XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

XTRA 570 is SAN DIEGO REPORTS POSSIBLE TRADE WITH SD FOR PHILLIP RIVERS

DOLFANMIKE said:
Tonight on XTRA 570 in San Diego it was reprted that Miami may trade Patrick Surtain and our #2 pick overall for QB Phillip Rivers and San Diego's top 1st Round pick (#12 overall I believe it said). Supposedly the chargers really want WR Braylon Edwards and are willing to take the cap hit on Rivers to get him and Surtain.

Personally I think I'd also want a 2nd rounder next year for that trade to work for me.
That better not happen or I'll be like the simleys:fire::yell:.

Most scouts agree that Rivers is way better than Smith or Rodgers. I have seen similar stories about the 49ers trading #1 for Rivers and SD 2nd round pick.

Rich22 said:
Are you guys kidding me? How is this a fair deal? To drop down from #2 to #12 would require Rivers and their #12 alone. To throw in Surtain makes this a terrible deal for Miami. First of all I think Rivers is a 2nd rd worthy pick. The senior bowl pushed him from at best late 1st to the #4 pick somehow. Guy is Bernie Kosar without the smarts. IF SD wants the #2 they need to give Miami both their 1st rd picks. Sounds like a Hacksaw type of rumor - complete BS!
Dude, You are absolutely clueless if you think Philip Rivers is Bernie Kosar without the smarts. As someone who has followed his career from his very 1st college game, I can say that his very best attribute is what's between his ears. Rivers is the son of a high school coach.....he was raised on a football field. All this guy did, was to learn Bobby Bowden's complex offense in one summer and start from day one in college. In his first college game, he threw for over 400 yards and led his team to a last minute victory.

AND as for the comment that he "throws like a girl"....the reason he developed the funny motion was due to the fact that when he was a kid, he always played with regulation size footballs at his father's practices. His hands were too small to grip the ball, so he layed the ball back into the palm of his hand for a better grip. As he grew, his coaches left his motion alone due to the fact that he was completing around 65% of his passes.

Personally, I don't care if he throws it underhanded as long as he is accurate. The man is 6'5" tall, so don't start bitching about his balls being knocked down at the line of scrimmage either.

My point is guys......don't bash or criticize what you know nothing about. Rivers is the man, and if Saban figures out a way to get him, the Dolphins would reap the rewards for years.

If we go QB, Rivers is the way to go.. But that is probably impossible to do with his contract being what it is and the huge cap hit SD would take.

SpeedRush99 said:
Depends which of their 1st rounders its for, either way I'd like to see at the very least a 4th thrown in there.

Same here.

If we did this, who do you guys think we would draft at the number 12 pick? Would one of the three big RB's still be there?

SABA-TOOTH said:
Its A Bs Rumor...another One

How do you know? I've heard this about three times on different boards from different people.

Is there a link or anything to this rumor? I still think we'd have to get another draft pick somewhere. 3rd or 4th maybe. I don't know...:confused:

OH NO! Not Rivers talk again. This guy just won't go away! Last year at this time...it was all Rivers all the time.

Hopefully, we draft some real players that get be on the field. Hopefully, this is just a QB headfake...and we get targeted productive players at RB, WR, DT, S, & LT.

I want to start by saying, i would do this trade.

1. You get a QB with experience and young, as opposed to one fresh out of college
2. It is virtually a 1st rounder for Surtain. That is where we make up the difference in us giving up our #2, Surtain would never net us a 1st, let alone that high

The only advantage Smith would have over Rivers in the fact that we will run the same system that he is used to.... Not enough of an advantage in my eyes, considering that if we picked Alex, he would not start this year anyway.....

DOLFANMIKE said:
Tonight on XTRA 570 in San Diego it was reprted that Miami may trade Patrick Surtain and our #2 pick overall for QB Phillip Rivers and San Diego's top 1st Round pick (#12 overall I believe it said). Supposedly the chargers really want WR Braylon Edwards and are willing to take the cap hit on Rivers to get him and Surtain.

Personally I think I'd also want a 2nd rounder next year for that trade to work for me.

I'd actually rather the tampa deal...but this is probobly gonna happen cause were gonna end up giving a 2006 1st for shaun alexander or edge and then we'd have a qb with a great arm and accuracy and a top 15 pick which we could grab Alex Barron or Derrick Johnson if he somehow falls or Shawne Merriman...or someone else

I don't have much faith in this happening b/c everytime I hear a rumor from that radio station it turns out to be bogus.

There are several inaccurate posts in this thread though. First, the cap hit can be absorbed by the Chargers. The guy who ran through the calculations severly overestimated the cap hit associated with the draft picks.

Second, the only two comparisons of draft grades between last and this year that I've seen posted on this site(or anywhere else for that matter b/c i've been looking), showed that both QBs this year graded out higher than Rivers last year. Now I'm a huge Rivers fan so I would love this trade to go through (assuming SD sweetens it a little), but Smith and Rodgers are more highly rated prospects coming out of college. They also have a higher upside.

So we get a first rounder (Rivers) for a second rounder (Surtain) and we get a #12 for our #2? Sounds like we lose out on the #2 for the #12. We should be getting another pick, another 2nd or 3rd round pick as it doesn't seem to equal out.

LostInPatsLand said:
I like Mr. Smith better than Rivers, but what do I know?

Rivers was the fourth overall pick last year. We'd still have a chance at one of the top backs at number 12; Brown seems to be slipping. Plus imagine all the cap room we would clear up. If Saban likes Rivers, I'd do it.

I would highly doubt that one of the top three running backs would be still around at the number 12 pick....but Spears would be, Merriman may...and Clayton would. The cap ,space wouldn't be too far different...perhaps in the first year or two...but baby look out after that.

The only way I would take that deal is if the Chargers throw in their second round pick....Rivers and the Chargers 12th pick would barely equal the Dolphins 2nd pick....they have to pay for Surtain, with that 2nd rounder.

I personally would absolutly love this trade if it went through. As mentioned before, we get the 2004 #4 overall draft pick and the 2005 #12 overall draft pick for surtain, not to mention, not having to pay for Rivers' big time signing bonus. I don't know how it would come out as far as the draft value chart, but we'd be getting 2 high first round picks for a mid 2nd rounder (suratin's best market value) and the #2 overall this year.

I would love to see an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder being thrown in there, but if that doesn't happen, just think of SD eating Rivers' bonus the equivelent of a mid 2nd rounder

Never will happen. San Diego takes the huge cap hit and then takes another huge cap hit for signing Edwards. Another BS rumor from another BS radio station

Back
Top Bottom