XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS

Tonight on XTRA 570 in San Diego it was reprted that Miami may trade Patrick Surtain and our #2 pick overall for QB Phillip Rivers and San Diego's top 1st Round pick (#12 overall I believe it said). Supposedly the chargers really want WR Braylon Edwards and are willing to take the cap hit on Rivers to get him and Surtain.

I'd do that in an instant with some sort of later round pick tossed in this year or next year. Rivers excites me, I like him way better then any of this years QB prospects, and really anyone in this entire draft. Bring Rivers to Miami!

I am not a fan of Rivers or the top 2 qbs this year. To take Rivers and give Surtain to the Chargers and let them draft a franchise wr with our #2 pick is crazy. We have to play them this year. I am all for picking up a couple of draft picks, but I don't want to help a team go from good to great.

I'm a huge fan of Rivers. I'd love to see him in a Miami uniform.

Rivers played in more of a pro style offense, whereas Smith lined up predominantly in the shotgun. All Rivers did in college was embarass top competition and do a great impersonation of Peyton Manning at the LOS. Bobby Bowden called him the best player he ever coached against.

So do we know if this is a BS rumor or can someone actually verify this who lives out in California?

I'm all about it. Rivers is sweet, one of the top 3 RB's will probably still be available at #12 and we get an extra pick on top of that. Everybody wins...

Are you guys kidding me? How is this a fair deal? To drop down from #2 to #12 would require Rivers and their #12 alone. To throw in Surtain makes this a terrible deal for Miami. First of all I think Rivers is a 2nd rd worthy pick. The senior bowl pushed him from at best late 1st to the #4 pick somehow. Guy is Bernie Kosar without the smarts. IF SD wants the #2 they need to give Miami both their 1st rd picks. Sounds like a Hacksaw type of rumor - complete BS!

Rich22 said:
Are you guys kidding me? How is this a fair deal? To drop down from #2 to #12 would require Rivers and their #12 alone. To throw in Surtain makes this a terrible deal for Miami. First of all I think Rivers is a 2nd rd worthy pick. The senior bowl pushed him from at best late 1st to the #4 pick somehow. Guy is Bernie Kosar without the smarts. IF SD wants the #2 they need to give Miami both their 1st rd picks. Sounds like a Hacksaw type of rumor - complete BS!

I disagree, I like Rivers better than Smith and MUCH more than Rodgers.

FaninPatsyLand said:
So do we know if this is a BS rumor or can someone actually verify this who lives out in California?

The rumor may turn out to be BS. But the poster is easily vouched for.

SkapePhin said:
Hmmm.. Id take that.. Rivers is better than both Rodgers and Smith imo.. But I would need another pick thrown in as well.

If Rivers is better than Rodgers and Smith, it's kind of like getting the 12th overall for Surtain.

I think this trade is too lop-sided in the Fins favor. Has Rivers' stock fallen that much?

TouchMyMarino said:
If Rivers is better than Rodgers and Smith, it's kind of like getting the 12th overall for Surtain.

I think this trade is too lop-sided in the Fins favor. Has Rivers' stock fallen that much?

If Brees is the real deal, and they are serious about sticking with him (which looks to be the case) they aren't gonna let Rivers sit there and rot. Mind as well get something for the guy. He has already sat out an entire year, and if he sits out again, his stock is going to plummet.

I think SD would have to give up more for this deal to work. Rivers is a QB. But Surtain is a proven All-Pro CB. Breaks down as......

Miami gets
Uber talented but unproven QB
#12 pick

San Diego gets
Proven All-Pro CB
#2 pick

Then again, San Diego is eating a huge signing bonus and Miami benefits from not owing one dollar of it.

This trade sounds great IMO. I don't think it'll happen though, SD would be smart to keep him around for one more year, If Brees falls back and plays like he did before the '04 season than it would make Aj Smith look terrible, I still think Brees is on a short-leash in SD and Rivers will be there long-term answer at Qb. SD may love Braylon Edwards but still, Drew Brees has to perform this year or Rivers will be there starting Qb in '06. Also SD can still get a very good WR in the draft at the 12 spot or 28 spot. Comparing the Qb's I would rank Rivers ahead of Smith and Rodgers right now because he's had a year in the NFL, but I think Smith/Rodgers have more long term potential.

Some of you have to be kidding.

We Get:
Rivers
12th overall

We Lose:
Surtain
2nd Overall

Lets say we dont do this we get Smith and a 2nd rounder (if someone finally makes the deal).

So what would you rather have?

Rivers and a 1st (high first)

or

Smith and a 2nd.

If this deal has some merit to it the dolphins should be all over it.

Back
Top Bottom