XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS

Is anyone else tired of reading the "guarantees" and "trust me" comments on this site? Did I mention that Rivers throws like a big, 6'5, playing in the NFL, girl?

DOLFANMIKE said:
Tonight on XTRA 570 in San Diego it was reprted that Miami may trade Patrick Surtain and our #2 pick overall for QB Phillip Rivers and San Diego's top 1st Round pick (#12 overall I believe it said). Supposedly the chargers really want WR Braylon Edwards and are willing to take the cap hit on Rivers to get him and Surtain.

Personally I think I'd also want a 2nd rounder next year for that trade to work for me.

Figure Rivers was the 4th pick in the draft and Surtain is worth an early 2nd round pick..... IMO this is a good trade for us.

San Diego gives up the 4th pick in the draft and the 12th pick in the draft
Miami gives up the 2nd pick in the draft and an early 2nd rounder.

IMO this is close to fair value.....

patswho? said:
i think this is great for us
rivers>#2nd pick
1st rounder>surtain
Now, here is an intelligent individual. My thoughts exactly. Actually, your sig block is what I'm agreeing with mostly:
fan of trading down to draft shawne merriman, the most talented player in the draft

Last edited by a moderator:
motioncityhifi said:
Never will happen. San Diego takes the huge cap hit and then takes another huge cap hit for signing Edwards. Another BS rumor from another BS radio station

SD has the cap space to take the hit. I think it would be a good trade for both teams. They get a shut down corner and the #2 pick to take Edwards, and we get out of the expensive #2 spot while still possibly getting a franchise QB.

This would be a GREAT trade. we'd get....

1. A QB with a better track record than smith, and at least as much potential WITH a year of NFL experience behind him. Work outs, holding a clipboard, and playing a bit. Cuts out a year of smiths grooming (and smith will HAVE to be groomed, he is very raw).

2. A franchise player at #2.

I'd love to see a 2nd slipped in there, but how the hell do you ask for that? THeir eating a crap load of bonuses, and freeing up our pay roll. In the process we get rivers CHEAP as they eat all of his bonus money over the length of his contract. Well not cheap but comparitively cheap to if we had drafted smith.

Good deal, if it's true we'd be idiots to pass this up.

Wow. Although I'm doubtful this trade will get done, I'd love to see Philip Rivers as a Dolphin. The kid is going to be special. Even Marino thought so when he worked him out last year.

The only problem I have with that trade scenario is that the Chargers would have to sweeten the pot a bit. I'd be happy with the following trade:

Miami receives:
1) Philip Rivers
2) San Diego's 1st round pick (15th overall)
3) San Diego's 2nd round pick (61st overall)

San Diego receives:
1) Miami's 1st round pick (2nd overall)
2) Patrick Surtain

Phinzone said:
This would be a GREAT trade. we'd get....

1. A QB with a better track record than smith, and at least as much potential WITH a year of NFL experience behind him. Work outs, holding a clipboard, and playing a bit. Cuts out a year of smiths grooming (and smith will HAVE to be groomed, he is very raw).

2. A franchise player at #2.

I'd love to see a 2nd slipped in there, but how the hell do you ask for that? THeir eating a crap load of bonuses, and freeing up our pay roll. In the process we get rivers CHEAP as they eat all of his bonus money over the length of his contract. Well not cheap but comparitively cheap to if we had drafted smith.

Good deal, if it's true we'd be idiots to pass this up.

Wed also be getting Surtain for the #12 pick, which is more than anyone else has offered us until now.

I guess the only question is - do you like Rivers? Anyone that a Rivers fan likes this trade; anyone that doesnt like him will not like it.

Martel said:
Is anyone else tired of reading the "guarantees" and "trust me" comments on this site? Did I mention that Rivers throws like a big, 6'5, playing in the NFL, girl?
Rivers still has a decent NFL arm. By the way who is that in you avitar?

Surferosa said:
Wed also be gettinh Surtain for the #12 pick, which is more than anyone else has offered us until now.

I guess the only question is - do you like Rivers? Anyone that a Rivers fan likes thi trade; anyone that doesnt like him will not like it.

That is the question I guess tha tneeds to be answered. As a guy that followed Rivers his entire NCAA career (was in Raleigh at the time, huge fan) I have to say he's the best QB prospect available in my mind. I'm excited about Rodgers and smith, but NOT like Rivers.

People who argue that he wasn't a first round QB last year were dillustional. The ONLY reason he wasn't rated as a top 10 QB prior to the senior bowl was becasue NC State struggled.

The guy is brilliant, very manningesque. He makes all the reads, and can make all the throws. The ONLY 2 knocks on him were

1. his arm strength
2. his throwing mechanics.

We've seen that his mechanics are serviceable in the NFL. He did fine in his NFL debuts. He's a big enough guy with an incredibly quick release that he'll be fine in teh NFL. you won't see passes batted down at the LOS.

His arm strenght is FINE. He doesn't have the strongest arm in the NFL, but it IS enough. He's got an amazing zip on his ball. His deep ball is adequate, but nothing to rave about. THE DIFFERENCE is that he is INSANELY accurate. Meaning every pass hits his receiver in stride giving that receiver premium oppertunities for YAC. Ask yourself the question. Would you rather have a guy that can throw a 70 yard jump ball, or a guy who can hit chambers in with a laser in stride from 45 yards out?.....i'll take the guy with the incredibly accurate laser ANY day.

You people know I'm a huge rivers fan. i really think he's teh best QB to come out from last year. Eli is over rated IMO. Big Ben is good, and has better physical tools, but Rivers feels the fame.

This is all of course a moot point, as this won't happen. But man, it would be awesome.

Phinzone,

Do you have an old highlight film of Rivers anywhere?

Surferosa said:
Phinzone,

Do you have an old highlight film of Rivers anywhere?

not anymore, i used to. I can dig through my old threads and we can hope their still hosted, but i highly doubt it. There was one from a Kansas game if I remember right..lemme dig for a bit.

Man.. I want Rivers too.. :( If only there was a way...

I do NOT want Smith or Rodgers though.. Overhyped and overrated in my mind.

MrClean said:
Now, here is an intelligent individual. My thoughts exactly. Actually, your sig block is what I'm agreeing with mostly:
fan of trading down to draft shawne merriman, the most talented player in the draft

everyone here that loves this trade seems to be stuck on us picking QB at #2 being a certainty. if that's true, then fine, rivers is a better choice than any QB's in this years draft. in that case, yes rivers for #2 is good.

let's look at this another way; rivers for the posibility of what the #2 pick could bring us is not good. i would take any of the top 3 RB's or alternate picks over rivers. the league has proven that a team with a strong defense, talent at RB and WR can win with less than stellar talent under center.

ok. lets try another way. lets face it, this is a pick and player for pick and player trade. one trade involving these "items". the players...surtain, a three time pro-bowler proven vet in his prime for the prospect of a QB that no one on this board can agree upon his talent level for.... the picks...#2 for #12 straight....i don't think so. if we make this trade then we are more desperate than i thought. and, maybe, rick really is in charge.

this trade is wrong in my opinion and i think we would be crazy to persue it. again, just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom