Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald

My only issue is that it's 1 year instead of tying up a stud safety like this for at least a second and maybe a 3rd, even if above league minimum$. Otherwise it's a great signing and will give Tannenbaum credit as deserved for this one.

Gets even better if an appeal results in a reduction to 4 games. :up:

wow not a bad pickup at all, he just needs to clean himself up now.

Can't afford to pay 2 SS types. Unless they really want interchangeable safeties and play both

I bet he plays FS and if he plays that good are new style is keeping are own. Just saying don't let the 1 year deal scare people it doesn't mean he's one and done in Miami.

well it helps the bpa crowd I guess

of course its gonna be a long 8 weeks if nate allen is out there butchering the position

very very strange stuff here

Not really that strange to me. A good player at a position of need was available at the minimum salary due to an unfortunate circumstance and we pulled the trigger. If he shows his worth and looks like he may well be the long term solution, they'll sign him to a significant contract after the season. There is really no lose here, and if you draft a safety, then the onus isn't on you to re-sign him.

Yessir, you said brother!! Rambo was shockingly bad. I thought he was a pretty decent player in college and the pros but he was lost in a Fin uniform. The Fins are rolling with Nate Allen, they paid him and they're starting him. T.J. fell into our lap for cheap and he becomes excellent depth the minute the suspension is lifted. It would be nice of Roger to give him a break on the length of the suspension. TJ will push for playing time very quickly when he's able to get on the field. This is a good safe move that will pay dividends down the road.

Brilliant signing. Helps fill a huge hole we would have needed to draft, our safety's suck as a group. This front office is seriously impressing me this off-season, I think we will be competitive with NE after the draft.

wow not a bad pickup at all, he just needs to clean himself up now.

Clean his self up? The guy went through the court system, completed a 3 month alcohol program, spent a month living in a residential drug treatment center, made restitution, completed 18 NA classes, performed 200 hours of community service, relocated across the country primarily for a change of environment, and he's been working on completing his 3 year probation with no signs of any issue. Not to mention, everything out of this guys mouth is exactly what you want to hear:

“I need to be open and honest about everything and make sure this doesn’t happen in the future. That goes without saying. I don’t have any wiggle room. My back is against the wall.”

How much more does this guy have to do to be "cleaned up" from a single mishap?

I think what you meant to say was, hopefully he stays out of trouble.

My only issue is that it's 1 year instead of tying up a stud safety like this for at least a second and maybe a 3rd, even if above league minimum$. Otherwise it's a great signing and will give Tannenbaum credit as deserved for this one.

Gets even better if an appeal results in a reduction to 4 games. :up:

He probably didn't want to sign for more than one year at what anybody would have offered him. I imagine McDonald thinks he is better off playing those 8 games in a prove it scenario and singing a lucrative offer next off-season.

Not really that strange to me. A good player at a position of need was available at the minimum salary due to an unfortunate circumstance and we pulled the trigger. If he shows his worth and looks like he may well be the long term solution, they'll sign him to a significant contract after the season. There is really no lose here, and if you draft a safety, then the onus isn't on you to re-sign him.

comes across to me like the nate allen signing was a rush move and they now feel they need a mulligan

$3.4 mil fully guaranteed glad it's not my money

If anything this makes the dire need we had at safety a little less dire.

You still take a FS in the draft if the opportunity is there, but with as many needs as we have, this gives us a little more flexibility.

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 58m58 minutes ago
More
T.J. McDonald signed a one year contract but Dolphins view it as a "one-day contract." He screws up one day, he's gone.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Adam Beasley‏Verified account @AdamHBeasley 45m45 minutes ago
More
McDonald said he made assurances to the Dolphins that his past behavior would not be repeated but words "only mean so much." Has to prove it

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

More
More McDonald: "I've got to be hungry, stay clean. Make sure this doesn't happen again. ... I don't have any wiggle room."

More
More McDonald: "I'm definitely paying a price for the mistakes I've made. I'm definitely going to learn from it."

This is a damn great signing for that price. He provides depth just in case Jones or Allen get hurt, and he can probably reduce that suspension by filing an appeal. Anyone who questions this signing is blind.

Back
Top Bottom