Your first Dolphins game in person? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your first Dolphins game in person?

This year in Tampa. I got to see Brady crush my Dolphins again, this time in person.
To make it worse, Briskett was still starting at the time.
Still an awesome experience, wouldn't trade the good times and memories for anything.
I even got Marino to wave at me for drunkenly yelling "DAN DAN DAN!" from the front row railing before the game.

1970 Orange Bowl, got shut out by the Browns and Griese looked meh
Numbing game. That was the first regular season game I attended with Shula at coach. Early that season the Dolphins were mostly on the road other than a home Saturday night game against the Raiders. My parents went out that night so I stayed at my grandparents house and listened the the broadcast on WIOD. We were so excited at the new era. The Dolphins won, 20-13. Paul Warfield did a famous graceful pirouette move in that game after catching a pass over the middle.

Fast forward a few weeks. Home vs. Cleveland. We sat high upper neck in the west end zone toward the north side. Crowd was energized and confident early. Then we got physically manhandled all day long. That game looked exactly like many of us feared the AFL vs NFL matchups would play out. As you mentioned, Griese was totally ineffective, always ducking for cover and with nowhere to throw or scramble.

The Browns were the first NFL team we faced. Then the same thing happened again the following week. It was an identical shut out massacre at the Colts. Then we lost at home to the lowly Eagles. The media was saying the Dolphins are 4-1 vs. the AFL but 0-3 vs. the NFL.

These days that would have been the dominant mocking theme on social media.

Of course, then it all turned around and we won 6 straight to finish the regular season. By far the highlight of the year was the convincing 34-17 home rout of the Colts, who were easily our biggest rival even the Shula situation. The white hankies dominated the Orange Bowl for years beginning with that Colts game, especially after Jake Scott's long punt return touchdown. That play early in the game was the first time I experienced the full deafening noise of the Orange Bowl.

1997 MNF game vs the Chicago bears. The Marlins has just won the world series the night before and you could still see the markings on the field from that game.

They lost in overtime and i think that was the only time i ever got to see Marino play.

Funny this thread popped up. I was just going through some old stuff and found the ticket stubs from this game. November 20, 1994. Phins at Steelers at Three Rivers. Miami lost 16 - 13 in OT. I went with my then girlfriend, now wife.20E7A26A-13F1-4355-9821-212BF0FFFD85.jpeg

My first game was in Foxboro in 1990. Believe it or not there was a time when the Patriots never sold out. So we were scheduled at NE for the season opener and I didn’t think I was going to see it because of the game wasn’t sold out it wouldn’t be televised. My dad kept ensuring me, you’ll see the game but I never put 2 and 2 together. I found out Sunday morning we were going. The Pats jumped out to a big lead and we battled back and won. Sammie Smith went off, maybe his best game.

Jan 6, 1985 Pitt Vs Miami AFC Championship game
MIami 45 Steelers 28 Marino 421 4 TD
Not a bad introduction to live Dolphin Football. such a shame they ran into an all-time 49ers team in the SP.
That day though was magic. Scalped tickets, we were on the 35 yard line or so. want to say the tix were like $35 buck, lol.

Living in CT, went to most of Marino's games up here in NE. Stopped going to Foxboro games when they opened the new place
and tix got crazy - to get and the price.

Been to guess 18-20 games down in Miami. only seen them lose twice - both to Indy. 1st, young Griese tossed an INT as they
were driving for the win, and then this past season.

Loving the posts gents! I also forgot to add to my opening post that my Dad got into it with a Falcons fan for telling me to shut up when we scored. Glad my dad didn't get arrested but could have gotten to that point lol.

Pal, first off we are at home and you are the only Falcons fan sitting in this section. And second, someone your age shouldn't be wearing pants that tight anyway lol.

Just curious how everyone's first experience was with seeing our favorite team in person for the first time. I'll go first:

December 3rd, 1995 at home to the Falcons:

We had a good breakfast, and got to the game early, extremely early as I was so excited lol. There was 9 year old me wearing my McDuffie jersey grinning and jumping up and down like I had just met Santa Claus. My dad was grinning to and we probably took over 30 pictures before the game even started lol. Jumping ahead a bit, the cheering by fellow fans and being inside Joe Robbie for the first time was so great for me I cried. Now that might seem like an overreaction to some, but when I say I loved the Dolphins, I mean I LOVED the the team. I lived and breathed everything they did and still do though I do try not to get upset as I used to.

We ended up winning a nail biter 21-20. Dan and my hero McDuffie both had solid games and I was just so dang happy(Though did have a stomach ache due to eating wayyy too many hot dogs lol).
Fun thread, thanks.
I was at that game, we asked at the desk of the hotel if they knew anyone with good tix. ended up, yup. Got 50 yard line around 10-12 rows up for face. Best seats
I've every had for football. amazing seats. also treated to another great late game comeback by Marino. Shula's last year, last time seeing him coach.

never been, never been south of Philadelphia, went to Phillies Mets game there in 85 or 86, the day after i went to a Redsox game at Fenway. Don't think i've been in the states in maybe 15 years. been to lots of Argonauts games in Toronto over the years, remember going once with a girl and she wanted to leave with 2 minutes left, we were down a dozen or so, to miss traffic. they scored 2 tds in the last 2 minutes and won. i married someone else. somethings work out right. most games i've been to have been on my couch

First game was 1975, Bills Dolphins in the Orange Bowl. I will always remember how cool it was to be at an actual game of the team I watched every week. At that time we only had a black and white tv so to see all the colors was something.

It was also Strock’s first start as Griese was hurt. I kind of remember a picture of Strock on the front of a newspaper reading “Now Strock”, I hope I’m not confusing that, somehow that paper has been lost over the years. Anyway, we won 31-21, my only trip to the OB that I remember feeling it move because of the crowd lol.

'95 home opener against the Jets. We won 52-14. I was a 13 year old going to my first football game with my Dad and uncle.

Best darn day a young Fins fan could ask for.

My first game was Marino's rookie year but he was rested in the season finale. TBH, I didn't know who Marino was, yet, and being at that game is what initially fueled my Dolphins love. I was 12 and I just didnt follow sports on tv much. After that, I did.

Back
Top Bottom