Bolts may keep Brees,Trade Rivers. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bolts may keep Brees,Trade Rivers.

Trekbiz said:
I think your crazy to make that statement.
QB is one of the most important positions on the football field.
If a potential marquee QB is available in round 1 he will definitely be a consideration. For you to say he won't be a consideration to me is purely rediculous.

One of the reasons we have been in this QB mess is because we never seriously addressed it in the draft. How long do you ignore such an important position?

I know you have some important position or have been involved in scouting of some sort, but this post really resembles someone that has little grasp of the situation we are in.

Trek, how, as we stand today can you consider a QB when you have no idea what the guy who you traded the 1st pick of the 2nd round for, is like????? Are you going to give up on him after a season where he has played 12 quarters behind the worst OL in football that I have seen for years, with a myriad of mediocre runners - Travis Minor excluded - and a limited offensive philosophy??????

Tell me who the potential marquee QB is at this stage in the draft? Matt Leinart - questions about arm strength, an inability to look off defenders, playing for the team with the best skill players in the nation. I'm a fan, but I'm not ready to annoint him a marquee player. Kyle Orton? Same thing. Arm issues, etc. Aaron Rodgers - small, a junior.......Andrew Walter, consistency problems, etc. I'm not ready to use a #1 pick on any of them at this stage because we have no idea what we have in AJ Feeley.

People are blinded to the fact that Feelery wasn't the name they wanted - they wanted Brunell, who is the worst QB in the league as we stand today and has thrown for UNDER 100 yards in 3 of the last 4 games. They wanted Drew Henson because he was the sexy name. Miami fans have never gotten over Marino leaving, we have been spoilt by what he brought to the table.

The bottom line is, to give up on Feeley after this season and use essentially the #1 overall pick and the 33rd overall pick on QB's is a ridiculous notion. We are not good enough to waste draft picks that way.

Not picking a fight with ya boom...

Boomer said:
The bottom line is, to give up on Feeley after this season and use essentially the #1 overall pick and the 33rd overall pick on QB's is a ridiculous notion. We are not good enough to waste draft picks that way.

But there are those who would argure that Wanny's initial suitcase when he leaves campus should contain the GM. I'm starting to wonder if it's better to not make any kind of trade when the best deal available is for someone as untested. I hope Feeley proves me wrong, and the rest of the doubters and I sure want to see him for the rest of the games barring injury so we know for sure.

This years QB crop may not be as good as last years and maybe there's no potential Marinos, but if there's anyone in there who can be the franchise player then I's have to say you have to get him if it proves to be a need.

Ferretsquig said:
I would have to agree with that. Unless he shows himself to be completely useless over the next few weeks, Feeley is staying. The best to hope for is a second tier QB who comes to Miami for the starting job after the market has dried up. Might as well accept it....this team is in for another lousy season.

I havent seen /feeley show anything that would make me believe he can start in the NFL. He has been sub par so far in each showing.

Boomer said:
Trek, how, as we stand today can you consider a QB when you have no idea what the guy who you traded the 1st pick of the 2nd round for, is like????? Are you going to give up on him after a season where he has played 12 quarters behind the worst OL in football that I have seen for years, with a myriad of mediocre runners - Travis Minor excluded - and a limited offensive philosophy??????

Tell me who the potential marquee QB is at this stage in the draft? Matt Leinart - questions about arm strength, an inability to look off defenders, playing for the team with the best skill players in the nation. I'm a fan, but I'm not ready to annoint him a marquee player. Kyle Orton? Same thing. Arm issues, etc. Aaron Rodgers - small, a junior.......Andrew Walter, consistency problems, etc. I'm not ready to use a #1 pick on any of them at this stage because we have no idea what we have in AJ Feeley.

People are blinded to the fact that Feelery wasn't the name they wanted - they wanted Brunell, who is the worst QB in the league as we stand today and has thrown for UNDER 100 yards in 3 of the last 4 games. They wanted Drew Henson because he was the sexy name. Miami fans have never gotten over Marino leaving, we have been spoilt by what he brought to the table.

I think Feeley is gonna get his shot. And if he doesn't prove anything the last seven games, the guys got nothing to offer this team other than a backup role. He's not a rookie, he's been in the league for a few years and to be honest.....he hasn't shown anything thus far that would make you believe he can be something special.

So it's not like waiting for a first round draft pick to develop, he barely played in college so why would you believe he could be anything special anyway. I say, give him his shot as most fans want to see, but he shouldn't get an automatic pass to next season just because we wasted a second rounder on him. Again, unless he shows he has something.

BTW, I live in the Philly area and get harassed by my co-workers constantly (all Eagles fans) because we got SO roped on this damn deal. :shakeno:

We should trade Feely and our first for Rivers and the Chargers first.

This way we get a Top QB AND a first round pick (a center, perhaps?), while the Chargers get a decent back-up and the #2 pick in the draft in exchange for their back-up.

FastFin said:

This way we get a Top QB AND a first round pick (a center, perhaps?), while the Chargers get a decent back-up and the #2 pick in the draft in exchange for their back-up.
How do you know Miami would be getting a top QB? Rivers has not even thrown a pass in the NFL.

Dphins4me said:
How do you know Miam would be getting a top QB? Rivers has no even thrown a pass in the NFL.
Let me put it this way.Assuming you would want to draft a QB would you prefer to draft one of the two top QBs who will probably be available or would you prefer to trade for Rivers with our first round pick.I know its a simplistic question because there will be other factors involved.

dolphindude13 said:
I agree with you on Feeley....lets just hope Bates doesn't follow Wanny's lead and play Fiedler! Even if AJ plays well in the last 7 games, I think we have to take a shot at the franchise type QB.....more than likely he wouldnt start next year and that would take you pretty much through AJ's contract....Which means Rodgers is groomed and ready for 06.
Jay Fiedler is due a $6 million roster bonus next year, so you know he is going to get cut during the offseason. We need to look at Sage this year, late in a game to see if he is solid enough as the #2 QB. If so, I say we draft a long term project for the #3 spot, like Lefors or Cambell, in the latter rounds.

BTW, my new column is up if you guys want to check it out at www.nfldraftblitz.com

Gunner

Gunner4u65 said:
Jay Fiedler is due a $6 million roster bonus next year, so you know he is going to get cut during the offseason. We need to look at Sage this year, late in a game to see if he is solid enough as the #2 QB. If so, I say we draft a long term project for the #3 spot, like Lefors or Cambell, in the latter rounds.

BTW, my new column is up if you guys want to check it out at www.nfldraftblitz.com

Gunner

With the way our O-line is playing and how banged up Feeley is... Rosenfels will likely start a game or two before the season is over.

FastFin said:

And the chargers then take around 30 million cap hit? I dont think so.

If I was the Chargers I would first try to get Dallas' 2 firsts for Brees

It would be worth a shot and if you drafted right you would soon have a super-bowl team

Phinphanatic13 said:
Amen to that. Rodgers is the guy we need. Feeley has shown nothing except stupidity and the occasional nice pass. Fix the O-line yes, but you can do that with later picks and FA. We just need to find out who can play and who can't so we know how many holes we have on it. But I have no problem taking a QB 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th and I hope it's Rodgers. Not sure I want to take an O-linemen that high- Gallery could have been taken lower and Tony Mandarich comes to mind. And yes, so does Ryan Leak and a bunch of other busts a QB but it's a risk either way.

What are you talking about? Cant you see from this year that it is NOT that easy to fix a broken line. We take a high round QB...and ignore the line..we wont be able to afford a solid FA OL and a RB. Without a doubt...WITHOUT A DOUBT...our line is the first thing that needs fixed. Not QB..not RB. We need a solid kick *** line. Do you really think Reuben Droughs is a 1500 yard back. NO!! Behind Denver's line....Travis Minor is a 1400 yard back. Start at the line....see what we can do next year with Feeley....see what we get with Lamar Gordon..then move on to QB in year two of our rebuilding. IT ALL STARTS AND ENDS WITH THE LINE.

Hechert/Saban/Rivers '05

that would be nice

how about Heckert/Childress/Leinhart?

Philter25 said:
And the chargers then take around 30 million cap hit? I dont think so.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=1866132

$30M? You're WAY overstating it.

the bonus is the biggest acceleration hit; it was $14.25M - which when you deduct this year, carries about $12M into next year. Add to that his salary for next year, and his cap hit is about $16-18M.

Yes, that's a lot of dead money for a team to carry; but suppose they got something in return that made it worthwhile? Suppose, for instance - just for instance, that we gave them Zach, Madison, and our #1 for Rivers and their #1. They'd be carrying that dead money, but we'd be carrying about the same or a little more. (more or less - don't start with your g*ddam deconstructing here!)

Now, each team would be carrying $ for players on the other team - but it would even out; so, if you look at it that way, we get a QB we hope will be a star for a first-year hit of $18M or so, and they get two pro-bowl players for the same.

If both teams agreed that this was a good deal, they could justify it as a business decision, and go forward - just like any other business that decides to take a loss on something, and lives with it and goes on.

Plus, remember that the cap number will change dramatically next year because of the new TV contract - so all teams are going to have some room to play.

Back
Top Bottom