Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Fitz

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • Burrow

Votes: 58 12.1%

• Total voters
I've posted this before, so bear with me...

I think that it is quite possible that Tua or Burrow may fall to 4 or 5 in the draft, and even though I'm not really high on drafting one of them, I know that many of you are.

That said, the one area where I am in serious disagreement with the pro draft-a-QB first crowd is in your willingness to trade up for your guy. I'm thinking that this is where many GMs get fleeced by smarter teams.

Realizing that Washington, the Giants, and the Jesters all have as many needs as we do (and pre-existing young QBs), I've got to ask... are you so desperate for Tua or Burrow that you are willing to send 4-5 starters worth of draft picks against the chance that Tua (or Burrow) falls to us? Is that just the kind of desperate trade that many of you have cautioned against for years?

I know that there are many bad mock drafts are out there, but currently... most of the recent ones have Tua falling to us at 4. ...and while I am not high on drafting undersized and injury prone QBs, I am REALLY against trading up to get them.

Show some brass ones Grier... hold your water.

I think the success of Kyler Murray this year with the Cards, is changing the narrative that you give a rookie time by passing on a prospect that's more highly touted. The fact that we gave up a 2nd rounder for Rosen too helps these GMs make the case to cut bait after a shorter period of time. The skins are absolutely going to think long and hard about pulling the trigger on Tua or Burrow if they are sitting at 1 or 2 IMO.

That begs a couple of questions though... 1) Who trades for Haskins when the draft is full of young QBs. and 2) POCKET QBs TAKE LONGER TO DEVELOP AND HAVE LONGER CAREERS.

Plus the fact that the Murray situation was caused by a coaching change where the coach insisted on getting his guy for his system.

Hmmmm......

Isn't that pretty much what I said?

Also, what does Burrow leaving OSU have to do with Haskin's play at Washington.

There are countless very good college QBs, that don't cut it at the NFL level.

No you said Haskins was an "abjacet failure" already, I'm just making the point that Haskins has the rest of the season to prove he's the guy and that he beat out some pretty good QB competition at College so he's not completely devoid of talent as you seem to be inferring.

I think the success of Kyler Murray this year with the Cards, is changing the narrative that you give a rookie time by passing on a prospect that's more highly touted. The fact that we gave up a 2nd rounder for Rosen too helps these GMs make the case to cut bait after a shorter period of time. The skins are absolutely going to think long and hard about pulling the trigger on Tua or Burrow if they are sitting at 1 or 2 IMO.
Winner winner, chicken dinner.

A lot of fans, on both sides of the arguement, dismiss this simple fact.

A good choaching staff, with a good QB, will win a lot more games than an all world QB, with horrible coaches.
We will know when they become pros. Only think. We can do is guess. It work it self out on field.

I doubt the skins give up on Haskins after just one season, specially when the owner is the one that fell in love with him. I don't believe they'd draft a QB top 5. They could however move down for more picks which I hope they don't do if we're drafting behind them.

This is the real risk I think...

I've mentioned the Chargers as the team that I fear here.

Burrow broke his thumb at Ohio State and Haskins was then named the starter by default.

Burrow broke his hand in the previous season, when Barret was the starter, he lost ground to Haskins to be the back up that year. They split reps in practice prior to the 2018 season, Meyer described the race for the starting job as neck and neck. Meyer in the end obviously opted for Haskins and Burrow graduate transferred.

That begs a couple of questions though... 1) Who trades for Haskins when the draft is full of young QBs. and 2) POCKET QBs TAKE LONGER TO DEVELOP AND HAVE LONGER CAREERS.

Plus the fact that the Murray situation was caused by a coaching change where the coach insisted on getting his guy for his system.

Haskins, like Rosen will have value as a cheap back up, this year we've seen in the NFL how important having a good back up is. I don't think many will see Haskins as a starter if he fails to get the skins out of the top 2 picks in the draft but someone may be tempted to flip the skins a 3 rounder for him.

There will be a coaching change at Washington if they are picking top 2, that coach will want his own guy most probably.

Haskins, like Rosen will have value as a cheap back up, this year we've seen in the NFL how important having a good back up is. I don't think many will see Haskins as a starter if he fails to get the skins out of the top 2 picks in the draft but someone may be tempted to flip the skins a 3 rounder for him.

There will be a coaching change at Washington if they are picking top 2, that coach will want his own guy most probably.
Both are certainly possible, but I dont think there will be an ownership change... and the owner was the one enamoured with Haskins.

We wont know for awhile though...

No you said Haskins was an "abjacet failure" already, I'm just making the point that Haskins has the rest of the season to prove he's the guy and that he beat out some pretty good QB competition at College so he's not completely devoid of talent as you seem to be inferring.
No, I said "IF he is the abject failure".

I think we agree that he has the rest of the year to make his case that the Redskins do not need to draft another QB.

To your other point, I already pointed out that a guy can be very good at the collegiate level, and not, necessarily, be a great pro.

I selected Herbert . Why ? Kid has the size , arm , accuracy , can run , you name it. Is he a finished product ? No. But he's young , has tremendous upside and with the right coaching can be a solid Qb in the NFL. I actually think many of the Qb's in this years draft can do well if put in the right situation. I just see a clearer easier path with Herbert.

I selected Herbert . Why ? Kid has the size , arm , accuracy , can run , you name it. Is he a finished product ? No. But he's young , has tremendous upside and with the right coaching can be a solid Qb in the NFL. I actually think many of the Qb's in this years draft can do well if put in the right situation. I just see a clearer easier path with Herbert.

I'm with you brother... I'm highest on Herbert and Eason... partially because neither would be expected to start right away... which in my mind, is almost always a mistake.

So was Rosen but Haskins has looked terrible in preseason, in regular season games, and likely its a move that will secure their tank because Mccoy and Keenum are much better QB's then haskins by a long shot.

If haskins turns it around and wins some games that is great for us, but judging what ive seen from his throws he is another Geno Smith innaccurate and bad at reading fields.
Haskin completed 70% of his passes at Ohio State. You comparing him to geno a pure running an says you no nothing about either. Stop listening to Steve a smith...well at least he finally admitted he was FOS with that same argument

Haskin completed 70% of his passes at Ohio State. You comparing him to geno a pure running an says you no nothing about either. Stop listening to Steve a smith...well at least he finally admitted he was FOS with that same argument

HUH?

Last edited:
Winner winner, chicken dinner.

A lot of fans, on both sides of the arguement, dismiss this simple fact.

A good choaching staff, with a good QB, will win a lot more games than an all world QB, with horrible coaches.

ehh i don't really believe this is the case, A great QB makes all the players around him better.. The colts wen't from Superbowl contenders to a 2-14 team when peyton manning went down in his last game for them. Tom Brady wins with a team full of scrubs every year too.

Besides with the amount of money and draft picks we are gonna throw behind whomever we draft next season, I'd say talent deficiency shouldn't be an issue.

ehh i don't really believe this is the case, A great QB makes all the players around him better.. The colts wen't from Superbowl contenders to a 2-14 team when peyton manning went down in his last game for them. Tom Brady wins with a team full of scrubs every year too.

Besides with the amount of money and draft picks we are gonna throw behind whomever we draft next season, I'd say talent deficiency shouldn't be an issue.
I agree about a great QB lifting everyone around him, but only to a limited extent.

The two examples you give, though factual, are superficial.

Manning's injury came as their "window" was closing. Guys like Harrison, and Freeney were on the downturn, and the cap situation needed to be reset. Had Peyton not had the Neck issues, could they have stayed competitive for another year? Probably, but they were destined to be dismantled the following year anyway. It also didn't help that Dungy called it a career.

As far as Brady? I don't kniw about "scrubs", but he is, cerebrally, one of tge best of all time. BB is one of the, if not the best coach of all time, when it comes to game planning, in game adjustments, and finding players that execute. They aren't scrubs per se, he just values things besides 40 times, and sheer athletic ability.

Back
Top Bottom