BS on Yahoo Sports - Brady Better then Marino... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BS on Yahoo Sports - Brady Better then Marino...

Brady does have the best supporting cast and the best numbers...
This is how i figure... take Brady out and Marino in... Marino 60TDs 5,500 YDS. IMO

1. One thing I have noticed is that Brady has options everywhere on the field on every pass play. Not only that but these guys ARE WIDE OPEN. Not just this year, his whole career. That has more to do with coaching and scheme than any particular player.

2. Brady is calm/cold/clutch because he is usually just standing there like a statue with a wall in front of him playing Madden in practice mode. When he is blitzed, he looks average.

3. Marino was a big RISK TAKER. Sometimes he hit, sometimes he didn't. Brady (like Montana) is NOT. The only risky throws he makes are to Randy Moss for a jump ball. Is that really a risk?

4. A 4-12 Dolphins team shut Brady and Co. out last year. How? Pressure. How good can he really be? As good as the defense he is playing allows him. Look at the J'ville playoff game this year. When the Jax Defense played no pressure, NE offense scored 100%. When they blitzed, that was down to 50%. I've noticed that about him his entire career. Seems simple to me.

5. If your criteria is simply winning and being clutch in big games, you have a lot of QBs to consider. Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Simms, Griese, Manning, Favre, Unitas, Young have to be considered and they did it consistently over a long period. You also have to pick a length of time over which to draw a conclusion on the QB. Just this year? Brady just threw 3 picks in a playoff game. If not for some help from the refs and some bonehead coaching on the Chargers part, Brady may have choked in the AFC Championship game. Is that good? The last 2 years? The Dolphins shut him out last year. Is that good? Since he has been playing? Didn't AJ Feeley outduel him a couple of years ago on a Monday night?

6. Yes, if the referees call the leg whip this past weekend against Vrabel on the play where Phillips throws the pick and the Chargers are able to puch it in te endzone just once and limp out a win, are we even having this conversation? He threw 3 picks in a playoff game!!! Is that clutch?

It really comes down to opinion, doesn't it? Brady has shown incompetence. Marino has shown incompetence. Marino exposed it more often because he was forced into a lot of difficult situations and took big chances to overcome them. One thing we should all be able to agree upon is this: Marino led the NFL in exciting games, no?

1. One thing I have noticed is that Brady has options everywhere on the field on every pass play. Not only that but these guys ARE WIDE OPEN. Not just this year, his whole career. That has more to do with coaching and scheme than any particular player.

2. Brady is calm/cold/clutch because he is usually just standing there like a statue with a wall in front of him playing Madden in practice mode. When he is blitzed, he looks average.

3. Marino was a big RISK TAKER. Sometimes he hit, sometimes he didn't. Brady (like Montana) is NOT. The only risky throws he makes are to Randy Moss for a jump ball. Is that really a risk?

4. A 4-12 Dolphins team shut Brady and Co. out last year. How? Pressure. How good can he really be? As good as the defense he is playing allows him. Look at the J'ville playoff game this year. When the Jax Defense played no pressure, NE offense scored 100%. When they blitzed, that was down to 50%. I've noticed that about him his entire career. Seems simple to me.

5. If your criteria is simply winning and being clutch in big games, you have a lot of QBs to consider. Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Simms, Griese, Manning, Favre, Unitas, Young have to be considered and they did it consistently over a long period. You also have to pick a length of time over which to draw a conclusion on the QB. Just this year? Brady just threw 3 picks in a playoff game. If not for some help from the refs and some bonehead coaching on the Chargers part, Brady may have choked in the AFC Championship game. Is that good? The last 2 years? The Dolphins shut him out last year. Is that good? Since he has been playing? Didn't AJ Feeley outduel him a couple of years ago on a Monday night?

6. Yes, if the referees call the leg whip this past weekend against Vrabel on the play where Phillips throws the pick and the Chargers are able to puch it in te endzone just once and limp out a win, are we even having this conversation? He threw 3 picks in a playoff game!!! Is that clutch?

It really comes down to opinion, doesn't it? Brady has shown incompetence. Marino has shown incompetence. Marino exposed it more often because he was forced into a lot of difficult situations and took big chances to overcome them. One thing we should all be able to agree upon is this: Marino led the NFL in exciting games, no?

That was my 13th post. SHWEEEET!!!

Brady has all-round team around him. Marino didnt. Easy to say but thats a fact. Brady has done very well and not even suppased himself with the talent he has on O-Line, WR and Coaching.

my basement is covered in Dan Marino stuff, and i hate the patsys...but if you dont think that Tom Brady is with out a doubt a top 3 QB of all-time then you shouldnt be allowed to talk football on this board...

Manning is better because he puts up better regualr season stats??? Is Fouts better than Montana then? That's a bad argument. Manning chokes when the games matter most. Even last year during their Super Bowl run, Manning throw 1 td to 7 ints. If you think Manning is better than Brady, I got a bridge to sell ya.​

Stats are for nerds. The only stat that matters is wins. And right now, Brady is the best at winning % in the regular season and playoffs. I'd take that over td passes (for the record, Jim Kelly neve threw for 30 tds in a season).​

What do you mean talent standpoint? Joe Montana wasn't a particular talented QB but is in the top 3 of all time QBs. Clayton and Duper were very good wrs. Farve had Sharpe and Walker (both 1sts rounders). Manning had Wayne and Harrison (1st rounders).​

Before this season, Brady has never played with a 1st round receiver. If you think any QB from above played with a worse cast than Givens, Branch, and Brown, you're nuts.​

No offense but you're making stuff up. The Pats' defense in 2001 was ranked 24th (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...nType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Find), ranked 7th in 2003 (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...nType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Find), and 9th in 2004.​

Look I understand defending your guy and I hate the Pats*, but Brady is the best QB ever. He is unbelieveable. And before this year, he's had some of the worst offensive weapons in the league. He was a 2nd half collaspe last year from taking the Pats* to the Super Bowl with Reche "Bug Eyes" Caldwell as his #1 wr. Caldwell is now the 4th wr for the Redskins. Brady is the best and you disagree, you are delusional. :up:​

Jay Fiedler had a winning percentage comparable to the best QBs in the league for several seasons. I guess he should be in this discussion too. I guess Miami was winning 10 and 11 games a season due to Jay Fiedler. Since only wins matter I'll assume we're in agreement here. Fiedler got plenty of Ws so he must have been among the best.

my basement is covered in Dan Marino stuff, and i hate the patsys...but if you dont think that Tom Brady is with out a doubt a top 3 QB of all-time then you shouldnt be allowed to talk football on this board...

Gotta go folks! Looks like I won't be back. :lol:

Pretty nearsighted thing to say especially when you take into account there are a couple of qbs who could be called great.

He is a great QB but he isnt Passed Dan Marino yet he maybe some day if Dan Marino had those WR that he has he would have been UNSTOPBLE

Jay Fiedler had a winning percentage comparable to the best QBs in the league for several seasons. I guess he should be in this discussion too. I guess Miami was winning 10 and 11 games a season due to Jay Fiedler. Since only wins matter I'll assume we're in agreement here. Fiedler got plenty of Ws so he must have been among the best.

Terrible example. Fielder's job was not to screw up too bad. What was Fielder's playoff record? What was his td to int ratio? How many times did he throw for over 3,000 yards?

Brady wins games. Big difference. His career regular season td to int ratio (in my eyes, the most important stat for a QB) is 197 to 86 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady). That's 2.3 td to ever 1 int. In the playoffs, it is 25 to 12, or 2.1 to 1. (For comparison, Montana was only 2 to 1).

Marino's, on the other hand, was 420 to 252, or 1.7 td to 1 int (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Marino). In the playoffs, it's 32 to 24 or 1.3 to 1.

And for winning playoff games, it's no contest. Marino's record was 8-10. Brady's is 14-2. And obviously, it's not all on the QB but they do get the lion's share of the credit.

And this great supporting cast Brady has is laughable. Before this season, would anyone here take guys like Caldwell, Brown, Branch, or Givens over Clayton and Duper? And the homeless guy who coaches them had a losing record in Cleveland and was fired, and was on his way to be fired until Mo Lewis nearly killed Bledsoe. i wonder why he suddenly became a great coach? :err:

I'm gonna stop all this Brady talk because it makes me sick. But I can recognize greatness when I see it, even if it is a rival. Brady, if he wins the Super Bowl, win have the greatest season ever for a QB an will be, IMO, the best qb ever. And Marino, maybe the best pocket passer ever, is a better verison of Dan Fouts. Brady is a slighty better version of Montana.

Of course, I realize that this is also the board that once had a 100 page thread debating if Culpepper was better than Brady. :up:

To each his own.
One thing is for sure NO ONE will ever agree who the Best QB is.
Marino Fans say Marino
Montana Fans say Montana
Elway Fans say Elway...Brady, Manning...

That is the truth. There are just too many variables involved because every single one of those guys is/was 1 out of 11 on a team. If a person wants to argue SB titles then Terry Bradshaw would have to be included. A good case can be made for any mentioned. But what you've posted is the one true fact within this never ending debate.
I do want to mention IMO, the one biggest thing that kept Marino from getting back to the SB was (were) those pesky Bills in the '90s. Marv Levy and the Bills just had our number.

Tom Brady has the best supporting cast of any QB in NFL History. That combined with a lot of cheating by his head coach and referees that make calls for the Patriots all the time.

THIS YEAR maybe but what about his other 3 SBs? he had mediocre offensive talent around him. I have said for a long time Dan Marino was the best QB I have ever seen and I am just about ready to turn that over to Brady. The man is amazing, it doesn't matter what weapons he has he just wins. NE was a franchise spiraling towards the gutter when he stepped on the field and immediately he turned them into a SB caliber team. He is by far the best QB of his generation and rapidly moving up the charts towards greatest of all time.

What about weather of the top 5 QB stat owners brady is the only one who is from the north east who plays outside.

this year his 50 TD came in a year where 7 games the temp was close to 32 out of which 2 games had 20 mph+ wind conditions.Its even more crazy that 1 had sleet and rain all game.

does that come into consideration.

the man won with antowain smith as the RB [700 yrd leading rusher] with deion and givens...now you aer going to argue that deion and given are setting increable stats after brady.

The fact that most great QB arguements come up most times than not comparing them to Marino kind of tells you something. The same guy who unfortunately didn't win any SB's, yet more likely then not is considered the best. There might not even be an arguement if Marino happened to get a ring. The Patriots have also been caught cheating so why doesn't someone go hound them about it like they do in Baseball for years?

Back
Top Bottom