Cam Newton Projected to Fall | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Newton Projected to Fall

If none of those three are available and we trade down, it's still impossible for me to evaluate taking Rudolph unless I know who else was there. But I will say this, that position is not a priority for me either in free agency or in the Draft. They just gave Fasano an extension, he's not going anywhere. And he actually performed really well in 2010 and found the seam a lot more than I thought he would. The fact that Fasano looks so much more dangerous when Tyler Thigpen is in the game shows that a big part of Anthony's problem is Chad Henne, which is a big part of the offense's problem in general. Not to mention the guy was probably held in to pass protect more than any #1 TE in the game today, because of Dan Henning's archaic philosophies.

Any time you get into a thought process that says you need an Anthony Fasano AND a Zach Miller or 1st round pick...you've sold yourself into something. That's not what it takes to win or produce good offense in this league. The problems are elsewhere.

meh...i don't agree with your assessment of fasano...while i can agree that part of the blame is the qb position i just don't think fasano beats man to man coverage consistently or other than on occasion running unimpeded vs really wide split cover 2 safeties can make plays down the seam and he doesn't offer any run after the catch if he does catch a ball down the seam...he's tackled immediately after the catch and runs like he's carrying a load...guys like anthony fasano as pass catchers are not hard to find...he's not a difference maker...he'd be an afterthought in my defensive gameplan as a receiver

If none of those three are available and we trade down, it's still impossible for me to evaluate taking Rudolph unless I know who else was there. But I will say this, that position is not a priority for me either in free agency or in the Draft. They just gave Fasano an extension, he's not going anywhere. And he actually performed really well in 2010 and found the seam a lot more than I thought he would. The fact that Fasano looks so much more dangerous when Tyler Thigpen is in the game shows that a big part of Anthony's problem is Chad Henne, which is a big part of the offense's problem in general. Not to mention the guy was probably held in to pass protect more than any #1 TE in the game today, because of Dan Henning's archaic philosophies.

Any time you get into a thought process that says you need an Anthony Fasano AND a Zach Miller or 1st round pick...you've sold yourself into something. That's not what it takes to win or produce good offense in this league. The problems are elsewhere.

Yup, Many times Fasano was open and never got a look from Henne. Instead he was throwing into Double covered Wr's. When Fasano was out in pass routes he was singled covered and Henne never looked at him. Penny knew how to get Fasano the ball. It does not matter who your TE is if the Qb chooses not to look at him, he aint gonna get the ball.

Speaking of QB %'s, what % would you give Newton for overtaking Gabbert as your favorite in the draft? Random question, but I think I've noticed your excitement level for Newton steadily grow over the last few weeks.

I've been thinking about that a lot lately and I absolutely think it could happen.

Here's the thing that I've been saying about Newton that could do for him exactly what you suggest. Cam Newton has a bigger range as a PASSER than Blaine Gabbert. He has more throws in the arsenal. He has the touch passes that Gabbert has, he has a little bit more accuracy on short passes, he has the accuracy on the stick throws (the rifle shots), and he has more deep accuracy than Blaine Gabbert has ever shown.

Gabbert on the other hand, his ball placement concepts are much more advanced...he throws players open. He's also more advanced in terms of running an offense, reading the defense pre-snap and making route adjustments, audibles, etc. Two things are part of Gary Pinkel's offense, that Gabbert is in charge of optioning to at any time. For one thing, at any given moment on any given play, Gabbert had the freedom to option to the bubble screen based on the defense. For another, the hitch is a possibility on any play based on the defense, and Gabbert need only communicate it to the WR. A lot of coaches won't trust their QB with that level of responsibility.

But if you really pay attention to Cam Newton's game, there's a lot of subtlety in there too, that pays attention to situation, clock, etc. This is just one minor example but at the end of the Georgia game, he was running the ball and I kept noticing he was really slow to get up. I'm just thinking man, he's exhausted, after all he has a lot of runs and passes that day. I see the same thing against Alabama toward the end though and then there's a camera angle that shows...he's on the ground, but he's looking at the sidelines. He was just milking the clock as much as he could. And I kept noticing in those situations he'd be snapping the ball off with 1 second left. His situational awareness and mastery of the details is actually pretty impressive.

meh...i don't agree with your assessment of fasano...while i can agree that part of the blame is the qb position i just don't think fasano beats man to man coverage consistently or other than on occasion running unimpeded vs really wide split cover 2 safeties can make plays down the seam and he doesn't offer any run after the catch if he does catch a ball down the seam...he's tackled immediately after the catch and runs like he's carrying a load...guys like anthony fasano as pass catchers are not hard to find...he's not a difference maker...he'd be an afterthought in my defensive gameplan as a receiver

Why did he get big plays when Penny was here then, and remeber we had no viable WR threats. We had Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo not exactly threats that you have to double. And like CK said why did Fasano play better when Thigpen was QB?

Why did he get big plays when Penny was here then, and remeber we had no viable WR threats. We had Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo not exactly threats that you have to double. And like CK said why did Fasano play better when Thigpen was QB?

cause pennys entire game is the underneath routes and the te...he's check down chad pennington...of course he's gonna throw all those 3 yard routes in the flat to the te etc

you guys can like fasano all you want...in line i'm ok with him but as a receiving threat and someone that has to be accounted for he's not someone that dcs are all that worried about..i rarely if ever see him command any extra attention...

whatever...we could do worse...lol

Yup, Many times Fasano was open and never got a look from Henne. Instead he was throwing into Double covered Wr's. When Fasano was out in pass routes he was singled covered and Henne never looked at him. Penny knew how to get Fasano the ball. It does not matter who your TE is if the Qb chooses not to look at him, he aint gonna get the ball.

Henne does not see the field well, I have seen him throw into coverage when in the same area there is a wide open man.

This is something you either have in my opinion or you don't....especially after 4 years of starting in college and 3 years in the NFL.

cause pennys entire game is the underneath routes and the te...he's check down chad pennington...of course he's gonna throw all those 3 yard routes in the flat to the te etc

you guys can like fasano all you want...in line i'm ok with him but as a receiving threat and someone that has to be accounted for he's not someone that dcs are all that worried about..i rarely if ever see him command any extra attention...

whatever...we could do worse...lol

It was not just underneath tho. Penny found Fasano in key situations, one example in the Jets revenge game. Fasano went off that game. I agree he is not someone your going to split out. Yes we could def do alot worse.

To me, if the QB situation this year is just hopeless...then trade down and acquire a 1st rounder in 2012.

The fans aren't going to like anything you do anyway and you're going to run the risk of being fired in 2012.

It was not just underneath tho. Penny found Fasano in key situations, one example in the Jets revenge game. Fasano went off that game. I agree he is not someone your going to split out. Yes we could def do alot worse.

its been so long since penny played any meaningful snaps i hardly remember any more...but i'm still not a fan of fasano as a true pass catching threat...it won't change

If Miami trades down they'd do well to consider someone premium to go opposite Marshall, like a Jon Baldwin.

To me, if the QB situation this year is just hopeless...then trade down and acquire a 1st rounder in 2012.

The fans aren't going to like anything you do anyway and you're going to run the risk of being fired in 2012.

I could see Ireland and Co trading a 2012 pick for a 2011 pick (rules permitting of course) If they believe in Henne.

if we don't get out to a solid early start in 2011 i'm betting sparano doesn't make it out of week 10 still in the building

I agree although it depends on the QB position. If we draft a rookie and that happens, I think he buys himself more time.

Back
Top Bottom