Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald

Is this a 1 year deal then for sure? The vet minimum was what we were rumored to have signed him to. Reports are now saying that's false. I wouldn't mind a 2 year deal for TJ.

I think it might be as backup to Jones. Dont ask me to make sense out of some monies were paying/guarantees.

We have no one behind/besides Jones though? Aikens and Thomas (rfa) are really just speical team players. I guess Thomas backs up McCain unless we draft a nickel corner which I hope is in the cards.
I read a recent article (sorry I forget where) and the gist of it was that some of the unofficial "negotiating rules" have progressively changed. If a team really wants to sign a player, then they have had to deliver more guaranteed dollars. It's not just in Miami, it's happened with a number of other teams across the NFL. The key negotiating point has been the guaranteed amounts.

This guys a thumper...good player!

Son of 49'er great Tim McDonald....great low risk gamble and depth move for the second half of the season.

I don't think it eliminates safety from our draft board.

If a 1 year deal and he's suspended for 8 games is the team on the hook for those 8 games? I think they would owe the guaranteed portion and then the rest would be prorated right?

You don't think Reshad Jones could play FS in our scheme with the talent and ball skills he's shown over the years? I never said it's what we should do, only something we could do if necessary because of his talent. This defense is going to teach you a lot about football this year . . .

Nope. Show me any tape that would dispute that.

And :sidelol: I can't wait.

For all the knocking of Jeff Fisher at the Rams. Over a long period of time, his teams invariably had pretty solid Defenses. Yes, the Offenses were really bad, but he invariably knew what he was doing with the Defenses and drafted pretty well. Think back to that wet game against the Rams last season where Tannehill with help from Landry and Parker only pulled out the win in the final minutes. Up until then, LA's Defense held us all game. This win by Miami turned out to be one of the last nails in Fisher's coffin. It is interesting to note that with changes in the new LA Rams regime and 70 year old Wade Phillips coming in with a new system, Miami is now the beneficiary of 2 solid former Rams in William Hayes and now TJ McDonald. Both have the reputation of being mean, tough competitors. I like this signing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the signing, although I wish there was more clarity on if he can appeal the 8-game suspension or not. He can participate in training camp, but can't practice with the team once the season starts. 8 weeks without practice might make it difficult for him to make an impact those final 8 (or more) games.

I like the signing, although I wish there was more clarity on if he can appeal the 8-game suspension or not. He can participate in training camp, but can't practice with the team once the season starts. 8 weeks without practice might make it difficult for him to make an impact those final 8 (or more) games.

That's a good point. Will he stay in shape on his own? How fast can he get in football shape? Will it take him 2 games or 4? No doubt there're some questions there. It's not realistic to expect him to step in on week 9 as a starter and make a big difference. Time will tell.

Ozzy rules!!

What I like about this situation is we have depth at safety this year. Think about this though, Allan and T.J are going to be playing on a team that rewards their good players they intend to keep. Allan is going to be playing his heart out to establish himself at the beginning of the season and T.J. is going to be there down the road as an established thumper at league minimum. Next season will not be so cheap.

Where is this stated?

Joe Schad‏Verified account @schadjoe 3h3 hours ago

- No. There is no appeal pending. It’s 8 games for T.J. McDonald. #Dolphins

Joe Schad‏Verified account @schadjoe

- It’s 8 games. That’s it. No more appeals.

I really wanted a FS in the 1st or 2nd round, alot of high potential guys. not sure that will happen any more.

With this interchangeable safety garbage, all the opposition has to do is run the ball with a smidgen of success (which they will vs our fronts attacking philosophy) and our defense is shot to ****.

As soon as we rock one of these safeties to the box, it takes our CBs press coverage off the table b/c we don't a a FS with range to cover from the MOF, and opens up a whole 'nother can of worms in secondary issues.

What is your prediction for the season? No bull**** either please.

Back
Top Bottom