XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS

total BS

the Bolts cannot afford the cap hits involved here

and there aren't any Bolt fans talking about it

PhinsPhan said:
So what would you rather have?

Rivers and a 1st (high first)
or
Smith and a 2nd.

Neither. :wink:

FaninPatsyLand said:
So do we know if this is a BS rumor or can someone actually verify this who lives out in California?

I live in Hollywood and I listen to Xtra 690. They also share the dial with LA's 1150. Maybe in SD its 570. Here it is 690 though.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Tonight on XTRA 570 in San Diego it was reprted that Miami may trade Patrick Surtain and our #2 pick overall for QB Phillip Rivers and San Diego's top 1st Round pick (#12 overall I believe it said). Supposedly the chargers really want WR Braylon Edwards and are willing to take the cap hit on Rivers to get him and Surtain.

Personally I think I'd also want a 2nd rounder next year for that trade to work for me.

That wouldn't be a bad trade. He became a hot commodity after the Senior Bowl. He's a smart, accurate passer, but does not have exceptional arm strenghth. I don't believe he grades out any better than Rodgers or Smith. So, in essence we would be trading Surtain for the 12th pick in the draft.
You get a young QB and you can possibly get a Williamson (WR) or possibly even the top LB (Johnson) or Merriman.

I hate these radio reports of wishful thinking. They dont make any senseYou can tell they are just trying to stir things up.

nepaica said:
That is not a good trade for us. We should be getting a second this year

thats more than good enough for us! rivers is better than any qb's in the draft and we'd still probably be able to get caddy williams or benson.

I followed Rivers the last 2 years of his college career....all the guy did was lead his team despite not having similar talent around him, particularly his senior year, he had no OL and no recievers. He has a strong enough arm and the smarts for this level, but not getting into camp last year gave Brees the opportunity and he took it.

Here's the deal tho...If I'm AJ Smith, why would I make this deal...I already know I can manage the cap with both guys. My secondary wasn't littered with All-Pros, but was strong. Brees came on and played well. If he plays well again this year, then I can still make the same trade with someone next year. If Brees proves to be a 1 year wonder, I still have Rivers and can move Brees out much cheaper next year than this year. Remember, Brees is franchise tagged, that means although I am paying him top dollar this year, I can release him, re-tag him or trade him w/o major consequences (cap-wise) next year as easily as this year. Besides, there is a power struggle going on between Smith and Marty...if the team has a mediocre year or doesn't live up to expectations this season, Marty will be gone and it'll be easier for him to move personnel with a new coach coming in...JMHO, but this trade makes no sense for SD and IMO requires a little more comp to the Fins to be completed.

I dont understand why everyone immediately turned this down.

Rivers is a better QB than Smith. No question there. I dont think anyone can honestly argue that. If Leinhart was around, Smith would slip seep.

That being said, if we really want a QB it is better to trade our 1st for Rivers. I hate to do it, because i dont want to draft a QB, but if Saban really wants one, it is more beneficial.
Now, that being said, we also 'unload' Surtain for a 1st rounder. 12th overall. Compare that to what the Chiefs offer. Not even close.

This is a great deal. If and only if Saban wants QB

For what it's worth, Id make the trade. I too think Rivers is going to be a gem. I liked him beter than Eli and Big Ben. Eli actually was my least favorite of the 3 comingout. Not that my opinion really matters....

In essence we give our #2 to SD for Rivers, and Pat for their #12. Better that KC's #46.

I think saban is more creative than that, and stockpiling picks is the goal here. We will trade out of #2, and probably trade down again after that.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Tonight on XTRA 570 in San Diego it was reprted that Miami may trade Patrick Surtain and our #2 pick overall for QB Phillip Rivers and San Diego's top 1st Round pick (#12 overall I believe it said). Supposedly the chargers really want WR Braylon Edwards and are willing to take the cap hit on Rivers to get him and Surtain.

Personally I think I'd also want a 2nd rounder next year for that trade to work for me.

I like this trade but....

River's was 4th overall to the Giants last year.....yet they want us to give them a 2nd overall and Pat and move down 10 spots. They need to sweeten the deal more.

I think it's BS as well. But, let's consider:

Right now, if we were fortunate to get a 2nd from KC and stay where we are ... and draft Alex Smith, we get:

1) Alex Smith - QB

2) #46 in draft from KC - perhaps a 2nd tier RB or WR?

If we make the trade, we get:

1) Philip Rivers - QB

2) #12 pick in draft - a shot at a very good WR (Troy Williamson?) and even a shot at one of the top 3 RB's - or one of the top defensive players (like Merriman).

So, we're looking at:

1 - Smith and a 2nd round player

2 - Rivers and a Williamson / Merriman / Barron / or one of the RB's or another top defender.

I think I'd consider this trade pretty seriously.

The real factor would be, does Saban like Rivers better than Smith. I think it's hard to scout Rivers or know how good he really is at this point - since Saban didn't get a chance to interview him and run him through his own regimen. But, if he thinks Rivers is equal to Smith - I'd take this trade!

I don't know if this trade is legit or not, but I"m leaning towards 'not'...If however, it is on the level I think the finances make it hard to ignore. By not having a signing bonus on Rivers' contract, we can:

1) cut him or trade him with no adverse affects if needed.
Drafting the wrong pick at #2 can mess with our cap for years.

2) restructure his contract more easily to create cap savings -- we'd be creating a signing bonus, not adding to one.

The question is, if both Rivers and Smith were available at #2, would you think one is clearly better than the other?

I live in NC...and IF that were to happen...I'd run the streets naked for a week! Rivers is a flat out stud...period. Danny wanted us to trade up for him last year.

It won't happen...it's too good to be true.

merlin00069 said:
Hmm...i actually like the 2 QB' sin the draft more than i like Rivers but that would mean we get a potential franchise QB , get rid of Surtain and a first round pick that we can more than likely get one of the RB's also(assuming its the12 and not the 28)? Hmm..this is the best scenario i've ever seen and id take this in a heartbeat....dont see it happening though

FYI...the two QB's in the draft this year couldn't carry Rivers jock strap.

_dan24 said:
When did they need a CB? :confused: The have 3 pretty good ones that I know of...

They need an extra one now that they have to put TWO on Randy Moss twice a year.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom