Dolphins meet with Pat White | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins meet with Pat White

With Pat White in the fold, it would allow Sparano to go deeper into the Wildcat playbook than ever before. Not only with White as the QB but also as the Stealer. It just offers us more versatilty from various formations.

One of the things that made the wildcat work is the element of suprise. Ronnie was a high school QB, so he can throw . . . yea that throw against the Jets sucked, but he can throw still. Ronnie gave you a power runner who could run it up the gut if need be, take it outside if need be . . . and teams had to play it neutral because he is also the starting TB.

With White, that element is gone . . . first off, he is a situational player so teams will keep a spy on him when he enters . . . he is not an every down player like Ronnie and Ricky.

To me, we aren't that good to merit drafting him within the first 4 rounds as a situational player. Unless he becomes our slot WR, which no offense to White . . . he doesn't beat out Bess or Camarillo for that position.
I think you are forgetting that the Dolphins used a lot of players in different situations so bringing in White will not eliminate the surprise element, especially if Pennington is still on the field. White could line up at either the outside receiver or the slot receiver. He could be the Stealer with a better run-pass option than Ricky. The versatility White offers makes him an attractive, and explosive, option for an offense in need of explosiveness.

lot of fun to speculate on potential & possibilities
if he were to enter the fold I believe we would pull the trigger on Beck for more draft choices

Having a "QB" specifically for the wildcat takes away what actually makes it successful. The wildcat works because it's difficult for a team to adjust to what they see in the huddle before the play. The wildcat looks like any typical formation until after the huddle. If they see White come into the game, it takes away that aspect. They know it's either going to be the wildcat, a hand off, or a horrible pass. Simple to defend against, stack the line. You need a real QB in there to make it work. I'd rather use the 5th or 6th pick on developmental rather than gimmick players.

I am a HUGE Louisville football fan. I have dreaded playing WVU for 4 years strictly because of this guy. Pat White is all that and a bag of chips. Wildcat Super Hero. This kid can run. Would love to nab this guy in a later round.

Im a USF fan and i too saw Pat White alot. The kid is a gamer. How can anyone not want him.

Having a "QB" specifically for the wildcat takes away what actually makes it successful. The wildcat works because it's difficult for a team to adjust to what they see in the huddle before the play. The wildcat looks like any typical formation until after the huddle. If they see White come into the game, it takes away that aspect. They know it's either going to be the wildcat, a hand off, or a horrible pass. Simple to defend against, stack the line. You need a real QB in there to make it work. I'd rather use the 5th or 6th pick on developmental rather than gimmick players.
Pat White is a real QB. Just as the North Carolina Tar Heels about that. He completed over 80% of his passes for over 300 yards in the bowl game against them.

BTW, Pat White just ran the 40 in 4.5 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat White is a real QB. Just as the North Carolina Tar Heels about that. He completed over 80% of his passes for over 300 yards in the bowl game against them.
Which is why he's falling to the 4th round or later and being touted as a gimmick player, right? Both stats from one game are career highs, by the way, not an average game. The guy has limited arm strength, poor accuracy, and serious fumblitis (which makes the "replace Beck with White" statements funny). Could be a decent WR prospect, but will need a lot of work and won't make an immediate impact until he develops into one, even in gimmick plays, which would only be dangerous if he can sell himself as a dangerous receiving threat.

BTW, Pat White just ran the 40 in 4.5 seconds.
Awesome, now he just needs to develop his routes and learn how to hold onto the ball and he'll make one hell of a third or fourth WR.

The whole point of bringing white into the wildcat is teams will be sceptical to stack the line when he can pass with more effectiveness than ronnie brown.

The whole point of bringing white into the wildcat is teams will be sceptical to stack the line when he can pass with more effectiveness than ronnie brown.
That's debatable. Not to mention, the threat of RB passing is a minor aspect of the formation. You don't draft for one small possibility in a formation that is ran less than 5% of the time.

Which is why he's falling to the 4th round or later and being touted as a gimmick player, right? Both stats from one game are career highs, by the way, not an average game. The guy has limited arm strength, poor accuracy, and serious fumblitis (which makes the "replace Beck with White" statements funny). Could be a decent WR prospect, but will need a lot of work and won't make an immediate impact until he develops into one, even in gimmick plays, which would only be dangerous if he can sell himself as a dangerous receiving threat.
Only those who think the Wildcat is a gimmicky offense thinks Pat White is a gimmicky player.

The poor accuracy and fumbles is accurate but not the arm strength. West Virginia's run first spread offense didn't offer White many opportunities to show off his arm, not to mention his receivers were not all that consistent.

I am neither for nor against the drafting of Pat White but I am keeping an open mind to the possibility of it happening.

Pat White = Kordell Stewert
Pat White = Antwaan Randle-El

Pat White = versatility on offense.
Every year there is a gimmicky player like this, and every year they fall in the draft and do nothing in the NFL, despite tons of dedicated threads on here to their "versatility." About the only versatility they brought was that the opposing team never new when they might be called up from the practice squad and thrown in for a trick play as the 4th WR. Randle-El is one rare exception. If we can turn him into that, great, but I doubt it. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in with a 6th, highest.

Back
Top Bottom