Chiefs & Dolphins have had talks regarding Branden Albert | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chiefs & Dolphins have had talks regarding Branden Albert

It just seems like a lot to pay to give up a 2nd, let alone TWO actual draft picks with so many tackles coming out in this years draft. If we give up more than a third round pick it just seems to be too expensive. Playing Monday morning GM here I'd rather sign a stop gap RT and draft a real LT in the draft.

So, I guess we're all in agreement that Martin is a bust? Because if we're willing to overpay for Fat Albert, that's what it says to me. I guess we can stop calling last year's draft such an overwhelming success, because Ireland whiffed on yet another 2nd round pick (amongst other picks).

If this trade goes through, who do we overpay to be backup for when he misses games due to backaches? Also, we're definitely going to need to address RB in this draft, because Thomas will get killed faster than normal behind this guy.

I hope it's all just rumors, because this just doesn't make any sense to me. If we don't have better options at LT, then why not just pay Long what STL offered and keep him (no picks necessary). Some would argue we didn't because of injury concerns. If that truly was a concern, then why were we even trying to bring him back then? Obviously not too much of a concern if willing to pay him a certain amount. So instead we are willing to part with one/two draft picks, pay pretty much what Long got and still have a LT with possible injury concerns?? I'm not buying it. If Ireland does, he's going to really take some heat on that move, especially if/when it blows up in his face.

So, I guess we're all in agreement that Martin is a bust? Because if we're willing to overpay for Fat Albert, that's what it says to me. I guess we can stop calling last year's draft such an overwhelming success, because Ireland whiffed on yet another 2nd round pick (amongst other picks).

If this trade goes through, who do we overpay to be backup for when he misses games due to backaches? Also, we're definitely going to need to address RB in this draft, because Thomas will get killed faster than normal behind this guy.

lol no, and I can't see how anyone can say that if we make the trade and Martin goes back to the right side.

Plus I don't see where we have over paid for him, no trade has happened. To me because it has taken this long, it appears Ireland is playing hardball and if a deal is going to get done it will be on his terms. It also tells me Ireland feels he has options.

You opened up the can of worms early this morning.

Still way too early on Martin, but yeah, it's worrying.

lol no, and I can't see how anyone can say that if we make the trade and Martin goes back to the right side.

Plus I don't see where we have over paid for him, no trade has happened. To me because it has taken this long, it appears Ireland is playing hardball and if a deal is going to get done it will be on his terms. It also tells me Ireland feels he has options.

Wait, so now Martin was good at RT? Funny, in EVERY Long thread, I read about he was absolutely horrible there. The vitriol approached Colombo levels at times. But now, he's good?

If we used a high second to draft a bad RT, that is a bust, IMO. Hell, if you draft a good RT in the second, it's a bust. It shows me the GM doesn't have the ability to scout line talent later in the draft.

I can see it now. We trade a 2nd+ for a broken, overpriced LT, then use our 1st to draft an OG. There is actually a legitimate possibility of that happening. :bobdole:

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

You opened up the can of worms early this morning.

Still way too early on Martin, but yeah, it's worrying.

As far as I'm concerned, if they make this desperate trade, it's not too early at all. Bust.

Wait, so now Martin was good at RT? Funny, in EVERY Long thread, I read about he was absolutely horrible there. The vitriol approached Colombo levels at times. But now, he's good?

If we used a high second to draft a bad RT, that is a bust, IMO. Hell, if you draft a good RT in the second, it's a bust. It shows me the GM doesn't have the ability to scout line talent later in the draft.

I can see it now. We trade a 2nd+ for a broken, overpriced LT, then use our 1st to draft an OG. There is actually a legitimate possibility of that happening. :bobdole:

No he wasn't a good RT, he looked silly at times. But I don't think after one year in the NFL you can label any player a bust. You may end being correct, but IMO it's far too early to even approach suggesting such a thing.

If he played RT in college and he looked like he did last year, I can see your point. The reality is he was playing a position last year for the 1st time, at the highest level possible. You may want to give him a little more time to prove you right, that is all I'm saying.

No he wasn't a good RT, he looked silly at times. But I don't think after one year in the NFL you can label any player a bust. You may end being correct, but IMO it's far too early to even approach suggesting such a thing.

If he played RT in college and he looked like he did last year, I can see your point. The reality is he was playing a position last year for the 1st time, at the highest level possible. You may want to give him a little more time to prove you right is all I'm saying.

Some people need a ton of time to judge a player. Years in fact. Hell, even then they'll try to convince you enter bust here "just needed more time." I expect 1st rounders of any position to start no matter what. I expect 2nd round RTs to start no matter what and perform adequately at least. I don't need years to make that assessment. If you draft a lineman that isn't capable of starting right away, it better be later in the draft, especially at RT.

If this trade goes through, it looks like Spesh was absolutely right about Ireland.

As far as I'm concerned, if they make this desperate trade, it's not too early at all. Bust.

There's definitely precedent for a tackle to struggle badly in his first year and then improve significantly.

More than anything, I think this would indicate that Jeff is in 'win now' mode. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I'll take it over the 'win never' mode we've been operating in since Wanny.

Martin stunk last year, the numbers show it. He was ok at run blocking and satan-awful at pass protection. However he showed flashes. I feel more comfortable with him at RT but not at LT. We need to trade up for Lane Johnson because I read an article that broke down the numbers and albeit Albert is an elite pass protector, he's as bad as Jerry in run blocking. To me we must trade up for Johnson and worry about the secondary in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

There's definitely precedent for a tackle to struggle badly in his first year and then improve significantly.

More than anything, I think this would indicate that Jeff is in 'win now' mode. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I'll take it over the 'win never' mode we've been operating in since Wanny.

If that was the case, there would be no reason to overpay in a crazy trade like this. If they make the trade, that tells me he hasn't shown them anything to indicate he's improved. If he had, it would be a 1 year deal for Winston or the like. This is a panic mode trade.

I can see it now. We trade a 2nd+ for a broken, overpriced LT, then use our 1st to draft an OG. There is actually a legitimate possibility of that happening. .

What a terrifying thing. And yet completely possible

Some people need a ton of time to judge a player. Years in fact. Hell, even then they'll try to convince you enter bust here "just needed more time." I expect 1st rounders of any position to start no matter what. I expect 2nd round RTs to start no matter what and perform adequately at least. I don't need years to make that assessment. If you draft a lineman that isn't capable of starting right away, it better be later in the draft, especially at RT.

If this trade goes through, it looks like Spesh was absolutely right about Ireland.

Again, if the trade goes down and he returns to the RT position, and he plays well I don't see how you can label that as a bust. Again, you and Spesh may turnout to be correct, but that hasn't happened yet.

Personally I hope the both of you are very wrong. :)

But if they make a trade and it's just for a third rounder, I would like a deal like that. Anything more it seems like Ireland would be over paying.

I think, and hope its all a smoke screen. Giving up a #2 and big money contract makes no sense. At this point I'd sign Winston take Milner if available or Rhodes in first and spend #2 on OT

I think, and hope its all a smoke screen. Giving up a #2 and big money contract makes no sense. At this point I'd sign Winston take Milner if available or Rhodes in first and spend #2 on OT

I don't think that this misdirection is effective at all unless you actually go out and sign somebody.

i.e., Last off-season I thought it was pretty obvious from the David Garrard signing that they were trying desperately (and clumsily) to throw cold water on the "Miami is definitely taking Ryan Tannehill at #8 overall" story as the Jaguars were actively and publicly informing other teams that they needed to trade up in front of Miami if they wanted a crack at RT. As much of a schmuck as Garrard turned out to be, I still think that move made sense not only to make it look like Jeff Ireland was going to draft cornfed again, but also if the plan was to only start Tannehill if he was clearly ready.

In this case, simply exploring the option kind of makes Miami look even more desperate.

Back
Top Bottom