Bolts may keep Brees,Trade Rivers. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bolts may keep Brees,Trade Rivers.

Hugh Janus said:
Hechert/Saban/Rivers '05

that would be nice

how about Heckert/Childress/Leinhart?

Im okay with that too...

Just as long as SPIELMAN isnt in there anywhere.

Gunner4u65 said:
Jay Fiedler is due a $6 million roster bonus next year, so you know he is going to get cut during the offseason. We need to look at Sage this year, late in a game to see if he is solid enough as the #2 QB. If so, I say we draft a long term project for the #3 spot, like Lefors or Cambell, in the latter rounds.

BTW, my new column is up if you guys want to check it out at www.nfldraftblitz.com
Gunner

Hey Gunner.Its been a while .By your response you must have voted for picking a QB in later rounds.Obviously Orlovsky and Frye wont go past the first day. I understand Cambell but dont you think LeFors is too small for the NFL?.He is also reputed to have a suspect arm.

CrunchTime said:
Let me put it this way.Assuming you would want to draft a QB would you prefer to draft one of the two top QBs who will probably be available or would you prefer to trade for Rivers with our first round pick.I know its a simplistic question because there will be other factors involved.
I'll take another QB over Rivers. Rivers was way overdrafted IMO.

After playing 4 seasons at NC State, he was rated as a 3rd rounder before the offseason. He climbed all the way up to top 3 in the draft?

I'm always leary of players who climb that far when games are not being played.

Boomer said:
You don't spend a 2nd round pick - a very high 2nd round pick on a QB and play him for a couple of games behind a terrible line, with the worst starting OC and RG combo in the league, with no running game to speak of, with about 8 different people giving him advice from the coaching side and then dump him because he throws a couple of picks and use more high picks on unproven players.

It's a ridiculous strategy that won't happen here.

Sorry Boomer, but when the trade was made nobody knew how good of a pick that 2nd rounder would be. It also was a year ago, which makes it 3rd round value at the time of the trade.

I think Feeley's future will be determined by our next Head coach and GM. They are not going to invest in him or hand him the starting job unless they believe he has what it takes to succeed in thier system. You don't put the fate of your franchise in jeapordy because of a trade the old GM made. Feeley is going to have to impress whomever we hire or he could also be replaced...IMO. He's not going to be kept around just because we sent a good 2nd rounder for him.

NaboCane said:
the bonus is the biggest acceleration hit; it was $14.25M - which when you deduct this year, carries about $12M into next year. Add to that his salary for next year, and his cap hit is about $16-18M.

Yes, that's a lot of dead money for a team to carry; but suppose they got something in return that made it worthwhile? Suppose, for instance - just for instance, that we gave them Zach, Madison, and our #1 for Rivers and their #1. They'd be carrying that dead money, but we'd be carrying about the same or a little more. (more or less - don't start with your g*ddam deconstructing here!)

Now, each team would be carrying $ for players on the other team - but it would even out; so, if you look at it that way, we get a QB we hope will be a star for a first-year hit of $18M or so, and they get two pro-bowl players for the same.
If they trade him then only the remaining portion of his signing bonus will be the cap hit.

His salary will be on the other teams cap.

If Miami & SD made that trade then Miami would have the cap hits for Zachs & Madisons Signing bonus plus Rivers salary.

SD cap hit would be Rivers signing bonus and Zachs & Madison salary.

CrunchTime said:
Hey Gunner.Its been a while .By your response you must have voted for picking a QB in later rounds.Obviously Orlovsky and Frye wont go past the first day. I understand Cambell but dont you think LeFors is too small for the NFL?.He is also reputed to have a suspect arm.
Like anyone else, as the season has gone on, and players have excelled or regressed, my opinion changes. I was big on Orton earlier, and then I was leaning towards Rogers after the Cal/USC game ... now, I am like many people who just arent sold on anyone in the top 5 of the draft that is worthy of that high of a pick that also fills a need for us. My top 5 are
1. CB Rolle
2. OLB Johnson
3. WR Williams
4. DT Wright
5. WR Edwards.

Trading down seems to be the most prudent option as none of those guys fills a need unless we decide to get younger quick at the CB position and cut/trade Madison & Surtain.

I will say that I am very high on Ronnie Brown right now. The kid IMO has the best all around talent of any of the runners coming out in '05 and is bigger than C. Williams (6'1/224 vrs 5'11/204 respectively). I just think he will be one of those Faulk/Edge kind of guys who produces in all aspects of the game. I cant wait to go to Senior Bowl week next year and see if I can get a quick interview with him. I got to talk to Rivers last year and came away very impressed. I asked him if he would like to play for the Fins and he smiled and said he had heard those rumors too. Alas, his week down here in Mobile propelled him into the top of the draft.

All I can say about Lefors is the guy produces and he is getting the same tag that Drew Brees got coming out because their measurables are nearly identical. Its hard to get a prototypical QB in the later rounds because they are either snapped up in the early rounds or are left floundering into the lower rounds for a reason ... be it a head case or off field problems. In my column I mentioned drafting a guy to groom for a few years, LeFors could be that kind of guy with his football savy, but as you may have noticed in my mock draft, I went with Cambell who has more potential and could turn out to be a poor mans Steve McNair.

As for Frye, he is an intruiging guy ... is being compared to Chad Pennington. I havent gotten to see much film on him yet. He could be snapped up in the 3rd round if his pre-draft workouts arent good. More than likely though, someone will get him in the 2nd. If his workouts are top notch, he could come out of no where like Rivers did at the end of last season. Time will tell!

Gunner

Boomer said:
I'm sorry but people are crazy if you think Miami is bringing in a high priced FA QB or drafting a QB in R1 or sending a high pick to get a QB. It IS NOT HAPPENING.

This actually sounds exactly like something the fins would do in recent years. After all, they kept Wanny for 5 years.

Trekbiz said:
Actually they do hold the cards.
They can franchise Brees and make anyone interested in him give up someone in trade.
They arent going to franchise Brees. If they did, they would have to offer Brees a 1 year contract worth around 10-15 mil (depending on whether its the exclusive or non-exclusive tag) The minute Brees signs the offer, which would be seconds after it SD offered it, the contract becomes guaranteed. Now, any team that would want Brees would inherit that contract, plus whatever compensation SD wanted.
No team is going to pay Brees 10million PLUS give SD a player or pick, and there is no way SD will take the chance that they would have to count both Rivers and his signing and roster bonuses as well as Brees' 10mil against their cap.

dolphan98 said:
I thought frachised players contracts were not guaranteed? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought if San Diego franchised Brees then cut him before the season, they would be off the hook.
Nope, the only way that SD would be off the hook is if they withdrew their qualifying offer BEFORE Brees signed it. The moment he signs, the contract is guaranteed.
I imagine that Drew would be signing his name on the dotted line before the GM even finished making the offer.

yankeehillbilly said:
Nope, the only way that SD would be off the hook is if they withdrew their qualifying offer BEFORE Brees signed it. The moment he signs, the contract is guaranteed.
I imagine that Drew would be signing his name on the dotted line before the GM even finished making the offer.

No s**t!

With the Manning deal factored in, how much is the franchise tag for a QB next year?

NaboCane said:
No s**t!

With the Manning deal factored in, how much is the franchise tag for a QB next year?
According to Pat Kirwin (nfl.com), the franchise tag for QBs in 2005 will cost around 11mil
There actually 2 types of "Franchise Tags", exclusive and non-exclusive. If a player is tagged Exclusive, then he cannot negotiate with any other team and he gets a 1 year deal worth the avg of the top 5 salaries at his position as of April 16th.
If a player is tagged Non Exclusive then he can negotiate with other teams, but his original team has the right to match any offer from another team, or receive 2 first round picks from that team if they choose not to match. If the player remains with his original team he gets a 1 year deal worth the avg of the top 5 salaries at his position from the previous league year.

Gunner4u65 said:
Like anyone else, as the season has gone on, and players have excelled or regressed, my opinion changes. I was big on Orton earlier, and then I was leaning towards Rogers after the Cal/USC game ... now, I am like many people who just arent sold on anyone in the top 5 of the draft that is worthy of that high of a pick that also fills a need for us. My top 5 are
1. CB Rolle
2. OLB Johnson
3. WR Williams
4. DT Wright
5. WR Edwards.

Trading down seems to be the most prudent option as none of those guys fills a need unless we decide to get younger quick at the CB position and cut/trade Madison & Surtain.

I will say that I am very high on Ronnie Brown right now. The kid IMO has the best all around talent of any of the runners coming out in '05 and is bigger than C. Williams (6'1/224 vrs 5'11/204 respectively). I just think he will be one of those Faulk/Edge kind of guys who produces in all aspects of the game. I cant wait to go to Senior Bowl week next year and see if I can get a quick interview with him. I got to talk to Rivers last year and came away very impressed. I asked him if he would like to play for the Fins and he smiled and said he had heard those rumors too. Alas, his week down here in Mobile propelled him into the top of the draft.

All I can say about Lefors is the guy produces and he is getting the same tag that Drew Brees got coming out because their measurables are nearly identical. Its hard to get a prototypical QB in the later rounds because they are either snapped up in the early rounds or are left floundering into the lower rounds for a reason ... be it a head case or off field problems. In my column I mentioned drafting a guy to groom for a few years, LeFors could be that kind of guy with his football savy, but as you may have noticed in my mock draft, I went with Cambell who has more potential and could turn out to be a poor mans Steve McNair.

As for Frye, he is an intruiging guy ... is being compared to Chad Pennington. I havent gotten to see much film on him yet. He could be snapped up in the 3rd round if his pre-draft workouts arent good. More than likely though, someone will get him in the 2nd. If his workouts are top notch, he could come out of no where like Rivers did at the end of last season. Time will tell!

Gunner
Rodrique Wright doesn't fill a need? Dude, Bowens is done.

Gunner4u65 said:
1. CB Rolle
2. OLB Johnson
3. WR Williams
4. DT Wright
5. WR Edwards.

Gunner
Gunner I cant find your mock draft.Do you have a direct link to it ?

finregime said:
Feeley is a bum and a bum with an ego is the last thing we need around here.I still want us to draft Rodgers or at least get a QB in the first 3 rounds but at this point we dont know if we auction off ricky and what we get also it is a very real possibility we get rid of surtain for picks so lets wait and see but I dont think feeley is worth a pot to piss in.
Rodgers is the man and I hope like heck we can get him. I give Feeley credit for being tough but he's paid alot of money to be tough. Other than that, I don't see him as the answer.

If that happens, SD will have gotten so much for a rookie including the ones they already got from the Giants.

Back
Top Bottom