Day 1 Dolphins Press Conference/Miami turned down trades in 1st | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Day 1 Dolphins Press Conference/Miami turned down trades in 1st

Crazy to think that we could've gotten Foster or Lamp and another 3rd. Big whiff.

What many of you don't seem to grasp is that trading is an OPTION. You use that option if your draft target isn't there OR you are sure that you can get them later.

The entire Dolphins front office had Harris targeted which I assume he was someone they ALL did a fair amount of research on.

You don't trade out of the first round when your main target of the entire draft is sitting there staring you in the face! This is the guy you did the most research on and are most sure of vs having extra picks and sifting amongst a group where your certainty drops off a huge cliff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What many of you don't seem to grasp is that trading is an OPTION. You use that option if your draft target isn't there OR you are sure that you can get them later.

The entire Dolphins front office had Harris targeted which I assume he was someone they ALL did a fair amount of research on.

You don't trade out of the first round when your main target of the entire draft is sitting there staring you in the face! This is the guy you did the most research on and are most sure of vs having extra picks and sifting amongst a group where your certainty drops off a huge cliff.

Exactly. The trade down crowd seem to forget if we went down to pick 31 (Atlanta) we would have missed every DE prospect on the board which we clearly targeted. Every team from pick 21 and down needed more DE players.

I agree with that philosophy, but they better be right.

Yes there are things that can't be coached up, he's on the small side and does not appear to be strong at the point of attack or explosive. His measurable only further prove this point. Slow 40 time (4.82), poor 3 cone (7.47), Below average vertical jump and bench press. All that and he is undersized. I've mentioned it in previous threads but Bill Polian said he would never take him in the first round, too small and not explosive enough.

The bulk of his highlights are from 3 games against poor OLs. Against the better teams on their schedule he was completely neutralized.

When looking for a comparison, tough to find a succesful one. Terrell Suggs was 15 pounds heavier and slotted to be a 3-4 OLB.
When you put it this way it sounds like the guy shouldn't have been drafted until the 9th round.

No brainer: should have grabbed Lamp and the brainfarted Caroo 3rd. But then again, it's our front office brainiacs :idk: Anyone who thinks that TBum is gonna magically morph into something he never was - or that Grier will now start to evaluate players more effectively than he has Dallas Thomas, Will Davis, Michael Egnew and Joanie Martin among many others, is living in a fantasy world!

I agree with that philosophy, but they better be right.

I'd suspect that all the hard work/man hours the scouts and front office put in....that the bulk of it is evaluating the first round pick target(s).

They are human just like us...nobody can/will interrogate every single prospect.

Tossing out all of your research on your main prospect/target to gain a couple extra picks in later rounds where the certainty is less reliable just isn't smart drafting.

In the past, I have said that I want an organization to identify the players they really feel good about and go get them. I didn't want them to settle if they believe a guy is special. So... obviously this is a guy they have had a lot of time to evaluate. He was one of their top players at a position of need. It would be hypocritical of me to complain now. I am going to take the wait and see approach on this one and hope they made the right choice.

Tossing out all of your research on your main prospect/target to gain a couple extra picks in later rounds where the certainty is less reliable just isn't smart drafting.

Quite the contrary, tunnel vision is your enemy. Not being prepared for the fluidity of the draft and being open to their numerous possibilities is what can stunt an organization. I sure hope to hell we have in-depth analysis on more than just a few prospects that are targets so you're not tossing anything away. In fact, I know we do and it's closer to 250 different player profiles.

Would have been savvy to recoup some of the picks we **** away to acquire Caroo as well.

No brainer: should have grabbed Lamp and the brainfarted Caroo 3rd. But then again, it's our front office brainiacs :idk: Anyone who thinks that TBum is gonna magically morph into something he never was - or that Grier will now start to evaluate players more effectively than he has Dallas Thomas, Will Davis, Michael Egnew and Joanie Martin among many others, is living in a fantasy world!

Ppl on here really believed eggnog was going to be good lol

Quite the contrary, tunnel vision is your enemy. Not being prepared for the fluidity of the draft and being open to their numerous possibilities is what can stunt an organization. I sure hope to hell we have in-depth analysis on more than just a few prospects that are targets so you're not tossing anything away. In fact, I know we do and it's closer to 250 different player profiles.

Would have been savvy to recoup some of the picks we **** away to acquire Caroo as well.

In-depth analysis, sure but I'd think you'd go deeper than that for those you have targeted.

Teams do target certain players all the time and I'd doubt that every single prospect does not get the same attention. For example, a 5th round prospect wouldn't get near the workup/research as much as a 1st round prospect.

In-depth analysis, sure but I'd think you'd go deeper than that for those you have targeted.

Teams do target certain players all the time and I'd doubt that every single prospect does not get the same attention. For example, a 5th round prospect wouldn't get near the workup/research as much as a 1st round prospect.

You couldn't be more wrong there. Sorry pal. They all have extensive reports. You need in-depth references for hits, misses, future free agents, etc.

[TWEET]858090628420337664[/TWEET]

That's what I thought.

You couldn't be more wrong there. Sorry pal. They all have extensive reports. You need in-depth references for hits, misses, future free agents, etc.

I think you couldn't be more wrong. Some of these prospects are not even on a team's board.

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say the reports were not extensive. I'm saying that for the prospects who are targeted; even more research goes into vetting that group.

I think you couldn't be more wrong. Some of these prospects are not even on a team's board.

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say the reports were not extensive. I'm saying that for the prospects who are targeted; even more research goes into vetting that group.

These were your words:

For example, a 5th round prospect wouldn't get near the workup/research as much as a 1st round prospect.

First off grading by round is a waste. When scouts go out in Sept, Oct. to watch and study players they have no idea who will be declaring or there in April so there is no round designation, it's a grading scale.

There's also no assurance that your top rated guy(s) will actually turn out to be a solid starter and maybe that 4th or 5th round pick was. You need extensive analysis on all draftees (and UDFA) to reference how or why you may have hit or missed on a player to learn from and/or correct future mistakes. IOW, a low graded player and even UFDA's all have very in-depth and very similar reports as a highly graded player. There's is (or shouldn't) be any bias or discrepancies b/w these analysis b/c you never know who will truly shine or work out in another 2-3 years time.

Back
Top Bottom