Did the light go on for Harris last night? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the light go on for Harris last night?

I don't know that that's the case personally. You think scheme would offset our lb situation if we lost kiko or Timmons with what we have in house? Hell no it wouldnt.

I do think the scheme taxes the lb level though more than it could or should.

And I find it odd that Miami seems hell bent on 2 strong safety types as it's starting safeties. Signing tj McDonald to starter money extension says as much unless they have a lb package plan for him.

Why isn't there room for a center fielder type safety? Of the in house options Maurice smith probably fits that role the best.

We've already lost one starter in McMillan so of course it would further bury the LB corp losing Timmons as well.

An Under front would help hide our MLB issues.

I told you during the draft process Charlton doesn't have any business being in the first round, Mckinley has surprised with his production as far as pressure goes but I'm not sold on him either, Tyrus Bowser has impressed another athletic player we could of had.

Why would we even entertain 2 point stance players when we don't ask our edges to play standing up or the strong side backer to rush on the edge in the sub?

If you don't understand that much than its real hard for me to listen to you ask for a different scheme when the players you ask for couldn't help us in the one we are in to begin with. Tak and bowser are ideal 2 point stance players miamis all 3 and 4 point edges which makes us in the taco or Willis or yes Charles Harris buy market. The 43 des

Why would we even entertain 2 point stance players when we don't ask our edges to play standing up or the strong side backer to rush on the edge in the sub?

If you don't understand that much than its real hard for me to listen to you ask for a different scheme when the players you ask for couldn't help us in the one we are in to begin with. Tak and bowser are ideal 2 point stance players miamis all 3 and 4 point edges which makes us in the taco or Willis or yes Charles Harris buy market. The 43 des

How is this statement not completely contradictory?

We'd entertain standing edge defenders if we had a different scheme. And if we acquired them why would we remain in the current one?

I don't think changing our scheme suddenly would fix everything, but it would help, like Sons has talked about. We need more talent. and it seems to me like this "SS x2" type thing we have been doing has been here awhile... recently just back to Delmas then IAQ. Even Allen isn't quite a true fs....

I basically yearn to have seattle's defense... good players and a good scheme, but dont we all want that. Add in a true MLB (hopefully raekwon can be), a true, centerfielding FS, and then some more pieces, pass rusher, sam, dt, and we would be in business for the future

The whole damn league wants a Seattle defense. It's been a top 5 unit forever. Carried the damn team even the last what half decade? And what happened when earl Thomas went down? It got torched.

You got a better chance at a top 10 qb than you do a half decade long run of top 5 defense in the free agency era

You are talking about once a decade if that type run and in seattles case I'd guess even longer.

Im talking about Bowser as a strong side LB, I never mentioned anything about him as a DE. I never lobbied to draft Mckinley.

The whole damn league wants a Seattle defense. It's been a top 5 unit forever. Carried the damn team even the last what half decade? And what happened when earl Thomas went down? It got torched.

You got a better chance at a top 10 qb than you do a half decade long run of top 5 defense in the free agency era

You are talking about once a decade if that type run and in seattles case I'd guess even longer.

We had more than a half a decade of being an elite defense and we never even sniffed a good qb during that time period.

Hey man, I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit ago... just sayin' what we run isn't the best scheme in the world and could improve things just changing it up a bit like sons talks about all the time

We had more than a half a decade of being an elite defense and we never even sniffed a good qb during that time period.

When was that? If you say during the zach thomas and Jason Taylor years I may fall out this chair. This teams had more hype than substance on d.

That Seattle defense didn't just talk the talk it walked the walk. Still does when all hands are on deck.

It wasn't the elite top unit they are with him but saying they got torched is a stretch. You're not going to find anything near another premier FS like Thomas but that late in the season plugging Steven Terrell isn't a viable answer either.

You can still run Seattle's scheme with effectiveness w/o an elite FS. Granted you'd need a good one.

Im talking about Bowser as a strong side LB, I never mentioned anything about him as a DE. I never lobbied to draft Mckinley.

So you telling me you knew that Miami was going to be the only team in the league that leaves its strong side backer on the field in the nickel/sub and doesn't rush him on the edge in the sub vs tackles pre draft? Because unless you saw bowser as the 2 down strong and nickel/sub lb which breaks from usage wise the entire league in this scheme the value there for Miami would have been 2 downs.

Miami even prior to this year left the mike and the weakside backer in the 43 in the field in the nickel sub. That is the normal use. So if you drafted bowser under the old or norm use of off the los lbs he would have been a 2 down player. Which isn't great value draft pick wise.

Furthermore you would have wasted his pure edge rush explosion tools. Not polish cause he is not polished but edge raw tools. Tools which get heightened in a 2 point stance as an on the los lb in a 34.

Yeesh it's 230 I'm out.

When was that? If you say during the zach thomas and Jason Taylor years I may fall out this chair. This teams had more hype than substance on d.

That Seattle defense didn't just talk the talk it walked the walk. Still does when all hands are on deck.

More Hype than substance
1998 Dolphins defense ranked 3rd in total defense
1999 dolphins ranked 5th in total defense and 5th passing defense
2000 dolphins ranked 6th in total defense and 5th passing defense
2001 dolphins ranked 5th in total defense and 1 in passing defense
2002 dolphins ranked 3rd in total defense and 5th in rushing defense
2003 dolphins ranked 10 in total defense
2004 dolphins ranked 8 in total defense and 2nd in passing defense
2005 dolphins ranked 18th in total defense

If hype produces these type of results - 1998 to 2004 than I will spend every waking moment hyping this team up. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady worst games came against the Dolphins during this time period.

Whats amazing is the fact our defense ranked 26th in 1997 and we moved all the way up to 3rd in 1998, that has to be one of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history.

Jordan Willis has put up most of his production vs backups, but he abused Eric Fisher - blew right by him - on a play where he would have had a sack if the DT's got any push. Has sacks from both the left and right this preseason, but the key thing with Willis: he's a FREAK athlete and a hard worker. Even if the tables were turned and it was Harris, rather than Willis, getting off to the fast start, Willis would have the brighter future, because his burst and agility are what you dream of in a pass rusher. Willis also uses his hands much better than Harris.

Willis is going to be a double-digit sack guy in the near future. The NFL ****ed up. It happens. When you get the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, who was extremely productive despite being asked to read the tackle on base downs, and he's a freak athlete (among DE's: 98th percentile for 40, 95th for vert, 93rd for broad, 95th for 3-cone), he's probably going to be pretty good.

I still don't know why Willis fell. He had elite measurables and production in a passing conference. He has kind of a lumbering first few steps, unlike Harris, so maybe they thought he'd get swallowed up. But his hand work and strength to turn a speed rush into a bull rush is impressive.

Back
Top Bottom