Do you think the Miami Hurricanes can beat the 2011 Miami Dolphins? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you think the Miami Hurricanes can beat the 2011 Miami Dolphins?

Even the '95 Canes gave them a run for their money...Or was it '94 that we played them in the orange bowl?

The 2001 Canes are the best college team ever..No team is beating them...Too much talent..Too much chemistry.

As for this years Canes beating the Phins?

I dont think so... The Phins would run all over them..Matt Moore would have all day in the pocket.

We played Nebraska in 1994. Almost beat them that year. Then in 1995 the beat the immortal hell out of Florida in one of the most lopsided title games you'll ever see.

And Matt Moore would give us flashbacks of Dan Marino throwing for about 8 touchdowns on that pathetic Hurricane secondary.

The only real great college teams I've really debated was the 2001 Miami Hurricanes v. 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers.

And I don't think Nebraska would stand a chance. Miami has historically kicked the **** out of Nebraska's pathetic Option offense. It doesn't matter how bad the Miami Hurricanes are in any given year, you won't find many teams with more speed at skill positions. Miami teams are some of the fastest in the country every single year.

I'm confident that the 2001 team would shut down Tommy Frazier.

I don't know about always... Tom Osborne gave away a title to Miami when all he had to do was kick the extra point. Miami didn't stop Nebraska's option that day in the Orange Bowl.

There's never been an option QB like Tommie Frazier though, Turner Gill couldn't hold a candle to Frazier running that option. Everytime busts like Mike Rumph or Phillip Buchanan would've been required to be the force player against that option run by Frazier, it'd result in 6 points for the Huskers IMO.

Only in the minds of Canes fans is the 2001 team the best of all time.

Yep. I heard all that south Florida trash talk nonsense in '92. Except what actually happened was, that Bama team did annihilate the undefeated, and defending national championship Hurricanes 34-13 in the Sugar Bowl.

The Hurricanes came in with their Heisman Trophy winning quarterback and running their mouth, but left New Orleans beat to a pulp and quiet as a gentle breeze.

I remember the first televised game in the history of Bryant-Denny Stadium was a 30-0 beatdown of the Canes... that was back when we used to have them for homecoming fodder.

Thanks for the dramazitation. I thought we were talking about the 2001 hurricane team. Anyway, not trying to derail this thread into a pissing contest about bama vs canes teams but that 1992 alabama team makes a certain point about pro vs college teams.

Alabama that year had one of the most dominant college dlines in a while. Eric Curry and Copeland were both top 10 picks and both had very unremarkable pro careers. My point being is you cant look at a college teams line being dominant and then assuming that those players would be able to play in the pros. The same with assuming that this LSU line could handle pro lines and give the current day dolphins a tough time.

How many of LSUs offensive lineman get drafted. And if they do get drafted how many actually can compete on a pro level. Les Miles even with his wacky plays couldnt move the ball against a pro defense.

I don't know about always... Tom Osborne gave away a title to Miami when all he had to do was kick the extra point. Miami didn't stop Nebraska's option that day in the Orange Bowl.

There's never been an option QB like Tommie Frazier though, Turner Gill couldn't hold a candle to Frazier running that option. Everytime busts like Mike Rumph or Phillip Buchanan would've been required to be the force player against that option run by Frazier, it'd result in 6 points for the Huskers IMO.

Only in the minds of Canes fans is the 2001 team the best of all time.

actually thats not true. look up any list of greatest college teams ever and that miami team is always toward the top of the list. only in the minds of bama fans is their latest teams as good as that 2001 canes team cause i have never heard it from any place else

that canes team had 6 players taken in the first 35 picks including 4 probowlers and a hall of famer. those players were great in college and the pros. they dominated college football that year and many players continued into the professional ranks.

gimmick college teams who produce draft busts....meh your cane hate is showing

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the dramazitation. I thought we were talking about the 2001 hurricane team. Anyway, not trying to derail this thread into a pissing contest about bama vs canes teams but that 1992 alabama team makes a certain point about pro vs college teams.

Alabama that year had one of the most dominant college dlines in a while. Eric Curry and Copeland were both top 10 picks and both had very unremarkable pro careers. My point being is you cant look at a college teams line being dominant and then assuming that those players would be able to play in the pros. The same with assuming that this LSU line could handle pro lines and give the current day dolphins a tough time.

How many of LSUs offensive lineman get drafted. And if they do get drafted how many actually can compete on a pro level. Les Miles even with his wacky plays couldnt move the ball against a pro defense.

A lot of times it has nothing to do with talent, but rather how individuals react to the money involved and work ethic that determines their fate in the profession. Many of the least talented guys on their respective college teams that couldn't even start have gone on to have outstanding careers as professionals, while the most talented bust time and time and time again.

The Philadelphia Eagles defense can't even tackle, nor play gap control defense with this "Wide 9" formation. I believe Les Miles could move the ball on their defense and several others. The "Wide-9" would turn into "Quick-6", the Mad Hatter wouldn't need any trick plays. What they're doing on defense in Philly is a lot more gimmicky than anything Les has ever done at LSU.

He runs mainly 21 personnel on offense.... that's as "pro style" as it gets.

actually thats not true. look up any list of greatest college teams ever and that miami team is always toward the top of the list. only in the minds of bama fans is their latest teams as good as that 2001 canes team cause i have never heard it from any place else

that canes team had 6 players taken in the first 35 picks including 4 probowlers and a hall of famer. those players were great in college and the pros. they dominated college football that year and many players continued into the professional ranks.

gimmick college teams who produce draft busts....meh your cane hate is showing

I wouldn't call it hate son.... the Crimson Tide is the Muhammad Ali of college football, the Hurricanes are Michael Spinks. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for an Alabama guy to begin with, Miami wouldn't even have a football team, don't ever forget that. Howard Schnellenberger saved that program and built it, he learned how to do it in Tuscaloosa.

I think you tried to make this thread a pissing contest between Bama and the Canes, but quickly realized you can't piss nearly as far as you thought.

This ain't Florida St. or Virginia Tech you're screwing around with here....

I wouldn't call it hate son.... the Crimson Tide is the Muhammad Ali of college football, the Hurricanes are Michael Spinks. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for an Alabama guy to begin with, Miami wouldn't even have a football team, don't ever forget that. Howard Schnellenberger saved that program and built it, he learned how to do it in Tuscaloosa.

I think you tried to make this thread a pissing contest between Bama and the Canes, but quickly realized you can't piss nearly as far as you thought.

This ain't Florida St. or Virginia Tech you're screwing around with here....

No ones disputing the history of Alabama football. I didnt even think we were talking about it. You brought up how all these recent bama teams could beat the 2001 canes teams and than brought up the 1992 team as if it had relevance to the point you were making. You also said that only canes fans think that 2001 team was the considered the best of all time which is completely untrue. Many people who dont have a bias think the same thing. The thread was about the current day dolphins against the current day college teams. You came in with all the alabama stuff with your big bama sig so how can one not conclude that you came in with a certain bias and agenda.

As Jcane said, its a shame because i generally enjoy your posts regarding draft prospects and the intricacies of the game. Anyway im done with this but next time leave the alabama glasses at home

Let's break it down this way....

The 2001 Canes allowed an average of 9.75 points per game, while scoring an average of 42.6 points per game. They faced 5 ranked opponents that year, and none ranked in the top 10 until Nebraska in the title game. Keep in mind that Nebraska team they beat up on didn't even win it's own conference.

The 2009 Alabama team went 14-0 while allowing 14 points per game, and scoring an average of 32 points per game. The only reason the defense allowed that many points is because the starters were typically out of the game after halftime of blowout wins.

Bama faced 6 ranked opponents that year, and 4 of them were ranked in the top 10. They faced the undefeated #1 and #2 teams in the country back to back in the Florida Gators in the SEC Title Game, and the Longhorns in the National Title game (the first time that's ever happened). Bama beat both those teams by an average of 17.5 points. The Longhorns had the "#1" ranked rushing defense in the entire country. Both Alabama's running backs ran for over 100 yards a piece against them.

The 1992 Alabama defense is the best there's ever been, anybody that was around to watch it knows that. They allowed 9.3 points per game, while the offense scored an average of 28 points per game. They faced 4 ranked opponents that season, including the #1 ranked and undefeated Miami Hurricanes and the Heisman Trophy winner in the Sugar Bowl for the National Title. They beat that Miami team 34-13 without Bama's quarterback even having to pass for more than 50 yards.

The 2001 Miami team was a great team, but they're not the best team of all time, or even the best team I've ever seen. I watched 'em play too.

We'll obviously never know who would win that game, but I know this..... they'd have to do a lot more than run their mouth to get the best of either one of these Bama squads. The "other" best Canes team of all time found that out proper in the Superdome in January of 1993.

Alabama History> Canes History
Canes Best Team Ever > Bama best team ever

Look it up...2001 canes team considered best college team ever

/thread

Alabama History> Canes History
Canes Best Team Ever > Bama best team ever

Look it up...2001 canes team considered best college team ever

/thread

Look it up where? I'm going to have to see somebody who's been watching college football longer than 15 minutes vouche for the 2001 Miami Hurricanes as the best team ever.

You damn sure don't want to compare Miami to some of Bear's Alabama teams of the 60's and 70's.

Look it up where? I'm going to have to see somebody who's been watching college football longer than 15 minutes vouche for the 2001 Miami Hurricanes as the best team ever.

You damn sure don't want to compare Miami to some of Bear's Alabama teams of the 60's and 70's.

Look at all the lists online many websites have one. Even espn has one and in all the ones I saw UM 2001 is ranked higher than any BAMA team.

I guess I looked it up, I found several different lists of the top 10 teams of all time compiled by several different sources. I've seen the 2001 Miami team ranked anywhere from #1 to #5. Some of them have the '95 Huskers as the best team, some have John McKay's '71 USC team #1, some have the early 70's Nebraska team as the #1.... you get the point.

It's a matter of opinion depending on who's list it is, but I doubt anybody compiling those lists actually watched all of these teams play. They're basically just using points for and points against like I did, except they're not factoring in the level of competition they all faced. I tried to do that in order to provide better perspective, although it works for Bear's '61 Bama team too.

Back
Top Bottom