Day 1 Dolphins Press Conference/Miami turned down trades in 1st | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Day 1 Dolphins Press Conference/Miami turned down trades in 1st

Gase doesn't make the pics. I don't know why people keep thinking this. Grier makes the pic after ok with with t-bum. Anyhow, this pick is silly. Just bad drafting all around. You don't take a one dimentional player who won't be on the field much in the the first round. In a LOADED draft with much better prospects all around and a team with D holes at every position and you turn down 3 pics for a situational pass rusher who's big production was 8 sacks his senior year and can't stop the run and NEVER WILL!!!

Oh t-bum. Just go back to hustling sports shakes. I don't care if Foster or anyone else was there or not, this is just not how you draft and the team WILL pay for this as Harris is a guaranteed NFL bust!! Malik Mcdowell will be the second pic, just watch. Another nfl bust.

Nickel package is on the field almost 70% of the time which means the opposing team is throwing the ball which means Harris will be on the field more than Hayes in which Harris will be rushing the QB. Personally I would have rather traded down to get more picks and get Willis but to say Harris won't be on the field much is just not correct.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

We have to make the best of it now (he won't even start)...still, I had the empty, "I want a mulligan" feeling I had when we drafted Ginn.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

It would have come out sooner or later by the teams who offered. I would love to know what we turned down.

Who's to say Harris won't start? If the opposing team comes out throwing Harris instead of Hayes will be out there. The combo of Wake and Harris sounds good to me.

Nickel package is on the field almost 70% of the time which means the opposing team is throwing the ball which means Harris will be on the field more than Hayes in which Harris will be rushing the QB. Personally I would have rather traded down to get more picks and get Willis but to say Harris won't be on the field much is just not correct.

This is false. Defensive packages match up according to personnel, not down and distance. Just because we're in nickel doesn't mean it's a passing situation.

I just want to be clear. I have no regrets for the Harris pick. I like him as a player. But Miami needs picks in rounds 2 and 3 because there is really good depth at all the positions Miami needs so Miami IMO should have made the trade down. They could have picked Willis is just as good if not better than Harris because of size and his ability to play the pass and run. Then they could have gotten an extra 3 to help fill some holes.

This is false. Defensive packages match up according to personnel, not down and distance. Just because we're in nickel doesn't mean it's a passing situation.

I agree but packages dictate what the offense is wanting to do. This is a throwing league. Pass rushers are more important than run stoppers. Personally I would rather have traded down and picked a DE that could do both like Willis.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

I would assume the trade partners were probably Dallas & maybe Niners.

I've read Seattle, Atlanta, and New Orleans. So I guess it will eventually come out who the teams were.

Willis is so overrated on this board its ridiculous if he didn't have those combine times no one would even mention his name in the late 1st. He is nowhere close to Harris as a pass rusher either.

I just want to be clear. I have no regrets for the Harris pick. I like him as a player. But Miami needs picks in rounds 2 and 3 because there is really good depth at all the positions Miami needs so Miami IMO should have made the trade down. They could have picked Willis is just as good if not better than Harris because of size and his ability to play the pass and run. Then they could have gotten an extra 3 to help fill some holes.

Yeah, I hear you. I would've loved to have gained an extra 3rd by moving back a few spots last night. But obviously our FO was all in on getting Charles Harris at 22. He clearly was a guy they really wanted at 22.

Honestly, I wish Grier didn't even mention he had 2 offers to move down, I just think that would have been the right move.

... And yes we don't know the offers but you can use Seattle an approximate.

Except based on the interview, the Dolphins never even heard the offers, they were too busy running the card up to the front. That's a huge mistake. You don't even entertain any offers. Makes me feel like it's amateur hour in the front office.

Once again not disagreeing but most of time if an offense is showing a passing package then Harris will be on the field

If I'm the opposition and I can get you into nickel on 3&4, with Harris at RDE, and Alonso behind him at Will . . . I know exactly how I'm going to get my 5-6 yards.

If I'm the opposition and I can get you into nickel on 3&4, with Harris at RDE, and Alonso behind him at Will . . . I know exactly how I'm going to get my 5-6 yards.

I get it. It's a cat and mouse situation. Ideally it's good to have a DE that can stay on the field. Perhaps Harris will grow into that. He's not even played a game yet. Let's give the coaching staff some time to work with him. I hope he becomes a great player.

I know they claim they liked Harris....and to a point i do....but this team has hole, several, and lack ammo to fill them all after a HORRENDOUS Carroo trade last year. We had the chance to rectify it, become more flexible in our drafting, and play the numbers game (more picks, more chances to hit) but we didn't even discuss it. To me, that's a serious fail. You can't make decisions with blinders. You exhaust all options. If you aren't going to consider all options, you might as well set it on autodraft and go home for the day.....let the computer pick.

I would have traded down. There were DEs still on the board, as well as OG and DBs. There's nothing about Harris physically that screams elite (well except his spin move) or incredible must have value at 22. Some real nice tape, some average tape, pass rusher only (some good moves and burst at time, not always), part-time player at least early in career because he is terrible against the run.

If anything, i was seriously thinking they should trade up for Allen once he dropped to 16-17. I just don't have a clue what his medical is. But him next to Suh? Man.....

Last edited by a moderator:
So if Atlanta offered Seattle a 3rd and 7th to move up (and a swap of 1st), you have to assume they offered Miami more since Miami was 5 picks ahead of Seattle.

I would have been OK with it. I don't think Harris is the type of guy that was a MUST HAVE. I think it was a solid pick but if Miami was able to get a few more picks and only move down a few spots, it was a no-brainer. I think Atlanta would have drafted Harris had they been in Miami's spot.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

So we had a chance to rectify the Carroo trade debacle and accrue more draft capital, but skipped the chance for a late-down situational defender . . .

Ouch.

You act like Harris will be that during his entire career, which is just not true.

Back
Top Bottom