Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2

How is my information wrong? Please answer this question: Who was GM when the pick was made? Spoiler Alert: it was Grier.

By your logic, If it’s a bad pick someone else made it, If it’s a great pick Grier made it??? That doesn’t make sense.

Grier is and was the GM. All personnel decisions are made by him.

Since your friends are in the know…Who demanded the Austin Jackson pick?? How about the Curtis Weaver pick?

If the GM gets credit for the good picks, he gets the blame for the bad ones.
That's certainly the "buck stops here" look...but Flo, no doubt, had a LOT to do with that pick. He was the "DB expert," and had to have convinced Grier that Igbo had the goods and he could mold him (forgetting the debacle with the star rookie safety we let Pittsburgh have). They both share the blame IMO.

The thing is with Grier it's not the occasional miss. It's the norm.
This was covered in a study a while back...he doesn't miss more than other GMs. I was very down on Grier as well, and that study gave me some perspective. There are very few exceptions that have a better rate, like Newsome, but they're very rare. A caveman can't do it...it's not easy...everybody misses.

While the Dolphins’ starters turned in an uninspiring performance, the bickering on this fan site is in mid season form!

Every person in this thread that craps on the Iggy pick because Flores pushed it better likewise give him all the credit when Holland earns All Pro this season.
A lot, including myself, credit Flores with the Holland pick. I believe he also scouted Philips at his pro day so I credit him with that too.

He also pushed the Long pick so we will see how that works out.

Name one OL that the Miami Dolphins have drafted outside of round 1 in TWO GENERATIONS that has been any good.

No one even average. Not one dude!

Blame whoever you want for that… just sayin.

Yea lol. I get it. I’m just saying, and this is my honest opinion, putting something 10 years ago on Grier is dumb.

Yea lol. I get it. I’m just saying, and this is my honest opinion, putting something 10 years ago on Grier is dumb.

To be fair, Atila admits Miami has drafted OL poorly, so, obviously, Grier doesn't get much blame. Not accusing Atila of anything, but, in general, when Grier was in scouting, the failure was TBaum. Now he's GM and, not only is every fail HIS fault, but, magically, even the picks when he was in scouting. Fails are HIS fault when he's GM and his fault when he was in scouting, when everyone 'knows' ;) it's not a scouting problem now.

Nice points Zimmer, but please note: Even Jesus missed on 1 pick when he drafted Judas to be on his squad. We cant blame Grier too much for an occasional miss. :UP: Phins Up!
The funny part is….I’ve come around on Grier. I’m actually good with his job performance lately. If you read the first 2 lines, I gave him props in the first line and then just gave him a little **** for the Iggy pick.

This was covered in a study a while back...he doesn't miss more than other GMs. I was very down on Grier as well, and that study gave me some perspective. There are very few exceptions that have a better rate, like Newsome, but they're very rare. A caveman can't do it...it's not easy...everybody misses.
Do you have a link to that study? I would be interested how they qualify a pick a hit or a miss. Without seeing the study, my best guess is that they're going by if the player is a starter or not. If that's the case, that study is basically worthless. The Dolphins have holes at almost every position every year, it's not rocket science to draft starters for the Dolphins.

We have the 3rd longest playoff drought in the league right after the Jets and Broncos (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_droughts#Post-season_droughts) and we have the 2nd longest playoff victory drought behind the Lions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...season_droughts#Playoff_game_victory_droughts). These are facts and the story these facts are telling is: the GM just isn't good enough. I don't care about GMs of other teams, I know that ours is. not. good. enough.

Do you have a link to that study? I would be interested how they qualify a pick a hit or a miss. Without seeing the study, my best guess is that they're going by if the player is a starter or not. If that's the case, that study is basically worthless. The Dolphins have holes at almost every position every year, it's not rocket science to draft starters for the Dolphins.

We have the 3rd longest playoff drought in the league right after the Jets and Broncos (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_droughts#Post-season_droughts) and we have the 2nd longest playoff victory drought behind the Lions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...season_droughts#Playoff_game_victory_droughts). These are facts and the story these facts are telling is: the GM just isn't good enough. I don't care about GMs of other teams, I know that ours is. not. good. enough.
Yea coaching had nothing to do with that drought.

I'm not saying any of that but the GM hires the coaches as well. If not him, who is it? Ross? OK, fair. What's Grier's responsibilities then? Ross hires the coaches, Grier picks the players the coaches want. What is he doing then?

And if it's the coaches, where are all the superstars drafted by the Dolphins that are having an All Pro career since they left the Dolphins? The player that has left the Dolphins and went to have the most successful career so far is Ryan Tannehill. Ryan. Tannehill. That's the guy that Grier basically gave away for nothing. Yeah, tell me again how great our GM is.

The funny part is….I’ve come around on Grier. I’m actually good with his job performance lately. If you read the first 2 lines, I gave him props in the first line and then just gave him a little **** for the Iggy pick.
I think adding Mckenzie and Allen have solidified scouting to some extent. And, I agree. If you forget the first round 2020 was solid. If Tua progresses it will be good. If they can salvage Jackson, it will be above average. The last two years look pretty good to me.

I'm not pointing this at you, but NFL fans have a tendency to think every other team hits on every draft pick. I read a stat that only 30% of first round picks get a second contract with the team that drafted them. That means 70% are either busts, or the team doesn't value them as much as the market does. And that is just the first round. It's got to be an exponential curve as you go later in the draft.

The only guy that I feel like consistently drafted well in recent memory was Ozzie Newsome. But, I'm not a fan of the Ravens, so I bet I'm skewed by their physically tough game day persona.

Sorry no I don’t have a handy link. It was on these forums IIRC.

I'm not saying any of that but the GM hires the coaches as well. If not him, who is it? Ross? OK, fair. What's Grier's responsibilities then? Ross hires the coaches, Grier picks the players the coaches want. What is he doing then?

And if it's the coaches, where are all the superstars drafted by the Dolphins that are having an All Pro career since they left the Dolphins? The player that has left the Dolphins and went to have the most successful career so far is Ryan Tannehill. Ryan. Tannehill. That's the guy that Grier basically gave away for nothing. Yeah, tell me again how great our GM is.

Keep in mind teams like Miami (there are quite a few) wallow in the NFL cellar for decades while running through HCs, OCs, DCs, QBs. One of my pet peeves is there is LUCK involved in drafting players and hiring coaches and people who dent it. Some don't like to admit it, but the evidence is glaring. All those poor teams don't sit around intentionally hiring poor HCs and/or drafting QBs high in R1 that flame out. Luck.

Most here were happy with the Flores pick and with the Mcd pick. Now fans know the Flores pick imploded. I can't blame Grier for that. Yes, there were other candidates, but failing to get them doesn't mean there was no effort. And, no, Grier can't pick a HC over the objections of Ross.

I'm surprised the number of people who actually believe Grier and every other GM locks himself in a closet, watches comparably little film, and sets the draft board without input from the scouts/coaches. That's why every new HC and scout doesn't actually focus on team needs. They have no input and are consistently overruled by the GM. <sarcasm>
GM: I've decided we're taking Jonathan Martin.
HC/scouts: But we REALLY like that Joe Montana kid.
GM: beat salt.
Next season's draft:
Owner: We need to do better in the draft.
HC/scouts: Yes sir, but we all wanted Joe Montana. want to guess who picked Martin?

That 2020 draft is always going to be insanely sour taste for many people because of how we sabotaged the 2019 season and ripped the roster to shreds, and in the end it was filled with underwhelming, overdrafted players, and I couldn't even be excited about any QB they drafted because I knew they had stripped the foundation so much that all we were doing was repeating the Tannehill experience by drafting a QB and not having the line to ever develop or evaluate a young QB.
They drafted Jackson in the first round. While Jackson has certainly struggled in his first two years. He was still the highest rated tackle on the board when they had their second pick in the first round and Jackson was predicted to be a mid 1st round pick before the draft.

I still believe Jackson can be a good tackle in the NFL but he certainly needs to play a lot better this season than he did last year.

Iggy was obviously a mistake but they drafted 3 starters with their next 3 picks after Iggy. I believe Hunt, Davis, and Jones are all solid starters in the NFL.

I am happy with the selection of Tua in that draft. So overall I view the 2020 draft as being a very effective draft for the Dolphins, even if Iggy doesn’t work out.

Back
Top Bottom