Brandon Graham high on Miami's wishlist | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Graham high on Miami's wishlist

Graham has been my guy at 12, since the senior bowl. I love the way the guy plays, he also played LB before going to college I believe. What a motor on that kid. I also think he would bring even more unity to the team with Jake and Henne already down here.

Guys like Spiller and Bryant are real nice picks, but one has to love the fire Graham plays with. Thomas would also be a smart pick at 12

Last edited by a moderator:
dang...those lb drills look pretty good...just needs to drop his hips a bit more...

i've been waiting to see something like that...

he didn't look jason worilds fluid to me in lb drills as far as the natural hips but he looked plenty good enough and i love how he went over the bags afterwards...

yeah i like that a lot...couple that with the tape and i really like it...

good feet on the drop drill also...no wasted steps exploded off his back foot when asked to come forward...

on the rip drill with the bags i thought he dropped his weight nicely...

kept his toes underneath of him in his drop also...something i think is key in fluid lbs...balanced...explosive

ck, that was a great write up on brandon graham. parcells loves michigan.

nice big board

CK & Boomer are a huge assets to this site and whatever they say should be taken as gold. I really wish CK or Boomer could give me their 2 cents on my unofficial Draft Guide. As they were both an inspiration.

I have a question CK, you think Jake Long is sharing info on Graham with the Trifecta. One would think he use to face him in practices.

I find that many people bring up the possibility that Graham is "maxed out".

I have to disagree. I see specific ways for him to get better at the NFL level. I call them "low hanging fruit" because they are IMMEDIATE fixes that provide upside, even as a rookie. I don't consider serious technique shifts and adjusting to the speed of the game to be low hanging fruit. Those take time. But the following, they should be able to be done immediately:

Low Hanging Fruit #1: Lose weight. He's at 268 right now and might have even played heavier than that. He doesn't need to be that big. He'll need to keep that lower body muscle (a Parcells favorite) but his upper body girth can afford to come in a little I think. I think hard core weight trainers will tell you that losing weight and gaining weight are different. They're not 1-for-1 scales. Normally you lose a pound to gain speed and the cost is some strength or some mass that you get to throw around. You gain a pound and you lose speed and the cost is more strength and more mass to throw around. But the cost/benefit relationship for losing weight is more advantageous than that for gaining weight. Normally most college guys will need to gain some weight in order to do what they did in college. Graham is one of those that would be asked to lose a little weight I think. As such, he should gain a lot of speed and explosion, and not lose too much strength. It's something that can be done quickly that could potentially make him a more effective player.

Low Hanging Fruit #2: Get off the snap. For whatever reason one of the more maddening aspects of his game has been that he is very inconsistent reacting to the snap. This needs to change. The benefits of his getting off the snap more quickly with his first step quickness are just too great. When I see him really on the ball during games, either timing the snap or reacting to it with a hair trigger, he has been damn near unblockable. He can do it, this is what coaching is for, I tent to doubt it's some innate physical or mental limitation.

Low Hanging Fruit #3: Conditioning/Hustle. As I said another maddening aspect of his game is that as a hybrid DT/DE, he didn't really hustle as much as I would like. This may be confusing because he's known as a "high motor" guy. I think there's every-snap motor, and then there's snap-to-whistle motor. He has every-snap motor. Michigan can be out of a game, getting their butt handed to them, and you will RARELY be able to pick out a play where you can say...ok, Brandon Graham was dogging it on that one. He'll still make some pretty incredible plays, sacks...TFLs...punt blocks. But his snap-to-whistle motor does not run high. He's not hustling from across a formation to get to the ball. This is again where coaches make their money. He hustled at the Senior Bowl, saw it with my own two eyes. It can be done. Was it because he was rotating? He played 40 out of 67 snaps at the Senior Bowl. If it were a Michigan game that probably would have been more like 55 out of 67 snaps. It could be because he played a position that was just less energy intensive...rushing from the outside as opposed to banging around the interior. Then again it could be because he was properly motivated. Whether it's motivation, conditioning, position or rotation, doesn't matter. He showed that his snap-to-whistle motor CAN improve over what I saw at Michigan, the secret's out of the bag...and that means this is a low hanging fruit to make him an even better football player.

Low Hanging Fruit #4: Outside Spacing. He rarely got the opportunity at Michigan to genuinely line up as a 7-Technique (edge rusher) and go after the QB. He's got such tremendous power though, and such great explosion, that on those rare occasions he was often able to smash straight through to the QB making it look just plain easy. It was scary how easy he could make that look. Could it be that just lining this guy up wider will make him a better pass rusher before you even take to his technique with a blow torch and soldering iron? I would sure love to find out.

I think you're onto something with your first post. Graham seems to get better as he plays against better competition. Here's a bit from something I posted December 19th:

He played 4 times against ranked teams and 8 times against unranked teams. In those 4 games against ranked teams, he had 15 (!!!) tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks. He comes up big against the best. I fear that he won't be there when we draft, but if he is, I think he might be our guy.

I like in the combine video when they ask if wants to play LB or DE, "It don't matter, I'm good at both of them.":D

I have a question CK, you think Jake Long is sharing info on Graham with the Trifecta. One would think he use to face him in practices.

I think absolutely that they'll be asking Henne and Long what they know of Brandon Graham but they won't place too much emphasis on it because the last time they played with Graham, he was just a sophomore. That was the year Lloyd Carr expressed some disappointment in him right at the beginning when he didn't play in the Appalachian State loss or much in the next game, and Lloyd said he needs to get focused in.

I bet Jake Long could tell them though how naturally gifted he is...I would just worry that if they ask about his sophomore year practice habits, they'll be missing out because his senior year practice habits were probably different.

That was in response to this:

1. Higher motor. I thought his motor revved higher in this game than what I saw of him at Michigan. Was it because he knew everyone would be watching and grading him? Or was it because he knew he wouldn't be asked to play such an energy-exerting role for 90+ percent of the game's snaps? That is anyone's guess but even if it's the former rather than the latter, it's not a bad thing because it means he can be coached to hustle more with the proper motivation.

Wasn't especially clear.

dang...those lb drills look pretty good...just needs to drop his hips a bit more...

i've been waiting to see something like that...

he didn't look jason worilds fluid to me in lb drills as far as the natural hips but he looked plenty good enough and i love how he went over the bags afterwards...

yeah i like that a lot...couple that with the tape and i really like it...

good feet on the drop drill also...no wasted steps exploded off his back foot when asked to come forward...

on the rip drill with the bags i thought he dropped his weight nicely...

kept his toes underneath of him in his drop also...something i think is key in fluid lbs...balanced...explosive

I was trying to figure out how to explain it and someone else used the term "symmetrically balanced football player". Loved it. That's what he is.

He's a short stepper, real thick calves, good center of gravity, keeps his feet under him...very, very balanced.

I think you're onto something with your first post. Graham seems to get better as he plays against better competition. Here's a bit from something I posted December 19th:

Yeah but even those big games...I didn't see the same snap-to-whistle motor as I did the Senior Bowl.

Let me again make something clear. He has an every-down motor. He plays every down the same. But we're talking snap-to-whistle...after the initial surge, if the play is going the other way and he doesn't look like he has a chance to catch it in the backfield from the back side, he's not hustling to the ball and there were definitely instances I counted where he could have affected the outcome of the play had he hustled, because other teammates didn't end up doing their job.

This isn't true. This post strives for ignorance with the zeal of Bush supporters.

While we obviously differ on our stance on McClain vs Graham, I've got to hand it to you. Even thought it's not true (most definitely not a Bush supporter), that was the best put someone in their place analogy I've heard in quite a while!

p.s. I'd still like to see a list (outside of people on this site) that has Graham rated higher as I still doubt it exists.

I was trying to figure out how to explain it and someone else used the term "symmetrically balanced football player". Loved it. That's what he is.

He's a short stepper, real thick calves, good center of gravity, keeps his feet under him...very, very balanced.

Yeah, his ability/balance to break down in space and tackle Pryor one on one in the Ohio St. game was pretty special. Pryor might not be Vince Young but he is an incredibly fast and elusive quarterback. As an OLB he'd be playing a lot in space and that play in particular spoke volumes about what he might be capable of at the next level.

Back
Top Bottom