trade him are the 1st ones to bitch and whine when the secondary gets scorched and why this team never gets Interceptions. I’m not just talking about some of the people in here I’m talking about the media as well.

Just a legitimate thought / question.

When is the last time a team won the SB with one of the leagues highest paid CB on their roster?

Ah, the old individual player argument. By that logic, I guess we should have kept Suh. :munch:

This isn't basketball, that's not how it works.

X isn’t just a coverage corner though, he forces turnovers at an outstanding rate

How many 2 int games does he have the last two years? And he led the league in picks in 12 games?

You don’t trade that. Hang on to him

X isn’t just a coverage corner though, he forces turnovers at an outstanding rate

How many 2 int games does he have the last two years? And he led the league in picks in 12 games?

You don’t trade that. Hang on to him

He has 5 2 int games the last 2 years but he has also given up 8 TD's the last 2 years. He gave up 4 TD's in 2017 which lead the team and gave up 4 in 2018 which was 2nd most on the team even though he only played 12 games. Hopefully he can clean that up.

Last edited:
Reactions: A1.
Ah, the old individual player argument. By that logic, I guess we should have kept Suh. :munch:

Tom Brady

His question does interest me. What are the positional trends among SB teams in terms of player salaries? We've all got opinions on this, but I wonder if anyone has run across any charts keeping track of this.

If we trade Howard. Same old Dolphins. Nothing new changed. Period.

If we sign him to a fat contract and he continues with the injuries to the point where his play starts to decline and we're left with an expensive average CB people are going to say same old Dolphins. Nothing new changed.

Damned if they do damned if they don't.

Tom Brady

His question does interest me. What are the positional trends among SB teams in terms of player salaries? We've all got opinions on this, but I wonder if anyone has run across any charts keeping track of this.

Bill Belichick, a good OL, and a defense that always plays well when it matters.

Second highest paid player on the Pats is a CB (who has their largest overall contract). 3rd is a Safety. The Rams have two CBs in the top ten of their salaries, one of which has their 4th highest salary overall behind a RB, WR, and a DT, who has their largest contract.

Do you think we are close to competing? I don't think so. If he can get a first round pick and then some do it. I don't want to tie up money in a db when we are not ready to compete. Especially when he have issues on both sides of the line.
Sure they can compete by making good moves over the next 2 years. Trading one of your best players is not a good move. So if the team doesn't want to compete anytime soon, then sure trade away X, Tunsil, Minkah, Baker, Drake and every other young player on the team. Hey I bet there are some that would love for the team to draft a QB with every pick. The Dolphins can be the first team to trot out 11 QBs on both offense and defense.

Calm down buddy, I didn't have any predisposition. Legitimately asking a question (as I stated) because I was curious.

It wasn't an argument until you made it one. As for Suh...well the Rams paid him $14m for 1 year. He's a rental. So I'm not sure that logic works how you want it to.

At least you gave Hoot a real answer.

Calm down buddy, I didn't have any predisposition. Legitimately asking a question (as I stated) because I was curious.

It wasn't an argument until you made it one. As for Suh...well the Rams paid him $14m for 1 year. He's a rental. So I'm not sure that logic works how you want it to.

At least you gave Hoot a real answer.

Settle down. I mention Suh because one the argument for letting him go is that the defense being mediocre was on him individually. So, by that logic (the logic you’re alluding to), Suh gets full credit for the Rams landing in the Super Bowl Speaking of the Rams, their other DT has their largest contract. Apparently they didn’t read Finheaven to learn that you can’t build a winning team paying a DT that kind of money, but that’s a topic for a different thread. No longer matters now, I guess. We were the real winners with all that sweet, sweet cap space.

The defense got worse without Suh and it will get worse without Howard. Salary cap space isn’t more important than wins.

Back
Top Bottom