Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 14 Edition | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 14 Edition

I loved that we started the run to start but then he went right back to what he does not too well, call games. We needed the run in those critical short yardage situations and seemed to forget they were working
I think what really makes McD leery about running the ball in situations where the line is stacked is the poor play by our TE’s. They can not handle that responsibility.

I could see the Fins staying status quo at o-line next year via FA and throwing Dalton Shultz everything they have.

McD just needs to have faith in what is working. I think he’ll soon realize that he already outsmarts opposing DCs with his natural play calling and doesn’t need to prove he the smartest coach on the field all the time. What people don’t talk about either is what if Mostert breaks one of those runs where the Bills have the line stacked? It’s a house call.

2nd week in a row I disagree with your DL grade. No pass rush? Did you even watch the game? I honestly don't see how anyone could say that.

Xavien Howard is a bit overrated IMO
He’s definitely hurt. There was a play yesterday where he was chasing Diggs across the middle and you could see that his gate was all messed up. He was short striding something fierce. That’s 💯 a key to a groin issue.

Hill is the biggest reason. By far. McDaniel's play calling in critical situations is horrible. Last nite it cost Miami the game.

If this team finishes 8-9 with Hill then McDaniel and this year will have been a failure.
Being a rookie coach is tough but if this is an indication of his thinking during games then he isnt the guy.
Oh please that is such a god awful take, hill obviously helps but this scheme is night and day compared to what we've had previously. We have had WRs running open the entire year, the offensive line looks much better, Tua is playing like one of the best QBs in the NFL and the offense has been one of the best in the NFL this season.

Pretty sure McDaniel gets another head coaching gig within 5 minutes if miami were dumb enough to fire him. I don't understand how people want this guy gone after what we have witnessed the last 25 years. It's been a tough stretch but I'm confident we can beat both the jets and patriots which gets us in the playoffs. The offense has proven they can put up points with anyone which makes them a legit superbowl contender if they can get in. People are giving up on this team after they went toe to toe with buffalo in buffalo lol.

I respectfully disagree. We gave up 446 yards tonight. They definitely didn’t earn them all. 3rd and 17 and we give up 21? Those were earned? That last 8 seconds of the half? Josh Allen had the ball for over 9 seconds. Not to mention, they played the entire 2nd half without their starting Center.

If we just win 1 of the last 3 I would feel better….But we’ve lost 3 in a row at the end of the season when you’re supposed to be playing your best ball.

We played well enough to win….But what I saw was a coach that blew the play calling in the red zone and on 3rd down. If you have a back gaining 8 yards a carry….How do you only run him 6 times in the 2nd half??

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
That third and 17 conversion was frustrating. The defensive line is playing well, but Miami can't cover. Definitely a lot to be frustrated with in this game. Mostly on the defensive side. The PI at the end was lack of awareness as to where the ball was. That gave Buffalo the yards needed to put the game away. If the corner actually turns his head on that play, maybe it could have been intercepted or at least an incompletion with no flag.

I also believe Miami should have ran more. The team had 100 yards rushing in the first quarter. Granted, 67 of that was the terrific run by Mostert.

Stick with the run and I think the Dolphins could have put up 250 or more rushing and probably won this game.

I think we'd all agree that Buffalo is the better team and Miami played with them and could have won. I get the frustration, but don't see that as an F in coaching.

Now, I do hope McDaniel learns from this season. I think too many current, or new generation coaches, stick with the analytics sometimes to their detriment.

For example, even when Buffalo had eight on the box, the Dolphins were having success running the ball.

Dropped passes, especially the two in the endzone, killed the offense. The abandoned running game in the 4th quarter hurt Miami, big time. And once again, the defense can't seem to get off the field on 3rd down. This has to stop.

Thanks Zimm.

Special Teams were solid last night.
Overall Grade: A-
  • Sanders made all field goals and extra points.
  • Morstead punted a few excellent bombs as well as drawing the Roughing the Kicker penalty.
  • There weren't any huge run backs for either side.

Thanks Zimm.

Special Teams were solid last night.
Overall Grade: A-
  • Sanders made all field goals and extra points.
  • Morstead punted a few excellent bombs as well as drawing the Roughing the Kicker penalty.
  • There weren't any huge run backs for either side.
When #11 fair catches every single time in every single game, what’s the point?

We were facing an uphill battle coming into this game. 3rd week in a row on the road (What the **** is that by the way???), the weather, Tua’s cold streak etc…. However, we could have and should have won this game. This loss is, without a doubt, on the coaches. On to the grades:

QB — The Good: 17 of 30 for 234 and 2 TD’s isn’t a bad game at all. Should have been much better but our WR corp had a few drops.

The Bad: While not a bad game, Tua wasn’t great either. A few questionable throws in there that could have gone for picks.

The Grade: C +. The drops didn’t help but neither did the play calling. Overall a good effort by Tua….But I was hoping for great.

RB’s — The Good: Wow. Mostert came to play. Great game by him. 17 rushes for 136. That’s an 8.0 ypc. Very well done. Ahmed had 43 more and our backs totaled 181 yards with Ingold’s 2 yard input.

The Bad: With a performance like that, there wasn’t much bad with these guys.

The Grade: A . Almost put up 200 on Buffalo. This group deserves the A. Spoiler Alert: It’ll be the only A given out today.

TE’s — The Good: The TE’s held up well in the running game. That’s all.

The Bad: Gesicki with 1 catch for 5 yards. And he stopped running after he caught it. Smythe with 1 catch for minus 2 yards. Awful.

The Grade: D . The only reason this group gets the D is because of the running game. They are being woefully underutilized and this coaching staff deserves the F for that alone. Meanwhile Buffalo’s TE had a career game tonight.

WR’s — The Good: Waddle was very good tonight as was Hill. 9 catches for Hill for 69 and a TD. Waddle with 3 for 114 and a TD.

The Bad: Wilson was the only other receiver with a catch. Ridiculous. Also too many drops in the first half that were costly.

The Grade: C -. Again….Hill and Waddle make this a C -. No one else did anything.

OL — The Good: Opening enough holes to hang almost 200 rushing on Buffalo is a good game. Tua, in general, had time to throw. A good effort by these guys.

The Bad: A few blown assignments when it counted hurt us. However, not a bad game by this unit.

The Grade: B - . How often do I ever say we should run more in a Dolphins game? Rarely. But McDaniel should have trusted them and we would have won this game. Awful coaching. Period.

DL — The Good: Wilkins with a Fumble recovery. Seller with a sack. Not much else.

The Bad: No pass rush to speak of. We have up 153 on the ground. And of course, we folded when we need a stop in the last 3 minutes.

The Grade: F . They played well for the 3rd quarter. That’s it. I’m sorry….That doesn’t cut it for me.

LB’s — The Good: Great Strip Sack by Phillips. That’s all.

The Bad: Anybody seen Jerome Baker? Actually….Anyone seen any of our MLB’s? I haven’t. Where is the pash rush from this group? Awful first half. Decent 3rd Qtr. Awful 4th qtr.

The Grade: F. I’m sorry….But they did not play well at all.

DB’s — The Good: N/A

The Bad: Open receivers everywhere tonight. If Noah Iggy isn’t cut on January 9th, I’m going to be pissed. He is awful. X wasn’t much better tonight. Admittedly, there was no lash rush to help them out. But they let way too many receivers get way too open.

The Grade: F . Folded like a Walmart Lawn chair when we needed them. Awful.

Coaching — The Good: Offensively we rang up 29 on the Bills. Defensively, we shut out the Bills the entire 3rd qtr. That’s it.

The Bad: Where do I start? McDaniel refusing to run the ball on 3rd and short? Or refusing to run the ball 4 time on first and goal from the 4 and settling for a FG? How about not ever running a rub route or anything of the sort on 3rd and short? Terrible. Wait! Then there’s Boyer….He has absolutely Zero feel for the game. Rushing 4 on 3rd and 17 and letting the Bills convert? How about the last 8 seconds of the first half? How do you give any NFL QB 9 seconds to throw the ball? Honestly, does Boyer know what a delayed blitz is? Awful.

The Grade: F. Again.

Conclusion: We have 3 games left and in my mind we have to win all 3 of them. The division is Buffalo’s. That’s all but official. 10 wins might get us in, but we have to rely on help for that. The problem is, Our defense has fallen apart. Our play calling is suspect. The coaching, quite frankly, is not peaking when we need it to. Nor is this team. It’s an up hill battle from here on out. I would say we’re going to find out what we’re made of in the next 3 weeks, but I think we just found out in the last 3. To be honest, I don’t like what we found.
No Moral Victories!

Last time I checked, the object was to win the game, not to lose by as few points as possible!

-How about Hill and Sherfield catch the TD pass early in the game, then we are up by 4 at the end and Buffalo has to score a TD, which changes everything

-When you are on the road, against a better team, you have to make plays to win. Right when they dropped those balls and we left with a FG I knew the game was over

-Don’t get me started on the 2-point conversion attempt by us either. Stupid. But it didn’t end up mattering. Just one more way we tried to give away the game

-Then at the end, when you are actually winning the game, how about not letting them go on a 15 play, 86 yard drive that consumes 6 minutes of clock, not even leaving our offense time so they had a chance to choke at the end and go 4 and out with a sack, an illegal motion, and a an offensive hold

-Not to mention we were winning by 8 points in the 4th quarter and then proceeded to not score and let them score for the balance of the game

-Don’t want to say I told you so but how about not trading away a first round pick and a bunch of payroll for Bradley Chubb, who totally sucks. Only time I heard his name called was when he chased Josh Allen for 8-12 seconds but didn’t tackle him

-And how about not getting carried away and going all in on this year after we beat a bunch of garbage teams and somehow thought we were something that we clearly are not, not even close

-How about not losing to San Diego and San Fran in winnable situations? Buffalo was a game I expected them to lose. But the Chargers? Hello McDaniel, guess what you can actually run the ball. How about having done that against San Diego? Same thing goes for the 49ers and the backup QB we were playing against. And Tua totally no showed that game, and frankly was not that much better against the Chargers. One thing or the other for this team

-How about not whining about the snowball thing. Yeah the refs should have done something, but it didn’t make Sherfield and Hill drop TD passes. We sound like babies

-How about leaving Josh Boyer in Buffalo, in a snow drift?

The Minnesota Vikings are not very good, but they find ways to win games. I don’t know what the Dolphins are, but we find ways to lose games. Frankly same thing happened against said Vikings. We outplayed them the whole game. Only game all year our defense was good. But then the whole team imploded at the end, and made a ton of stupid mistakes along the way that left Minny in the game to begin with. Because we just find ways to lose.

No Moral Victories!

Last time I checked, the object was to win the game, not to lose by as few points as possible!

-How about Hill and Sherfield catch the TD pass early in the game, then we are up by 4 at the end and Buffalo has to score a TD, which changes everything

-When you are on the road, against a better team, you have to make plays to win. Right when they dropped those balls and we left with a FG I knew the game was over

-Don’t get me started on the 2-point conversion attempt by us either. Stupid. But it didn’t end up mattering. Just one more way we tried to give away the game

-Then at the end, when you are actually winning the game, how about not letting them go on a 15 play, 86 yard drive that consumes 6 minutes of clock, not even leaving our offense time so they had a chance to choke at the end and go 4 and out with a sack, an illegal motion, and a an offensive hold

-Not to mention we were winning by 8 points in the 4th quarter and then proceeded to not score and let them score for the balance of the game

-Don’t want to say I told you so but how about not trading away a first round pick and a bunch of payroll for Bradley Chubb, who totally sucks. Only time I heard his name called was when he chased Josh Allen for 8-12 seconds but didn’t tackle him

-And how about not getting carried away and going all in on this year after we beat a bunch of garbage teams and somehow thought we were something that we clearly are not, not even close

-How about not losing to San Diego and San Fran in winnable situations? Buffalo was a game I expected them to lose. But the Chargers? Hello McDaniel, guess what you can actually run the ball. How about having done that against San Diego? Same thing goes for the 49ers and the backup QB we were playing against. And Tua totally no showed that game, and frankly was not that much better against the Chargers. One thing or the other for this team

-How about not whining about the snowball thing. Yeah the refs should have done something, but it didn’t make Sherfield and Hill drop TD passes. We sound like babies

-How about leaving Josh Boyer in Buffalo, in a snow drift?

The Minnesota Vikings are not very good, but they find ways to win games. I don’t know what the Dolphins are, but we find ways to lose games. Frankly same thing happened against said Vikings. We outplayed them the whole game. Only game all year our defense was good. But then the whole team imploded at the end, and made a ton of stupid mistakes along the way that left Minny in the game to begin with. Because we just find ways to lose.
And I forgot, the stoopid passing plays on third and short, especially when we were running it well and it certain cases where you know they would go for it on 4th, run on 3rd to give yourself two chances at it as opposed to going backwards with a sack fumble or a pass that loses yards. When will McDaniel learn this is the NFL and not a game of Madden? We try to lose. You cannot do that in the NFL.

2nd week in a row I disagree with your DL grade. No pass rush? Did you even watch the game? I honestly don't see how anyone could say that.
Don’t confuse the D-Linemen pass rush with our LB’s (Phillips, Chubb).

Don’t confuse the D-Linemen pass rush with our LB’s (Phillips, Chubb).

Fair point, but it all works together. Wilkins, Sieler, and even Jenkins had more splash last week vs Chargers and I didn't agree with your DL grade for that game. Not as many splash plays but visually Wilkins and Sieler were still very active and impacting plays.

I have been critical of Mc Genius the last two weeks and was criticized by some. I hate to say this but....I am glad to see more taking off the rose-colored glasses and seeing what I've been seeing.

I think what really makes McD leery about running the ball in situations where the line is stacked is the poor play by our TE’s. They can not handle that responsibility.

I could see the Fins staying status quo at o-line next year via FA and throwing Dalton Shultz everything they have.

McD just needs to have faith in what is working. I think he’ll soon realize that he already outsmarts opposing DCs with his natural play calling and doesn’t need to prove he the smartest coach on the field all the time. What people don’t talk about either is what if Mostert breaks one of those runs where the Bills have the line stacked? It’s a house call.

Disagree some. BUFF edge were crashing in on run plays. A TE or RB just getting a chip would help. Doesn't require top blocking skills.

Back
Top Bottom