Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2

I’m keeping it simple and just going with the first rule of management, “everything is your fault”. I’m giving Grier credit for the good picks and criticism for the bad ones and blaming him for the oline issues. I’m not playing this guy was his pick and that guy was the other guys pick and so on. Too much speculation and it can be framed to favor the guy we like better.

Drafting Iggy was the Ted Ginn moment all over again - except that Teddy Ginn was pretty good!

Drafting Iggy was the Ted Ginn moment all over again - except that Teddy Ginn was pretty good!
Ginn had a much better career than the player most of us wanted with that pick. Most Dolphin fans, including me wanted Brady Quinn with that pick and in the end, Quinn just wasn’t a good QB in the NFL.

There were better players than Ginn who were drafted after Ginn but Quinn certainly wasn’t one of those players.

Last edited:
Tua needs to play the full game to earn back the starting job. Let's see if he can rack up points, sling it downfield, and impart confidence that he is the best QB on the roster. Right now he is not.

AJ again had a catastrophic failure, on the first set of the game. On the Oline there are Coleman, C Williams, Eich and AJ that without an exception will give you frequent catastrophic plays. None of them should start unless they must. My starting lineup would include none of those players.
You win - that Tua needs to earn back the starting job might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here - congrats man!

They drafted Jackson in the first round. While Jackson has certainly struggled in his first two years. He was still the highest rated tackle on the board when they had their second pick in the first round and Jackson was predicted to be a mid 1st round pick before the draft.

I still believe Jackson can be a good tackle in the NFL but he certainly needs to play a lot better this season than he did last year.

Iggy was obviously a mistake but they drafted 3 starters with their next 3 picks after Iggy. I believe Hunt, Davis, and Jones are all solid starters in the NFL.

I am happy with the selection of Tua in that draft. So overall I view the 2020 draft as being a very effective draft for the Dolphins, even if Iggy doesn’t work out.
You named some decent players, but to think that tanking a season and sabotaging your line led to what an average team would get in an average draft, that's just not good enough. And it hasn't been good enough on the field.

Last edited:
This was covered in a study a while back...he doesn't miss more than other GMs. I was very down on Grier as well, and that study gave me some perspective. There are very few exceptions that have a better rate, like Newsome, but they're very rare. A caveman can't do it...it's not easy...everybody misses.
Good GEICO reference:)

You named dome decent players, but to think that tanking a season and sabotaging your line led to what an average team would get in an average draft, that's just not good enough. And it hasn't been good enough on the field.
Agree 100%. That’s my beef w that draft. 13 picks, 3 in round 1. Not a single star player out of it - at least not yet.

You named some decent players, but to think that tanking a season and sabotaging your line led to what an average team would get in an average draft, that's just not good enough. And it hasn't been good enough on the field.
I don’t believe Tua is going to end up being just an average QB and I am still happy with his pick at five. As I pointed out earlier, Jackson was the highest rated tackle on the board when Miami made their second pick in the first round.

The Dolphins biggest need after the QB position in the 2020 draft was at the tackle position and they drafted what was considered at the time a solid tackle who was still young and would need time to develop.

Jackson actually played pretty good for a rookie before he was injured. His play regressed greatly upon his return from the injury and last year he just looked lost much of the time.

I believe with better coaching and the move to RT, Jackson still has the skillset to become a productive player for the Dolphins.

Iggy was the only bad pick in the first six picks the Dolphins made in the 2020 draft and he is the only one of those six players that isn’t a starter for the Dolphins at this time.

I think overall, the 2020 draft was a very good draft for the Dolphins. Considering they were an organization that went into the 2019 season completely rebuilding the team and they have had two winning seasons the past two years,

I’m really not sure what you realistically expected from a team that is just going into the 4th season of a complete rebuilding of the team. Personally I think they have done an overall very good job of rebuilding the roster and this years roster looks like it could be the best team they have put on the field in over two decades.

I don’t believe Tua is going to end up being just an average QB and I am still happy with his pick at five. As I pointed out earlier, Jackson was the highest rated tackle on the board when Miami made their second pick in the first round.
It is nothing against Tua because I'm a big believer in his actual talent, but I can definitely imagine him not reaching his potential because of stunted potential due to having insufficient line play to run honest pass plays on the regular. A good example of what stunted development is that much talked about throw that hit Gesicki in the numbers when he wasn't looking. That throw happened because the line wasn't reassuring and Tua has learned through two years of historically bad line play that on third and long if he doesn't cut it loose quickly he's gonna get blasted and possibly get hurt, possibly fumble. Tua has enough downfield accuracy that he could be an effective deep ball thrower, but I worry that he'll basically be in survival mode, even when its not necessary, and settling for short too much based on what he has had to do through two seasons. I worry he'll turn into the guy backing him up - a guy who shows in preseason he can make high level throws downfield, yet when the regular games come on he's the biggest dink and dunker of them all.
If Tua's poor supporting cast and coaching his first few years caused him to develop bad habits and fail to realize his potential, I don't blame him for that. I blame an organizational philosophy that thought it was a great idea to try to develop a franchise QB when they had 0 viable offensive linemen, and even went into a second season without providing any substantial reinforcement along the line.

As others have said, it is time to cut bait with Iggy. Personally I’d like to trade Iggy and Gesicki.

No question it was a reach regardless of whether Flores pushed for the pick. Most "rankings" had him more in the late 2nd, early 3rd range.

He still is only 22, but Miami may have to just release him. They won't get anything in a trade unless he's included on a package with other players.

Maybe next week is his make or break? Any good news put of camp on Iggy?
What would this team look like now if Grier had taken Justin Herbert, Justin Jefferson, and Jonathan Taylor in 2020 instead of Tua, Jackson, and Iggy?

What would this team look like now if Grier had taken Justin Herbert, Justin Jefferson, and Jonathan Taylor in 2020 instead of Tua, Jackson, and Iggy?
I have no faith that our offensive staff would have succeeded with Herbert.

They would have hobbled him because of the line and because the coaches were risk averse on offense.

A lot better. Herbert, Jefferson and Taylor are arguably top five at their respective positions. I have said it before, but coming off that hip injury, I would have drafted Herbert over Tua. Not before the injury, however.

I do think Tua can now see his potential realized. But he has to stay on the field.

Jackson has apparently taken steps this offseason, which is good news. Unfortunately, Iggy still looks lost in coverage sometimes. He just doesn't play the ball well, which is odd since he started out as a wide receiver.

Back
Top Bottom