Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Has Heard Trade Rumors

Settle down. I mention Suh because one the argument for letting him go is that the defense being mediocre was on him individually. So, by that logic (the logic you’re alluding to), Suh gets full credit for the Rams landing in the Super Bowl Speaking of the Rams, their other DT has their largest contract. Apparently they didn’t read Finheaven to learn that you can’t build a winning team paying a DT that kind of money, but that’s a topic for a different thread. No longer matters now, I guess. We were the real winners with all that sweet, sweet cap space.

The defense got worse without Suh and it will get worse without Howard. Salary cap space isn’t more important than wins.

Donald’s cap hit is no where close to the highest paid interior lineman this year.

Settle down. I mention Suh because one the argument for letting him go is that the defense being mediocre was on him individually. So, by that logic (the logic you’re alluding to), Suh gets full credit for the Rams landing in the Super Bowl Speaking of the Rams, their other DT has their largest contract. Apparently they didn’t read Finheaven to learn that you can’t build a winning team paying a DT that kind of money, but that’s a topic for a different thread. No longer matters now, I guess. We were the real winners with all that sweet, sweet cap space.

The defense got worse without Suh and it will get worse without Howard. Salary cap space isn’t more important than wins.

That's not my argument, and it wasn't the point of my post or the logic I was alluding to. That's where we got off wrong. I don't agree with any of it, FWIW. Suh is just another piece within that team that is absolutely stacked with talent. The Rams signed him to put them over the top because they could and were convinced they could compete.

We are reportedly in rebuilding mode, and gathering ammunition to get a QB is why we're discussing trading Howard. It doesn't have much of anything to do with cap space. Not that I'm in love with a guy who outwardly expresses he wants to be the highest paid anything while still on a rookie contract.

BTW - the Rams are doing all of this big spending after they traded multiple picks to move from 15th to 1st overall to grab Goff. A la, why we are having this discussion in the first place. It's about the QB. If we had ours, I'd say just sign Howard and let's build our defense. The only reason I'd even consider trading Howard is because we don't, and we won't compete for anything until we do.

Suh didn't stop us from building a successful team, lacking elite play everywhere else to compensate for a middle of the pack QB did.

The original question I posted about CB and SB teams wasn't to imply we couldn't go to the SB with a high-paid corner. It was literally just thinking out loud with a question about our priorities and analyzing teams that have gone to the SB in recent years.

Agree. But if we get offered Rd1 2019 and Rd 1 2020 - I think I’m pulling the trigger.

I don't see that as realistic but I think id rather have a 1 and 3 in 2020. gives me ammo but I will take rasul douglas back now. I think that price is realistic too

rasul douglas now 2020 1 and 3

That's not my argument, and it wasn't the point of my post or the logic I was alluding to. That's where we got off wrong. I don't agree with any of it, FWIW. Suh is just another piece within that team that is absolutely stacked with talent. The Rams signed him to put them over the top because they could and were convinced they could compete.

We are reportedly in rebuilding mode, and gathering ammunition to get a QB is why we're discussing trading Howard. It doesn't have much of anything to do with cap space. Not that I'm in love with a guy who outwardly expresses he wants to be the highest paid anything while still on a rookie contract.

BTW - the Rams are doing all of this big spending after they traded multiple picks to move from 15th to 1st overall to grab Goff. A la, why we are having this discussion in the first place. It's about the QB. If we had ours, I'd say just sign Howard and let's build our defense. The only reason I'd even consider trading Howard is because we don't, and we won't compete for anything until we do.

Suh didn't stop us from building a successful team, lacking elite play everywhere else to compensate for a middle of the pack QB did.

The original question I posted about CB and SB teams wasn't to imply we couldn't go to the SB with a high-paid corner. It was literally just thinking out loud with a question about our priorities and analyzing teams that have gone to the SB in recent years.

To answer your bottom question.

Every team I can remember in recent years has had elite or close to it corner play to make it to the Super Bowl.

Unless your Brady you need a complete team to win it all, can’t just have that qb with a bunch of nobodies everywhere else. You keep your young developed talent and don’t sign FA is the the proper way to rebuild. Miami doesn’t need to tank to get the qb, Eagles and Rams did it just fine while still being a decent team and letting the young QBs have help. Once you gut the team and your qb busts your setback even more years because you let other blue chip players walk or trade them for assets. This ain’t basketball.

He has 5 2 int games the last 2 years but he has also given up 8 TD's the last 2 years. He gave up 4 TD's in 2017 which lead the team and gave up 4 in 2018 which was 2nd most on the team even though he only played 12 games. Hopefully he can clean that up.

they guy has been burned regularly. i really dont think you can get more than a third for him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/xavien-howard-18986/market-value/

Calculated Market Value
$13.5M Avg. Annual Salary
Market Value
  • 5 yrs, $67,642,400
  • Avg. Salary: $13,528,480
  • NFL Rank: 71
  • CB Rank: 7
Current Contract
  • Free Agent: 2020
  • Avg. Salary: $1,532,010
  • NFL Rank: 747
  • CB Rank: 76
We've selected the following players based on their age, contract status, and statistical production to compare Xavien Howard to.

Player
Length Value Avg. Salary Age When Signed
Josh Norman 5 $75,000,000 $15,000,000 28
Patrick Peterson 5 $70,050,000 $14,010,000 24
Stephon Gilmore 5 $65,000,000 $13,000,000 26
Casey Hayward 3 $33,250,000 $11,083,333 28
Averages 4.5 $60,825,000 $13,516,667 26.5

The link also breaks down stats of other players if you are interested.

Sure they can compete by making good moves over the next 2 years. Trading one of your best players is not a good move. So if the team doesn't want to compete anytime soon, then sure trade away X, Tunsil, Minkah, Baker, Drake and every other young player on the team. Hey I bet there are some that would love for the team to draft a QB with every pick. The Dolphins can be the first team to trot out 11 QBs on both offense and defense.

Sweet response.. Some of those players you mentioned are on rookies deals. You don't trade good players on rookie contracts.

I am not paying X as the top CB in the league. Injury concerns and a team that does not have there lines built.

Sure we can compete by making good moves over the next 2 years you say. When could you have not said that about the Dolphins over the last 20 years? I don't trust this team to make good moves until I see it.

The below scenario to me is a good start.

Trade out of the 1st this year, address online and dline in the draft, tank the season, grab a QB round one 2020.

He has 5 2 int games the last 2 years but he has also given up 8 TD's the last 2 years. He gave up 4 TD's in 2017 which lead the team and gave up 4 in 2018 which was 2nd most on the team even though he only played 12 games. Hopefully he can clean that up.

Speaking off memory so correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t two of those to deandre Hopkins? And if I remember right X had Hopkins locked up in the first half it wasn’t till the second half once the wheels fell off did Hopkins start to go off

So Dolphins... Draft a premier player in the 2nd round, trade him for a lotto ticket, use lotto ticket for a bust. Rinse. Repeat.

To answer your bottom question.

Every team I can remember in recent years has had elite or close to it corner play to make it to the Super Bowl.

Unless your Brady you need a complete team to win it all, can’t just have that qb with a bunch of nobodies everywhere else. You keep your young developed talent and don’t sign FA is the the proper way to rebuild. Miami doesn’t need to tank to get the qb, Eagles and Rams did it just fine while still being a decent team and letting the young QBs have help. Once you gut the team and your qb busts your setback even more years because you let other blue chip players walk or trade them for assets. This ain’t basketball.

“This ain’t basketball.” You guys crack me up. Meanwhile I’ll hear bitching and moaning when we’re left at the altar for the QB crop because we can’t get to a top pick.

We can resign X, I wouldn’t be opposed. If a team with a top 15 pick came knocking I’d probably take it. That’s my stance.

Speaking off memory so correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t two of those to deandre Hopkins? And if I remember right X had Hopkins locked up in the first half it wasn’t till the second half once the wheels fell off did Hopkins start to go off

No X only gave up 1 TD to Hopkins on an inside slant in the RZ. X played a good game 4 targets and 3 catches for 23 yards but if you want to be an elite CB and be paid like the best CB you can't give up 8 TD's in 2 year. The RZ is where you want to play your best.

Reactions: A1.
players like howard and tunsil are only stars/ trade bait in our own limited minds.
the rest of the league is not that impressed. if anyone was willing to give up a 1st or either they would have been long gone

howard was burned worse than mccain last year,and this last year he had quite an impressive number of toasts to go with the ints.

If a team offers a 2020 first round pick plus a 3rd or something for X. Howard then we have to pull the trigger. You know how tough it is to acquire a 1st round pick for a player? Howard's value will never be any higher than it is right now. While elite CBs are difficult to find, they usually don't maintain that high level of play for very long in the NFL.

Let's cash in while we can and get ammo for our REAL franchise player.... and a REAL difference maker....a QB.

By the time this team is actually ready to compete Howard's play will be on the decline, he will waste his prime years while we are rebuilding, so trade him now. We need more young bodies

“This ain’t basketball.” You guys crack me up. Meanwhile I’ll hear bitching and moaning when we’re left at the altar for the QB crop because we can’t get to a top pick.

We can resign X, I wouldn’t be opposed. If a team with a top 15 pick came knocking I’d probably take it. That’s my stance.

You don’t need to trade great players to get a rookie qb. And no body is trading you a top 15 pick for any player outside a qb.

You don’t need to trade great players to get a rookie qb. And no body is trading you a top 15 pick for any player outside a qb.
If not then we will need enough ammo to trade up to get the choice of the QB we want if that is the way the organization sees it.

Back
Top Bottom