Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2

LOL

You can talk down and try to demean these other users but not here fam. Tread lightly. Not sure why you feel your opinion trumps anyone elses but it doesnt.

Your avi matches your presence on this board.
Not others, just your opinion.

While the Dolphins’ starters turned in an uninspiring performance, the bickering on this fan site is in mid season form!

Every person in this thread that craps on the Iggy pick because Flores pushed it better likewise give him all the credit when Holland earns All Pro this season.

I do agree that the starting offense should play the entire first half against the Eagles. They don’t seem ready to me just yet.
We haven’t seen them yet, hard to tell if they’re ready. No Hill, Waddle, Armstead, barely any Williams, no Ingold, no Mostert. We won’t have a look until September 11th.

BTW the coaches had a good look in the joint practices with Tampa and will have another in the joint practices with Philly. I expect much more 1’s vs 1’s in the practices than I do in the preseason game. We need to realize we don’t matter. We don’t need to see crap, the coaches do and will.

While the Dolphins’ starters turned in an uninspiring performance, the bickering on this fan site is in mid season form!

Every person in this thread that craps on the Iggy pick because Flores pushed it better likewise give him all the credit when Holland earns All Pro this season.

I don't think you understand how this works.. the guy that is no longer here gets ALL the blame and NO credit

I am not going to sit here and argue about how good of a scouting director Grier was. You don't know, I don't know. The fact that he has survived GM after GM tells me people think he was doing a pretty good job. GM has the final say usually. But either way we don't know. After the snake oil salesman was ousted I think its the most fair to judge him. but I'd understand if you want to judge him harshly even with Tannebum over him as he was technically the GM.

To say he's not great at picking offensive lineman after round 1 is fair based on his drafts since he was the GM. He's taken 6 lineman after round 1 as the GM. I think its obvious he did well with Hunt. Outside of him theres Eichenberg. Who I am not a fan of, but theres still a glimmer of hope.

According to NFL.com GM power rankings they have Bills GM and Rams GM listed 1 & 2. Since the Bills GM took over in 2017 hes taken 7 OL after round 1. Zero are in the Bills starting lineup. During that same time the Rams took 8 OL after round 1. They currently have 2 in the starting lineup.

Id venture to say you're grading Grier too harshly on offensive lineman outside of round 1. I wouldn't call him great, but likely pretty average. When you factor in how well hes done recently outside of that, id say hes better than average at drafting. Hes not the best, but definitely good.

Right now I would say that is fair. But as someone else says, that story isn't written enough to say a huge fail. As of today, that was a bad pick. But every year, GMs have huge failures with drafting someone over another player. This isn't a bad GM thing. This is an every GM thing.
Name one OL that the Miami Dolphins have drafted outside of round 1 in TWO GENERATIONS that has been any good.

No one even average. Not one dude!

Blame whoever you want for that… just sayin.

We haven’t seen them yet, hard to tell if they’re ready. No Hill, Waddle, Armstead, barely any Williams, no Ingold, no Mostert. We won’t have a look until September 11th.

BTW the coaches had a good look in the joint practices with Tampa and will have another in the joint practices with Philly. I expect much more 1’s vs 1’s in the practices than I do in the preseason game. We need to realize we don’t matter. We don’t need to see crap, the coaches do and will.
Joint practices don’t have hitting. We need to see some of these guys get knocked around a little.

Name one OL that the Miami Dolphins have drafted outside of round 1 in TWO GENERATIONS that has been any good.

No one even average. Not one dude!

Blame whoever you want for that… just sayin.
The only one I can think of is hunt. And he’s about average

Again, I’m not going to grade each unit until the regular season. I’m just here to give my worthless opinion on the way our team is shaping up this year. And so far, it’s a mixed bag of good, bad and horrible. My thoughts;
  • Easy E has made the team. For Sure. Give the kid the locker and the jersey. He’s good to go. Nice draft pick Mr. Grier. Well Done.
  • Noah Iggy needs to be traded. Not tomorrow, Not after breakfast. Now! Awful draft pick Mr. Grier. You Suck.
  • Tua is fine. I’m not the least bit worried.
  • The Offensive line is not fine. I’m actually very worried. This offense is predicated on the running game. Our running game is currently non-existent. I’m not sure I would run 1 passing play in practice this week. It would be all run plays all week. We need the practice.
  • Speaking of the OL…..I’m going to do something here that I never thought I would do….Give props to Austin Jackson. You know the end of the world is coming when Austin Jackson actually played well. To be honest…..I’m happy he’s found his game at RT.
  • It’s going to be difficult to keep Porter Gustin off this roster.
  • Ditto Skylar Thompson. We’re keeping 3 QB’s.
  • To address the 2, 435 pound elephant in the room: Mike Gesicki. He is a glorified receiver. His blocking is an actual joke. My opinion is that he can contribute big this year in the passing game. But you have to limit him in the running game. Unfortunately for MG, you don’t pay a limited TE 11 Milly a year. That’s just a fact of having a salary cap. I honestly think we should explore a trade and maybe pick up a starting caliber center or guard. Maybe an edge rusher or LB. Whatever.
  • Sanders missing a clutch kick sucks…..But that happens. I’d rather have it happen in a preseason game than in a game that counts.
  • Hopefully, none of the injuries are serious.
  • Tua and the starting offense need some more work. If it was me, the entire starting offense would go for the first half against Philly.
That’s it for now. My overall grade for the team last night was a C-. A lot more bad than good last night in my opinion. The preseason is about style points, and we didn’t get many. See you next week.
Nice points Zimmer, but please note: Even Jesus missed on 1 pick when he drafted Judas to be on his squad. We cant blame Grier too much for an occasional miss. :UP: Phins Up!

Tua needs to play the full game to earn back the starting job. Let's see if he can rack up points, sling it downfield, and impart confidence that he is the best QB on the roster. Right now he is not.

AJ again had a catastrophic failure, on the first set of the game. On the Oline there are Coleman, C Williams, Eich and AJ that without an exception will give you frequent catastrophic plays. None of them should start unless they must. My starting lineup would include none of those players.

I've been worried about the o line. PFF said we gave 0 pressures last night, which I would have to argue with. Even just watching the highlights of last night's game, I seen a few pressures. From the starting unit. Regardless, 4 yards rushing in the first half? Not cool
I liked the time and clean pocket Tua had for his drives. But I didn’t like the run blocking of course

I know, I know - it’s only preseason. However, I’m bothered by the fact we had trouble getting to the end zone given we had so many big pass plays on offense. The bogging down inside opponent’s territory has been a theme w this offense for so long. Also, it’s really hard to ignore how ST pushes the ball down the field much better than the guys ahead of him. Just saying.
Guys weren’t open deep

Nice points Zimmer, but please note: Even Jesus missed on 1 pick when he drafted Judas to be on his squad. We cant blame Grier too much for an occasional miss. :UP: Phins Up!
The thing is with Grier it's not the occasional miss. It's the norm.

Back
Top Bottom