Armando: Ireland job doesn't appear at risk | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Ireland job doesn't appear at risk

I am not here to defend Ireland, but I think we need to only judge him based on the last two drafts. The previous 3 drafts need to be referred to as the Parcells drafts.

I agree, whether we agree with it or not, I think the main reason Ireland is still here is because Ross has separated Ireland from the 2008-2010 teams ran by Parcells. I know Ireland had input and his hands on those drafts, but the man pulling the trigger and making the final decisions was Parcells. Doesn't matter what Ireland's contract said, but he did not get 100% full control of the team until September 2010.

If that is indeed the case, Ireland is being judged from the 2011 season and on, which is why he will likely get a pass for two losing seasons, one that includes a new head coach. If he has three(assuming this is a losing season and so is 2013) he will lose his job.

Oh lord here we go blaming Parcells again, so what the heck was Ireland doing the entire time? Ordering McDonalds for Parcells?

I am not here to defend Ireland, but I think we need to only judge him based on the last two drafts. The previous 3 drafts need to be referred to as the Parcells drafts.

Jeff Ireland was the General Manager the whole time, with final say authority written into his contract.

Every General Manager has a boss that can override them at any time. Every single one.

Well his 2011 draft kinda sucks to be honest.

Four of the sixth draft picks are still on the team and are regular contributors. Pouncey looks to be a future Pro Bowler. The jury is still out on Daniel Thomas (Personally I would not have drafted Thomas in the 2nd round given his limited experience at running back). Charles Clay has had his moments and so has Jimmy Wilson.

Was it a great draft, no but IMO, I don't think it kinda sucks either.

I agree, whether we agree with it or not, I think the main reason Ireland is still here is because Ross has separated Ireland from the 2008-2010 teams ran by Parcells. I know Ireland had input and his hands on those drafts, but the man pulling the trigger and making the final decisions was Parcells. Doesn't matter what Ireland's contract said, but he did not get 100% full control of the team until September 2010.

If that is indeed the case, Ireland is being judged from the 2011 season and on, which is why he will likely get a pass for two losing seasons, one that includes a new head coach. If he has three(assuming this is a losing season and so is 2013) he will lose his job.

This.

Exactly what I said in this thread a few posts ago.

Four of the sixth draft picks are still on the team and are regular contributors. Pouncey looks to be a future Pro Bowler. The jury is still out on Daniel Thomas (Personally I would not have drafted Thomas in the 2nd round given his limited experience at running back). Charles Clay has had his moments and so has Jimmy Wilson.
None of them are any good outside of Pouncey.

The standards around here are so ridiculously low. Now we have fans hoping that NE rests its starters so that we can eek out another pathetic win and maybe Ireland won't get the firing he so richly deserves. If it were the Jets or Bills in this position, every one here would be laughing at them.

Ross' office, the day after the season ends--

ROSS: Jeff, we just had our fourth losing season in a row. That never happened before. What am I going to do with you?

IRELAND: Well, in my defense, did you see how good we looked against New England's back-ups? They were no match for us. I think I deserve a contract extension. And a raise.

ROSS: Done and done. Go get 'em, kid.

Really stretching with these tidbits. Saying they are still on the team and are "regular contributors" means very little. Wanny and Mueller had crappy players on the team a couple of years after their drafts too. When the best thing you can say about players are that they "had their moments" you know you are grasping for straws. Charles Clay and Jimmy Wilson are not positive indicators of a good draft. Clay has done very little and so has Wilson. When you point to those players as reason to try to prove a succussful draft, you are hurting your case

Jeff Ireland was the General Manager the whole time, with final say authority written into his contract.

Every General Manager has a boss that can override them at any time. Every single one.

The person who would override them is the owner. Which rarely happens outside of Al Davis.

Dont believe for a second that anyone other than Parcells ran those drafts. This is the only explanation as to why Ireland is still GM.

Some teams don't even have the title of General Manager in their staffs. Denver has VP of Football operations and no GM. Who do you think is running those drafts? What was Parcells job title again with the Fins?

Ireland as GM under Parcells was nothing but a sounding board and input for Parcells. He knew his tenure would be short as always, so Ireland was the heir in Parcells view.

Oh I forgot...if a player is not a Pro Bowler he is not any good. :rolleyes2:

Whos a good player out of that draft besides Pouncey? Let me rephrase it another way. If an objective, non-dolphin fan looked at that draft, who would they point at besides Pouncey and say "you know what, hes a good player"

Really stretching with these tidbits. Saying they are still on the team and are "regular contributors" means very little. Wanny and Mueller had crappy players on the team a couple of years after their drafts too. When the best thing you can say about players are that they "had their moments" you know you are grasping for straws. Charles Clay and Jimmy Wilson are not positive indicators of a good draft. Clay has done very little and so has Wilson. When you point to those players as reason to try to prove a succussful draft, you are hurting your case
What do you consider crappy players? Those that are not Pro Bowlers? Those that are not starters? Those that don't contribute at all? Those you do not like for whatever reason?

Who said anything about a successful draft? I only stated that they were still on the team and are regular contributors. It's not like they are still on the team and are inactive every week. If you want to described players who are regular contributors as crappy then so be it.

Back
Top Bottom