Armando: Ireland job doesn't appear at risk | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Ireland job doesn't appear at risk

yeah....we should of kept Sparano you know, cause of continuity and consistancy and all that stuff. Its year one. The lions should of held on to matt millen even longer cause continuity and consistancy and stuff. Dont know what the niners were think letting Singletary go, i mean dont they know that its all about continuity and consistancy and its year one. Did i mention its year one.

derp......derp

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a neat fact for ya. From 2000 to 2003, Dave Wannstedt the acting General Manager of the Miami Dolphins drafted twice as many Pro Bowlers as Jeff Ireland has drafted from 2008 to 2011, and he did it while utilizing approximately one-third of the draft resources in terms of number of picks and value (according to the charts).

As a matter of fairness and full disclosure, Mike Pouncey appears destined for Pro Bowls and that would bring Jeff Ireland's number of Pro Bowlers drafted to a tie with Dave Wannstedt. With 3x as many draft resources.

Here's a neat fact for ya. From 2000 to 2003, Dave Wannstedt the acting General Manager of the Miami Dolphins drafted twice as many Pro Bowlers as Jeff Ireland has drafted from 2008 to 2011, and he did it while utilizing approximately one-third of the draft resources in terms of number of picks and value (according to the charts).

and it only took the number one pick in the entire draft to get said pro-bowler

Wow, when you have Wanny drafting better than you, then you can understand why the people on this board with half a brain want Ireland gone.Wanny push not one but 2 teams into the ground and yet, he drafted better than Ireland. And yet some people want Ireland back. GET REAL PEOPLE!!

Ozzy rules!!

As a matter of fairness and full disclosure, Mike Pouncey appears destined for Pro Bowls and that would bring Jeff Ireland's number of Pro Bowlers drafted to a tie with Dave Wannstedt. With 3x as many draft resources.

I'm scrambling trying to think of pro bowlers Ireland drafted and it's... Long and....? :lol:

If there's another one it's not coming to mind. Wannstedt would be Chris Chambers, right? And maybe Todd Wade?

I'm scrambling trying to think of pro bowlers Ireland drafted and it's... Long and....? :lol:

If there's another one it's not coming to mind. Wannstedt would be Chris Chambers, right? And maybe Todd Wade?

Dave Wannstedt drafted Chris Chambers and Yeremiah Bell. Both went to the Pro Bowl. Randy McMichael was a 1st alternate. Wannstedt lost his GM title to Rick Spielman in 2004 after amassing a 41-25 record from 2000 to 2003. In his one off season as a General Manager, Rick Spielman drafted Vernon Carey who I believe ended up a Pro Bowl alternate at one point, and he signed UDFA Wes Welker who is...well, he's Wes Welker, multiple Pro Bowler, All Pro, etc. Spielman couldn't help it if Mueller made a bad trade with Welker.

Yeremiah Bell.

Dave Wannstedt drafted Chris Chambers and Yeremiah Bell. Both went to the Pro Bowl. Randy McMichael was a 1st alternate. Wannstedt lost his GM title to Rick Spielman in 2004 after amassing a 41-25 record from 2000 to 2003. In his one off season as a General Manager, Rick Spielman drafted Vernon Carey who I believe ended up a Pro Bowl alternate at one point, and he signed UDFA Wes Welker who is...well, he's Wes Welker, multiple Pro Bowler, All Pro, etc. Spielman couldn't help it if Mueller made a bad trade with Welker.
Carey was voted the 7th best OT in 2008 by PFF, for whatever that is worth, after giving up only four sacks the entire season.

To be fair, Chris Chambers didn't make the Pro Bowl until his 5th year and Bell not until his 7th season. Like you said, Pouncey looks like a Pro Bowler and he is just in his 2nd year, Reshad Jones is also playing at a Pro Bowl caliber and he is in 3rd season. If Tannehill is who we hope he is, he could be a future pro bowler and the rest of the 2012 class is to soon to know for sure.

Bell was an alternate, also. He only made it when Antoine Bethea pulled out with an injury.

May as well keep Ireland. Fact is, franchises who have their poop in a group fire both GM and coach and start fresh. By doing the dance with Harbaugh two years ago, then committing to Philbin last offseason, all the while keeping Ireland, it means he's likely safe. Any new GM would want to bring his own system and therefore coach. Which means another reboot.

I remain shocked that Ireland stayed through the Parcells tragedy. The only way he did was by claiming he had zero final say and all decisions were ultimately made by Bill. Which is likely true.

Ireland therefore has received a pass from 2008-2010. Ireland has now independently run two offseasons. Which means two drafts. I think deep down Ross is committed to Ireland and the plan he has sold him. At least for another year.

Ross wants a dynamic team, a team that excites folks and has big plays. The Parcells philosophy starting with decision 1 to draft Long was contrary to this. Ireland thinks he has the QB. Now he must prove to Ross and the fan base that he can load the team with playmakers to compliment a roster full of lunch pail building blocks.

To be fair, Chris Chambers didn't make the Pro Bowl until his 5th year and Bell not until his 7th season. Like you said, Pouncey looks like a Pro Bowler and he is just in his 2nd year, Reshad Jones is also playing at a Pro Bowl caliber and he is in 3rd season. If Tannehill is who we hope he is, he could be a future pro bowler and the rest of the 2012 class is to soon to know for sure.

Granted. That's why I pointed out in the interest of fairness and disclosure that it looks like Mike Pouncey's first Pro Bowl berth is a matter of when, not if. However, I'm not as sure about Reshad Jones as everyone else seems to be. I think there's a good chance he doesn't make it this year and if he doesn't, if he toils in the same realm of "solid but not many interceptions" that Yeremiah toiled for all those years, he may continue to stay in the group on the outside looking in.

As for the Tannehill part, you could've said the same about Chad Henne. I don't see how that has any value to the discussion.

The point I would like to reiterate though is the fact that Ireland exercised 3x as many draft resources as Wannstedt in order to get these players.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Bell was an alternate, also. He only made it when Antoine Bethea pulled out with an injury.

He still went. The only Ireland player that has been to the Pro Bowl is Jake Long.

Granted. That's why I pointed out in the interest of fairness and disclosure that it looks like Mike Pouncey's first Pro Bowl berth is a matter of when, not if. However, I'm not as sure about Reshad Jones as everyone else seems to be. I think there's a good chance he doesn't make it this year and if he doesn't, if he toils in the same realm of "solid but not many interceptions" that Yeremiah toiled for all those years, he may continue to stay in the group on the outside looking in.

As for the Tannehill part, you could've said the same about Chad Henne. I don't see how that has any value to the discussion.

The point I would like to reiterate though is the fact that Ireland exercised 3x as many draft resources as Wannstedt in order to get these players.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

He still went. The only Ireland player that has been to the Pro Bowl is Jake Long.

I am not here to defend Ireland, but I think we need to only judge him based on the last two drafts. The previous 3 drafts need to be referred to as the Parcells drafts.

How can you say that? Do you know for a "fact" that Ireland "alone" was in-charge of the previous drafts since he's been here?

I am not here to defend Ireland, but I think we need to only judge him based on the last two drafts. The previous 3 drafts need to be referred to as the Parcells drafts.
Well his 2011 draft kinda sucks to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom