Xavien Howard’s Future | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard’s Future

We are talking about an already proven to be ELITE QB talent, who is only 1 year older than Joe Burrow, who has a fairly reasonable contract for the next 4 years or so. The guy has thrown for almost 15K yards and over 100 TDs in only 3 full years of being a starter, with only 36 INT's. He's won double digit games in 2 of the last 3 years, and he lost his best weapon last year. He made the Playoffs 2 of the past 3 years and had 4 TDs and 1 INT for almost 900 yards.

If it takes 3 first rounders and Tua to get him, we make that trade all day every day. How many 1st rounders did RG3 fetch, and he was horrible and completely unproven.

Additionally, if we have to trade X in lieu of a first rounder or 2, we do it in a heartbeat. 1 out of the top 10 defenses are still in the playoffs, 4 out of the top 6 offenses are still in the playoffs, and they all have star QBs. It would have been all 4 of the top offenses, but surprisingly KC is 6th. And all 9 of the top 9 offenses made the playoffs in general.

Last edited:
We are talking about an already proven to be ELITE QB talent, who is only 1 year older than Joe Burrow, who has a fairly reasonable contract for the next 4 years or so. The guy has thrown for almost 15K yards and over 100 TDs in only 3 full years of being a starter, with only 36 INT's. He's won double digit games in 2 of the last 3 years, and he lost his best weapon last year. He made the Playoffs 2 of the past 3 years and had 4 TDs and 1 INT for almost 900 yards.

If it takes 3 first rounders and Tua to get him, we make that trade all day every day. How many 1st rounders did RG3 fetch, and he was horrible and completely unproven.
No kidding. I don't know where all this negativity and hesitancy comes from. An elite quarterback age 25 buys the franchise potentially a decade or more of extreme relevancy. Everything is cleansed. Free agents will have even more incentive to come here...and will.

It is laughable to assign Watson as a troublemaker. He's stuck in a backwards thinking franchise and the entire league is well aware. Jack Easterby is a nutcase, so bad that Sports Illustrated defined him a second time within months. Easterby was so livid regarding the first treatment he followed the current blueprint of lying about everything while desperately threatening lawsuits to promote fear. Naturally he lied about the lawsuits. And he pointed the deflective finger elsewhere, specifically at Robert Kraft and the Patriots. So familiar. Pick a target everyone is familiar with, and gullible types inclined to think negatively about.

There is value at the extremes. This price looks steep only amidst conventional wisdom ploddery of checking off one position after another. But those positions are never checked or meaningful, no matter how good the occupant is, if the quarterback is not special. That's the current era. If you don't understand the need for a Top 5 quarterback at worst then you don't grasp where the sport is and will remain.

I remember Fran Tarkenton being traded twice within his prime. Hall of Fame player. Those trades only happened because Tarkenton was viewed as a stylistic oddity at the time, a freelancing scrambler who didn't fit the pocket mold. Eventually Bud Grant wised up and recognized that ability was more meaningful than style, so he rescued Tarkenton from the Giants. Handsomely rewarded with three Super Bowl appearances.

Results are never a given. It's all about doing the right thing. No question trading for Watson would be doing the right thing. I have yet to see any proposed price tag that is too high or even logical ballpark.

Neither does Watson. Not saying he isn't a top talent, but, IF (and I doubt it) he demands a trade, HOU will have to take the best offer available - not wait for what they want. And some of these draft scenarios are unrealistic. Not saying HOU will trade him for #3 and Grant, but HOU won't hold all the cards.
Watson has a no trade clause so Houston has no ability to take the best offer available unless Watson agrees to the trade. Watson has the leverage here, not the team.

I am going to laugh pretty hard when the Texans hire the assistant from the chiefs and Watson goes back to texans.

No...

to your title - you spent 90% of it talking about hypothetical trades for Watson.

to your absurd proposals - you would have us return to 20 more years of mediocrity by selling our entire future...smdh

and to your valuation of X - only 2 out of 5 times has he played a full season and put up great stats. Weren't not getting a Jalen Ramsey haul for him.
This

You most definitely trade X in lieu of another 1st round pick. His value is at an all time high now and he is injury prone. If you can flip Tua as well, you do it. Those players are worth a first round pick each. Throw in 18 or 36 and its a fair deal. Salaries absorbed with room for more. Love Allen Robinson. He is top 5 in NFL in receptions while playing on one of the worst offenses. Add him to Parker and Gesicki and Watson has weapons!

No kidding. I don't know where all this negativity and hesitancy comes from. An elite quarterback age 25 buys the franchise potentially a decade or more of extreme relevancy. Everything is cleansed. Free agents will have even more incentive to come here...and will.

It is laughable to assign Watson as a troublemaker. He's stuck in a backwards thinking franchise and the entire league is well aware. Jack Easterby is a nutcase, so bad that Sports Illustrated defined him a second time within months. Easterby was so livid regarding the first treatment he followed the current blueprint of lying about everything while desperately threatening lawsuits to promote fear. Naturally he lied about the lawsuits. And he pointed the deflective finger elsewhere, specifically at Robert Kraft and the Patriots. So familiar. Pick a target everyone is familiar with, and gullible types inclined to think negatively about.

There is value at the extremes. This price looks steep only amidst conventional wisdom ploddery of checking off one position after another. But those positions are never checked or meaningful, no matter how good the occupant is, if the quarterback is not special. That's the current era. If you don't understand the need for a Top 5 quarterback at worst then you don't grasp where the sport is and will remain.

I remember Fran Tarkenton being traded twice within his prime. Hall of Fame player. Those trades only happened because Tarkenton was viewed as a stylistic oddity at the time, a freelancing scrambler who didn't fit the pocket mold. Eventually Bud Grant wised up and recognized that ability was more meaningful than style, so he rescued Tarkenton from the Giants. Handsomely rewarded with three Super Bowl appearances.

Results are never a given. It's all about doing the right thing. No question trading for Watson would be doing the right thing. I have yet to see any proposed price tag that is too high or even logical ballpark.
I respect your position Awsi, I’m just not sold on Watson. His best year statistically was this year and the team only won 4 games. I guess I’m not sold on him being “elite” - for me, meaning, we’d be a relevant team no matter who we have at the other positions like what goes on around Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Mahomes etc. You almost never see a 4-12 season on teams w truly elite QBs. There's something missing for me - he had been sacked a lot - especially for an extremely mobile athlete. That bothers me some I must admit. Just not sure I give up my entire team for him.

Watson has a no trade clause so Houston has no ability to take the best offer available unless Watson agrees to the trade. Watson has the leverage here, not the team.
nah the team does. They can hold him all the way to training camp and if watson holds out, into the season he will lose millions. Once it hits a players pocketbook, the more likely they take things seriously. The texans could play hardball like that. I think they will let things go and eventually try to work with Watson again or get a hc he likes.

Additionally, if we have to trade X in lieu of a first rounder or 2, we do it in a heartbeat. 1 out of the top 10 defenses are still in the playoffs, 4 out of the top 6 offenses are still in the playoffs, and they all have star QBs. It would have been all 4 of the top offenses, but surprisingly KC is 6th. And all 9 of the top 9 offenses made the playoffs in general.
Is he really elite though? His best season they went 4-12. He’s been sacked a ton for a mobile guy - is his pocket awareness and decision making elite? Compare to Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Mahomes, Peyton, Brees - their teams don’t go 4-12 even when they have little talent around them. NE won SBs where their best WR was Edelman. Good player but gave you nothing down the field. Something doesn’t add up for me. Good or very good QB. Elite? I’m not on board.

I agree with Watson's leverage, but no team is going to offer 'way too much' just because DW wants to go there. In fact, it's more likely 'oh, DW wants to come here? We'll give our 7th and a PS guy

I agree with Watson's leverage, but no team is going to offer 'way too much' just because DW wants to go there. In fact, it's more likely 'oh, DW wants to come here? We'll give our 7th and a PS guy
Watson definitely has leverage but Houston is still gonna get a bigger haul than you think. At least a player, two firsts, and a second for sure.

Is he really elite though? His best season they went 4-12. He’s been sacked a ton for a mobile guy - is his pocket awareness and decision making elite? Compare to Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Mahomes, Peyton, Brees - their teams don’t go 4-12 even when they have little talent around them. NE won SBs where their best WR was Edelman. Good player but gave you nothing down the field. Something doesn’t add up for me. Good or very good QB. Elite? I’m not on board.
In all fairness the Texans D was horrible. They were bottom 5 overall. They gave up the most rushing yards per attempt in the NFL, they only had 3 INTS all year which was by far the worst in the NFL. And yes, when you have a 70% completion AND lead the league in YPA, you have elite decision making ability.

I don't even look at his passing yards because they might be inflated due to playing from behind. His QBR, his completion %, and his ability to make plays over 20 yards are all among the league's best. That says a lot.

Additionally, Brady is the GOAT, Drew Brees has had 6 losing seasons, Aaron Rodgers 2, Peyton Manning 2, Big Ben none but he was 0-2 in 2019. And all those QB's are Hall of Famers. So to even put him in the discussion with them is saying a lot about Watson. He's just getting started.

In all fairness the Texans D was horrible. They were bottom 5 overall. They gave up the most rushing yards per attempt in the NFL, they only had 3 INTS all year which was by far the worst in the NFL. And yes, when you have a 70% completion AND lead the league in YPA, you have elite decision making ability.

I don't even look at his passing yards because they might be inflated due to playing from behind. His QBR, his completion %, and his ability to make plays over 20 yards are all among the league's best. That says a lot.

Additionally, Brady is the GOAT, Drew Brees has had 6 losing seasons, Aaron Rodgers 2, Peyton Manning 2, Big Ben none but he was 0-2 in 2019. And all those QB's are Hall of Famers. So to even put him in the discussion with them is saying a lot about Watson. He's just getting started.
You may be right. I personally wouldn’t have the stones to make such a trade. But I’m not the GM so there’s that!!!

Watson definitely has leverage but Houston is still gonna get a bigger haul than you think. At least a player, two firsts, and a second for sure.

I was hoping to make my example trade so ridiculous everyone would know it was an example. Yeah, it will be more than that

Back
Top Bottom