XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS

Martel said:
Rivers throws like a girl.

THat's the most rediculous remark I've read...and if you are kidding fine...but if you really think that...you have no clue.

Maybe this isn't a BS rumor.

Boomer has been saying that we have been calling Thomas Davis everyday and that obviously means we would love to have him if we trade down and he wouldn't be a reach at NO 12. We could also get Rolle or we could get Merriman if Johnson falls to the Cowboys, and if they pick Merriman we pick DJ. That's if DJ falls that far which I doubt.

Rivers has pretty much the same arm strength and accuracy as Smith has coming out so I would do this trade in a second. Plus he played in a more pro style offense as someone else said in the thread and he can make calls at the line of scrimmage and help keep himself protected.

EDIT: Or we could take any one of the great offensive players left on the board.

infiltrateib said:
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

How is this not good for us? We skip the huge signing bonus, grab a guy who'd be a top 5 pick this year, and still get Alex Barron or a Big 3RB if they slide that far (eh).

I'd do it in a heartbeat. If we can get more, fine, but I'd still do it for that.

I agree. Barron, Pac-Man, Carnell or maybe even D.J.

Rich22 said:
Are you guys kidding me? How is this a fair deal? To drop down from #2 to #12 would require Rivers and their #12 alone. To throw in Surtain makes this a terrible deal for Miami. First of all I think Rivers is a 2nd rd worthy pick. The senior bowl pushed him from at best late 1st to the #4 pick somehow. Guy is Bernie Kosar without the smarts. IF SD wants the #2 they need to give Miami both their 1st rd picks. Sounds like a Hacksaw type of rumor - complete BS!

You my friend...obviously have no clue when it comes to Rivers.

And as the other guy stated...it's the equivalent of drafting Rivers at #2 instead of Smith and getting the 12th for Surtain. Use your head...that's way more than well get for Surtain.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Tonight on XTRA 570 in San Diego it was reprted that Miami may trade Patrick Surtain and our #2 pick overall for QB Phillip Rivers and San Diego's top 1st Round pick (#12 overall I believe it said). Supposedly the chargers really want WR Braylon Edwards and are willing to take the cap hit on Rivers to get him and Surtain.

Personally I think I'd also want a 2nd rounder next year for that trade to work for me.

let me get this straight...philip rivers and their #12 is equal to surtain and our #2?

that's insane. i would pass on that and take a chance on one of the QB's in the draft. if they really want edwards then they are gonna have to anti up a few more draft picks in my opnion. rivers and their second rounder for surtain maybe, but not this.

DOLPHAN1 said:
let me get this straight...philip rivers and their #12 is equal to surtain and our #2?

that's insane. i would pass on that and take a chance on one of the QB's in the draft. if they really want edwards then they are gonna have to anti up a few more draft picks in my opnion. rivers and their second rounder for surtain maybe, but not this.

Dude THINK...geez...look...let's say Rivers re-entered the draft...and he's available...we draft him #2, and trade Surtain for the Chargers 12th. How do you not get that? We get a top notch QB for our 2nd and we get a 12th for Surtain. Come ON man...that's so lopsided in our favor it makes me think even more that the rumor is BS. Rivers was one of the top 4 QB's in last years draft and all four are way better than the two this year. Not even close.

i think this is great for us
rivers>#2nd pick
1st rounder>surtain

DOLPHAN1 said:

Wait...apparantly a lot of us dolfans have gotten extremely greedy.

So.....last year's #4 this years #12 for this year's #2 and Surtain is not a good deal? First, like previously mentioned....We weren't going to get a #1 for Surtain.

Secondly....Rivers has the advantage over any of the 2 QBs in this years draft being that he has had the chance to sit behind a veteran and learn professional football. Potential starter, guys, and a better chance at being a franchise QB than the two coming out. I would take this deal in a heartbeat.

That being said....if we could get another pick in this...yeah that would be awesome.

Phintasy said:
Dude THINK...geez...look...let's say Rivers re-entered the draft...and he's available...we draft him #2, and trade Surtain for the Chargers 12th. How do you not get that? We get a top notch QB for our 2nd and we get a 12th for Surtain. Come ON man...that's so lopsided in our favor it makes me think even more that the rumor is BS. Rivers was one of the top 4 QB's in last years draft and all four are way better than the two this year. Not even close.

you have your thought on this and i have mine. if the goal for saban is to stock pile picks then this is a terrible idea. i still think there is more value in surtain than just the #12 pick over-all. call me crazy here but the only thing i see lopsided is the cap hit that SD will have to take to make the deal. like some have already posted as well, this is only good if saban wants a QB and nothing points to that. we have a couple of solid QB's now; one a known comodity and another that deserves more scrutiny.

everyone knows the draft is a crap shoot, and this year there is no real clear cut dominant player. this is the ideal year to load up on picks and get as many above average players as possible. regardless of rivers abilities i think this trade would inhibit saban from obtaining his goal...get more picks. bad trade, and that is just one fans opinion,

DOLPHAN1 said:
you have your thought on this and i have mine. if the goal for saban is to stock pile picks then this is a terrible idea. i still think there is more value in surtain than just the #12 pick over-all. call me crazy here but the only thing i see lopsided is the cap hit that SD will have to take to make the deal. like some have already posted as well, this is only good if saban wants a QB and nothing points to that. we have a couple of solid QB's now; one a known comodity and another that deserves more scrutiny.

everyone knows the draft is a crap shoot, and this year there is no real clear cut dominant player. this is the ideal year to load up on picks and get as many above average players as possible. regardless of rivers abilities i think this trade would inhibit saban from obtaining his goal...get more picks. bad trade, and that is just one fans opinion,

Dude...we will never get a 1st for Surtain...agreed? You keep saying Saban want's to "stock pile" picks...I've NEVER read where Saban said that. The only things I've read he's said is that he wants to build through the draft, and that he'd follow the value chart closely. It's also been report he wants a "first day pick" for Surtain. Well if he DOES follow that value chart then the 12th overall has way more value than any combination of later picks...and in turn is way more for Surtain than he's asking.

I don't have the chart infront of me, but I bet the 4th overall last year plus this years 12th grade out as more value than our 2nd and what he want's for Surtain...a "first day pick". TO went for a 2nd....so let's give Surtain a value of a 2nd...that's still not enough to equal a 4th and 12th in the first.

DOLPHAN1 said:

What? We're fortunate if we get a 2nd for Surtain. This goes back to all the arguments as to why we can only get a 2nd for Surtain and why it's best to take that deal. The arguments for it overwhelmingly favor doing that move. And, if that move is worthwhile, then this move is. Essentially you would be trading this year's top pick for Rivers (who is generally considered better than either of the two QB's at the top this year) and SD's #12 selection for Surtain. That's better than anything we could hope for from Surtain. When you see it this way (assuming a trade of Surtain to the Chiefs for their 2nd rounder), the choices are:

1) Our #2 (say Smith at QB) and KC's #46 - yielding mid-2nd round talent;

or

2) Philip Rivers (considered at least the equal of the other QB's) and SD's #12 in the 1st round - tons of possibilities. Even trading down from there, we could get another 1st and mid 2nd!

that said, it's virtually impossible SD makes this trade given the cap implications they will face.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Tonight on XTRA 570 in San Diego it was reprted that Miami may trade Patrick Surtain and our #2 pick overall for QB Phillip Rivers and San Diego's top 1st Round pick (#12 overall I believe it said). Supposedly the chargers really want WR Braylon Edwards and are willing to take the cap hit on Rivers to get him and Surtain.

Personally I think I'd also want a 2nd rounder next year for that trade to work for me.

That would seem like a good trade, but i think that the Chargers should trade the #12 pick,Rivers and a 2nd or 3rd rounder aswell.

Rivers has mediocre arm strength???

He totally dispelled ANY rumors of that during his Senior Bowl display. Before the 2004 draft, many on this site were citing his release and how it is similar to Marino's. His throwing MOTION is totally different, but his release gave me chill bumps. I wanted him last year, and would totally take this trade if it held water. Of course, there are so many variables with a trade like this, that I DOUBT it would happen.

Rivers in a Miami uniform would be a great sight. He's big (6' 5", 229 lbs) and has the potential to be a great QB. He's not a DUMB QB by any stretch of the imagination, either on the field or in the classroom. He scored a 30 on his Wonderlic. Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25. I think the highest of the big names in that particular draft was Eli Manning, with a 39. Eli smoked the field on that one. Kellen Winslow scored a 12. (just FYI)

Here's a link to last year's draftees Wonderlic scores:

http://www.bendomenech.com/blog/archives/001444.html

Here's another link to this year's potential draftees Wonderlic scores:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/combine.php?&sortorder=test&order=DESC

DOLFANMIKE said:

I personally prefer the trade with Tampa, would give us more picks.....and we still have Surtain to deal for a second rounder. What you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom