Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald

and if tj role wise is insurance for reshad jones well then you probably shouldn't be paying reshad jones $35 mil guaranteed...when you drop that coin on a player you are buying in on health and level of play all the way...not making contingency arrangements...

and I love reshad jones so it's not a dislike for him thing by any means...it's kinda like that kiko contract you have bought full in on the player

seattle didn't plunk a ton of coin in it's 2 safeties and then have plan b high level options behind them at either...because they bought full in to the players and the depth options are pretty much afterthoughts in terms of the values they place in them...that's how most teams go about it...and yeah when you play those depth options it can be ugly kinda like what earl Thomas replacement played like in the postseason which was Rambo level ugly

From a sub standpoint, I think McDonald can do anything you should ask Michael Thomas to do (no man coverage on slot WR's please), and he'd be a significant upgrade to Thomas in most aspects.

If this was anything more than a 1-year, vet-min contract, I'd agree with your concerns, but I'm not overly concerned with fit given the talent vs the price. I said it before, but I'm not a huge fan of the player, but he's an above-average starter, and he brings some thump. For the peanuts he'll be making in Miami, I'll take that every time.

From a sub standpoint, I think McDonald can do anything you should ask Michael Thomas to do (no man coverage on slot WR's please), and he'd be a significant upgrade to Thomas in most aspects.

If this was anything more than a 1-year, vet-min contract, I'd agree with your concerns, but I'm not overly concerned with fit given the talent vs the price. I said it before, but I'm not a huge fan of the player, but he's an above-average starter, and he brings some thump. For the peanuts he'll be making in Miami, I'll take that every time.

so you think at 26 he signed to be the 3rd safety over Michael Thomas which I agree he's a better option than minus the slot stuff which Thomas can't carry coverage anyways with frankly...well if he did he must have some serious skeletons in his closet...I guess when you need to get off a coast that qualifies

This isn't unlike the Culliver signing last offseason. But cheaper. Hopefully it works out, but again vet-min for a guy who was a top #30 FA is a no brainer low risk high reward proposition.

The big difference was Culliver was injured....this dude just needs to do the str8 and narrow. Hopefully he's not stupid

Is it weird that everytime the Dolphins sign a new player I go right to Madden to see what they are rated?

* FYI he's a 77.

Not at all lol Hayes is rated better or the same as Quinn lol 83 overall I believe hahaha

I'm good with this for vet min, if he plays well and stays out of South Beach, he could see a fair deal next offseason to stay.

:lol:

The 16 other teams on our schedule for '17 hope so too. Weren't you just talking about logic a few posts ago?

You don't think Reshad Jones could play FS in our scheme with the talent and ball skills he's shown over the years? I never said it's what we should do, only something we could do if necessary because of his talent. This defense is going to teach you a lot about football this year, especially Andre Branch when he's racking up those sacks. But you somehow thought the trade with Philly was awful and Gase was a fraud because he isn't all about defense like you, so I'm not exactly sure where your logic stands lol.

This actually makes plenty of sense. The guy is only 27 years old. IF he proves to be good those last 8 games we get first dibs on resigning him long term.

Now we have someone who'll play 8 games on defense
and someone who'll hopefully play 8 games on offense :)

Is he playing SS or FS?

If he's playing SS...where does leave Jones?

If he's playing FS...his knock in college and the pros is that he hits but can't cover.

Will he be a hybrid LB?

Great signing. All of these nay sayers are missing the point entirely.

Consider this, Reshad Jones has played with a different safety partner every year. What does IAQ have in common with Louis Delmas? Injuries derailing their careers.

Last year we lost both starting safeties for the year and played bad players back there.

This is a high quality player who will probably play somewhere between 8 and 12 games this year (if we can get that suspension lowered) and we are signing him for peanuts. This is one of those type deals that usually only the Patriots can make ... yet some Dolphins fans still want to comain. Wow.

Gamble? No, not for the veteran minimum it isn't!

This is the Andre Branch contract paying dividends. Branch signed a 1 year prove it deal last year, and we overpaid him this year because he was productive. Seeing that, McDonald is signing a 1 year prove it deal. We got lucky, but I'll take it.

Honestly, the McDonald and Hayes deals are steals. We need to make those deals 10 times out of 10.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This make sense. If we sign a few more strong safeties we can go with our revolutionary 0-0-11 all strong safety defense. We'd get killed at the line of scrimmage but there'd be big hits everywhere.

EDIT: we're paying too much money to Suh to sit, so maybe a 1-0-10 defense.

Consider this, Reshad Jones has played with a different safety partner every year. What does IAQ have in common with Louis Delmas? Injuries derailing their careers.

Last year we lost both starting safeties for the year and played bad players back there.

This is a high quality player who will probably play somewhere between 8 and 12 games this year (if we can get that suspension lowered) and we are signing him for peanuts. This is one of those type deals that usually only the Patriots can make ... yet some Dolphins fans still want to comain. Wow.

This is the Andre Branch contract paying dividends. Branch signed a 1 year prove it deal last year, and we overpaid him this year because he was productive. Seeing that, McDonald is signing a 1 year prove it deal. We got lucky, but I'll take it.

Honestly, the McDonald and Hayes deals are steals. We need to make those deals 10 times out of 10.

Yes for real, people must have been really upset last year when when we got a quality safety in IAQ because, "In Detroit he played SS behind Ihedibo" lol. Sometimes, you have to look beyond a players position and look at the talent like we did with IAQ last year. Our FO is a lot smarter than many want to give it credit for lol.

McDonald is an experienced starting safety with decent skills who will be fresh the 2nd half of the season? He might be costing us close to vet minimum?

SIGN ME UP.

This is just an awesome post and pretty much shuts down all the garbage in this thread.

I swear.... The Dolphins could sign Aaron Rodgers to a reasonable deal and Dolphins fans will find some stupid reason to bitch about it. It's so ****ing annoying. How could you possibly find anything to complain about in this deal? It's one year and a small amount of money for a 26 year old who can flat out ball. The guy made a mistake and he seems like the type who has the "prove it" personality. Confident he will do so.

Back
Top Bottom