Credible Financial Site Ranks Miami 2nd Worst-Run City In US | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Credible Financial Site Ranks Miami 2nd Worst-Run City In US

It's not hard to figure this stuff out. It's all over.

Miami: The Miami metropolitan area grew 11 percent between 2000 and 2010 according to the recently released census count. The population growth was from 5,008,000 in 2000 to 5,575,000 in 2010. This growth, only modestly above the national average, caused Miami to slip behind Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston, to become the nation’s 7th largest metropolitan area. The Miami metropolitan area was expanded after the 2000 census to include not only the core county of Miami-Dade, but also Broward (Fort Lauderdale) and Palm Beach (West Palm Beach) counties.

If Miami Metro means South Florida, it certainly includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties. There's a commuter rail system that connects the three counties...that's pretty much metro.

The Tri Rail is pretty much a transport system designed to get people through the Miami Metro area . . . from Rivieria Beach to Hialeah.

I hate it when people who have a problem with minorities disguise it as having a problem with the language. It's Miami! Little Cuba! You learn the language you ignoramous. Public schools in all of the country offer spanish speaking classes to english speakers. Do not be mad because you are too simple minded to understand another language. When I went to South Korea I attempted to learn the language and I only went for 2 weeks and still to this day I know how to say hello "anyong-haseo" and thank you "camsamida."

If you have a problem with people speaking spanish then educate yourself or move because hispanics have only just begun to boom in south florida and the United States. There are statistics that say hispanics will be the majority in the entire United States by 2050.

The history of the United States is based on immigration and adaptation. It seems like some of you just don't know.

So now I have a problem with Hispanics because I'm being forced to learn another language yet I'm supposed to take solace in the fact that I walk into the largest store in the U.S. (Walmart) in one of the biggest cities in the U.S. (Miami-Dade) and I can't get assistance because the door greeter doesn't speak a lick of English? What's wrong with that picture? I have no problem with Hispanics being a "majority" in 2050 . . . I do think if the U.S. is going to allow entrance of any immigrant, whether Cuban, Haitian, Japanese to become U.S. citizens, there should be regulations on them learning atleast some type of English and certainly shouldn't be allowed to have jobs (legit jobs) if they are "too ignorant" to learn enough English to get by.

It's a joke if you think I have a problem with Hispanic people though, in fact, I have a weakness for latina women . . . and I've almost lost my relationship with my wife twice over them. Those are some bad bitches and I've had my fair share of them in my teens and 20's. I have friends from the DR, PR, Cuba, Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Brazil, Haiti, Jamaica, Guyana, Trinidad, Mexico . . . and we do club nights, house parties for boxing matches, dominos night, etc. I do not dislike any culture, I'm not that shallow to use heritage to determine if I associate with a person . . . however that doesn't mean what goes on in Miami is right and I stand by it wholeheartedly.

And I know enough Spanish, French and German to "get by" . . . so don't call people simpleminded because they live in a country who's national language is English and they don't learn full blown Spanish because of the way Miami is . . . that is nuts, and its the mindset of many ignorant Hispanics down in Miami. The sad part is, when I have done this vendor work in Miami, there are times when a 12 year old child can't even understand wtf I am saying in English. How on earth are these kids in school when they don't even comprehend English? But I guess you are cool with that because "It's Miami".

The Tri Rail is pretty much a transport system designed to get people through the Miami Metro area . . . from Rivieria Beach to Hialeah.

The tri-rail...boy have did I have some adventures on that thing to and from late Fins games :lol:

After reading all of these posts I am reminded how much I appreciate where I live now... I grew up in Miami and was devastated when my parents made the decision to move to ft myers because they didnt want to raise a family in Miami anymore, I remember it like it was yesterday (we moved a week before Hurricane Andrew) After living in ft myers for about 10 years I moved out to California where I live now and as many fond memories I have of Miami I also thank my parents decision to get our family out of there when they did. Between the violence and living in fear, (like when our pop warner team took a buss to a game in carol city and we broke down at 9pm), lack of skilled jobs, rude people, and lack of skilled jobs I couldnt imagine wear I would be today. Everyone I talk to nowadays out in Cali talk about all the glitz and glam they see regarding Miami and I tell them that for the most part that is South Beach and not Miami as a whole. I wont lie though I seriously miss some good Cuban food and made it a point to stop a few times last year when I was down to get my fill. I actually got in a fight at some so called puerto rican restaurant out here that had a cuban sandwich on the menu and I asked them about their Cuban bread and they said there is no such thing as Cuban bread its just a normal sourdough...

Your lack of logic is insulting and belittling. You compare the struggle of a Hispanic who cant speak English but is trying to do his job to the struggle of an English speaker who is hearing someone speak improperly or in Spanish and is bothered. One is an actual struggle to adapt the other is a willing ignorance to adapt.

It's saddening and disturbing.

No matter how many adverbs you want to throw into your discussion to mimic what I say, you aren't right. We're all in this together. You're viewing this situation from a biased perspective. How many people are unable to get jobs because they only speak english? Trust me, it's quite a lot. So why is it they should be displaced because someone cannot be bothered to learn a new language? I'm currently at a disadvantage living in Toronto and not speaking French. I was at a disadvantage when I lived and "worked" in Holland. I didn't speak Dutch. No, I wasn't there for TWO WHOLE WEEKS, but I somehow adapted to the culture. I knew going in I had a higher degree of difficulty than those who live there, but that was my sacrifice to make. See my earlier example concerning my brother in law and his parents. They moved over here and took night classes to speak English because they wanted to make a living.

So why is it the person who moves here speaking a different language has any different right than that of someone who already lived here? They don't. We're all equal in that regard, so it seems only logical you'd speak the adopted language of the society you're living. You're coming into this discussion with a conclusion already made. You're viewing the English speaker as some sort of plantation owner, upset that he has to say 5 words of spanish while getting his Porsche waxed.

When you move out of your parents house you'll actually understand what we're talking about. Don't lecture me on logic. My entire career is based on logic. If you bothered to read my earlier post in this thread, I was saying the exact same thing you were saying, except I put it in a much more eloquent phrasing.

What I'm saying is sit down and shut up. Sorry, I have very little tolerance for hypocrites who blindly call people racists. Words DO have power, and that word is near the top of the list.

Then again I'm trying to have a legitimate and genuine debate with someone who so eloquently said "Who cares about West Palm Beach? Only old people up there" so I may as well beat my head against a wall. Knowing the future of Miami is in your generation's hands does not really instill hope. It only makes me want to get my loved ones the **** outta there.

Can't deny the facts. People are blinded by the South Beach facad when Miami is truly run down and corrupt. Shady back room deals with politicians are the norm. Look at Marlins stadium, metro rail, tri rail.

Best example I can think of was in 2003 the Miami Dade school district purchased land for a new school worth tens of millions. This land was marked as swamp land and surveyors communicated that it would cost triple the amount of money to dredge and clear the land for construction. To no surprise the contract went to a political buddy, land was cleared and the school never built.

Look at the Elian Gonzales fiasco and how the then mayor Alex Penelz sided with the Cuban community instead of listening to the US government and Janet Reno. Notice how all the Cubans coming over with wet foot dry foot law go unreported now that the Miami herald and press is run by politicians with Cuban connections.

Throw in the fact that most non Spanish speakers cannot find work because they cannot communicate with half the population.

Unemployment is rampant across the city and most if not all government agencies in the city are broken down or corrupt.

Yeah, the whole Spanish/English thing is really what pushes a lot of people to Broward and Palm Beach. I went to school in Miami, but when I went outside the school it was always a huge shock to not be able to communicate with 50% of the people you met there at all. It's even worse now than it was in the past, many don't or won't ever learn English now. There are still a lot of places though where you don't experience that though, like Coconut Grove, but it's just a matter of time.

After reading all of these posts I am reminded how much I appreciate where I live now... I grew up in Miami and was devastated when my parents made the decision to move to ft myers because they didnt want to raise a family in Miami anymore, I remember it like it was yesterday (we moved a week before Hurricane Andrew) After living in ft myers for about 10 years I moved out to California where I live now and as many fond memories I have of Miami I also thank my parents decision to get our family out of there when they did. Between the violence and living in fear, (like when our pop warner team took a buss to a game in carol city and we broke down at 9pm), lack of skilled jobs, rude people, and lack of skilled jobs I couldnt imagine wear I would be today. Everyone I talk to nowadays out in Cali talk about all the glitz and glam they see regarding Miami and I tell them that for the most part that is South Beach and not Miami as a whole. I wont lie though I seriously miss some good Cuban food and made it a point to stop a few times last year when I was down to get my fill. I actually got in a fight at some so called puerto rican restaurant out here that had a cuban sandwich on the menu and I asked them about their Cuban bread and they said there is no such thing as Cuban bread its just a normal sourdough...

As a native South Floridian, I echo your sentiments. Miami/Ft Lauderdale is a great place to visit, but you really do not want to live here. I will be leaving south Florida soon, and I am counting down the days.
IMHO, the influx of immigration did not improve the area over the years. It increased crime, neighborhood blight, and the building boom used every square inch of open land.
The "we are taking over" mentality is very prevalent here. It really illustrates the reason Miami has declined. I really don't understand that kind of comment because Miami and Cuba before Castro were close neighbors. Hispanics were always a part of South Florida.
The difference now is that most are too lazy or ignorant to speak English. I speak some spanish and I have dated some fine Cuban, Mexican, Colombian, and Panamanian women in my 20-30's...in the 70's and 80's...and they all spoke perfect English as well as Spanish. I was accepted into their families and sat at their dinner tables.
As a kid, we could drive to the beach and park on the sand, now you are lucky to get a glimpse of the ocean between condo towers...
It is not the same. The beauty is for the most part gone, and the arrogant attitude "calling everyone a racist who disagrees" is not isolated to few.
My .02

It's not hard to figure this stuff out. It's all over.

So...when Orlando FL population eclipses the "Miami Metro Area" then everyone will be living in the "Orlando Metro Area"??
It makes just as much sense.
IMHO..the "South Florida Metro Area" is a better way to describe the area.

Google sez cane and dog are right but i never considered Boward county as part of Miami metro area either.

Google sez cane and dog are right but i never considered Boward county as part of Miami metro area either.

It's crazy because length wise, Jupiter to Homstead is probably a longer stretch of Metro area than anywhere else in the country. However, the metro area only takes up the eastern parts of the 3 counties because of the Everglades, so it really isn't that big when you compare the overall square mileage of the area to other big metro areas.

But when you are from South Florida, we tend to be very seperated and many people from Broward consider once you cross that "Welcome to Miami-Dade county" line, you are in Miami and once you see that welcome to "Palm Beach county" sign, you are in Palm Beach.

That's a uniquely Miami thing. I live in the only state where whites are the minority. Even with that, no one expects you to be bilingual, despite the fact that a large portion of the people speak Spanish as a primary language. You get paid more for the same job if you are bilingual, but very rarely do you get disqualified from a job because of it. Although I find you pick up the language the more you are around it. I wouldn't call myself fluent by any stretch of the imagination, but I know and understand enough Spanish that I can get my meaning across to in the language...

Back
Top Bottom