Dorail Green-Beckham | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dorail Green-Beckham

He's quite a big risk at #14. I'd go another direction there. If Miami is looking for someone to improve the offense at #14 there should be other nice choices available such as Maxx Williams and maybe DaVante Parker. Todd Gurley, an injury risk, but maybe the best player in the draft should be there as well.

I do love DGB's talent. I think he has some elite traits, which can make up for the work he needs to do on route running, conditioning etc. I would jump at #47.

Did you guys even see Calvin in college? Seriously.. Its really not that close.

He's got a long way to be Calvin. DGB also doesn't use his size the way Calvin did, Calvin by his last year in college knew how to completely bully DBS with his size and muscle. Technically, Calvin was incredibly polished especially for a guy his size.

And I have DGB as a top 3 talent in this draft. Talent being the key word, technique wise, he's far away and his year Off probably didn't help him.

You have realize here, I'm not hating on DGB, but Calvin was a God.

I saw Calvin Johnson in college. I had Calvin as essentially the wide receiver equivalent of what everyone was saying about Andrew Luck a few years ago. I appreciated Calvin Johnson tremendously. I think that Dorial Green-Beckham's potential is pretty close to Calvin's, and Randy Moss before him. And no, that's not something you can say about a guy every year. Certainly not something I'd say about a guy every year.

If DGB stays out of trouble and has his head in the game then he's A.J. Green, at worst.

I saw Calvin Johnson in college. I had Calvin as essentially the wide receiver equivalent of what everyone was saying about Andrew Luck a few years ago. I appreciated Calvin Johnson tremendously. I think that Dorial Green-Beckham's potential is pretty close to Calvin's, and Randy Moss before him. And no, that's not something you can say about a guy every year. Certainly not something I'd say about a guy every year.

If DGB stays out of trouble and has his head in the game then he's A.J. Green, at worst.

He's my number one guy at 14!! I hope he falls to us and we roll the dice! :thumbup::

Calvin is the only prospect I've ever witnessed to have every category at least a 9/10, everyone agreed he would be great, one of the best ever even, and he actually came to the NFL and did that. Hence, why I say he's probably the best draft prospect ever.

I'm not putting DGB in that same category of player based on a few measurables. I completely agreeing he has great potential, but his potential is what Calvin already was coming out of college.

We have to remember here, natural talent like either of them have is 1 out of millions of people who walk this earth. The difference is Calvin loves football, wanted to see what his potential could be and worked to get there, does DGB have that in him?

I'm very intrigued by DGB at 14, and have assumed that after combine he would lock down a top 10 spot. But I think we all need to stop pretending that we know for sure he's on the straight and narrow, this is not a new story were seeing here.

I'm not pretending anything....obviously the team has to do due diligence.

I believe he was a kid who has straightened himself out. It amazes me how some come down so hard on a 18-20 year old who smokes some grass or makes a mistake or two.

I'm not pretending anything....obviously the team has to do due diligence.

I believe he was a kid who has straightened himself out. It amazes me how some come down so hard on a 18-20 year old who smokes some grass or makes a mistake or two.

No, you HOPE he straightened himself out, but like the rest of us, you have no clue, and neither do I, so let's all stop pretending. Blackmon pulled the same exact trick not long ago.

As for giving kids chances, I'm extremely lenient on these guys when it comes to "character issues." But you start talking about a guy carrying drug dealing type of weight, and throwing girlfriends down stairs, I'm not gonna dismiss that because he stayed out of jail for 12 months.

No, you HOPE he straightened himself out, but like the rest of us, you have no clue, and neither do I, so let's all stop pretending. Blackmon pulled the same exact trick not long ago.

As for giving kids chances, I'm extremely lenient on these guys when it comes to "character issues." But you start talking about a guy carrying drug dealing type of weight, and throwing girlfriends down stairs, I'm not gonna dismiss that because he stayed out of jail for 12 months.

Definitely agree with this…but at the same time you are hoping in various aspects with every single player you draft. Players bust every year that people thought would have success…just like players every year get into trouble off the field. So for teams looking at DGB the question is at what point is it actually too much of a risk to pass on his talent.

Calvin is the only prospect I've ever witnessed to have every category at least a 9/10, everyone agreed he would be great, one of the best ever even, and he actually came to the NFL and did that. Hence, why I say he's probably the best draft prospect ever.

I'm not putting DGB in that same category of player based on a few measurables. I completely agreeing he has great potential, but his potential is what Calvin already was coming out of college.

We have to remember here, natural talent like either of them have is 1 out of millions of people who walk this earth. The difference is Calvin loves football, wanted to see what his potential could be and worked to get there, does DGB have that in him?

I'm very intrigued by DGB at 14, and have assumed that after combine he would lock down a top 10 spot. But I think we all need to stop pretending that we know for sure he's on the straight and narrow, this is not a new story were seeing here.

Football is pretty much all DGB has and I'm not sure I've seen his work ethic actively questioned. Gary Pinkel sure was quick to phone his friend Bob Stoops, personally vouch for Dorial, and facilitate a transfer to Oklahoma. Those around the Mizzou program never caught any whiff of Dorial being a sloucher with respect to work ethic or desire to be great. Like many young players (the last time we saw him play football he was just a redshirt freshman) he wasn't completely grasping the mental or technical details yet. That's hardly new of guys who were at high school prom 18 months ago. But those that know his background, I don't think they question that football is all he has and so he's pretty committed to it.

When his girlfriend (whom he'd just dragged out of her apartment by the arm and neck because he caught her cheating on him with a teammate) texted her roommate that night to try and get her roommate not to call the cops or press charges on DGB, that was the explanation that kept coming up in her texts. Football is all he has. It's interesting to me because here is a girl who is clearly mad at him for what he did, probably does NOT believe she will continue to have any connection with Dorial going forward due in part to her philandering and in part to his horrifying reaction to it, but she still felt sorry for the guy. She recognized football is the only good thing he has going in his life and she wanted to help him protect that, despite everything.

Why? Well, the background gives us clues. This is a kid with an incredibly tragic tale. Mother was a crack addict. She OD'd on a drug ****tail while she was 6 months pregnant and at the hospital they pronounced her baby Dorial dead in the womb. Somehow he survived, she carried him to term, and gave birth to him only to have he and his brothers living out of the back of a van with their crack-addicted mother and the men she cycled in and out of her life (any of whom could have been Dorial's father, because nobody knows who that was including her). He and his closest brother Darren go through the foster system, at one point land in a home for physically and sexually abused children, eventually land with a foster couple on a farm. The father (from Coral Gables, big Dolphins fan, played at The U and is still close friends with Al Del Greco) is a football coach. But then the foster mother develops thyroid cancer, childrens services take Dorial and Darren away to place them in the care of blood relatives, split up Darren and Dorial (causing 10 pounds of weight loss each from sheer depression), and the Beckhams had to press on Missouri politicians through connections to get the two kids back in their care and officially adopt them, which they did even though the mother was being treated for thyroid cancer. But then in 2011, Darren is diagnosed with leukemia and has to go live at All Children's Hospital. The father took a leave of absence from work and lived with him while Dorial prepared to be the most coveted football recruit in the country (which he was, Phil Steele said he was the best wide receiver recruit he'd seen since Randy Moss).

Doesn't excuse what Dorial did the night he found out his girl was cheating on him with a teammate. Nothing excuses that. But what I take away from the story is that of the four closest people in his life, two are cancer survivors, one is a football coach and a veritable saint, and the other (an older, adopted brother) played for Army, has finished his service, and has been living with Dorial in Oklahoma to help him stay driven.

Talk to scouts about Dorial Green-Beckham and they don't see someone like Josh Gordon who essentially needs marijuana to function because of some untreated mental health issues. They see a kid that goes with the flow, does what the cool kids do with respect to the marijuana history. Got busted with some other kids for having a little bit of pot on him, then got busted again for being in the presence of a friend who was carrying a pound of weed. Probably has some drug test failures in his time at Missouri.

They see a kid that needed structure and the right crowd around him at Missouri, but didn't really get that. But he did get it at Oklahoma, and he's been both a model worker and model citizen there. He only left for the Draft early because his offensive coordinator with whom he developed a close relationship Jay Norvell left the program.

What I see is a receiver that is probably the most purely physically gifted that I've seen since Calvin Johnson, up there with A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, with the pure potential to exceed them. I also see a kid that has a surprisingly good (considering his origins) support structure around him between his Army brother who is willing to live with him and take an active role keeping him on the straight and narrow, his adoptive parents, and his cancer surviving younger brother.

So I'm looking at all this from an asset valuation standpoint. Taking him is a risk. But every draft pick is fraught with risk. Much of the risk of those picks is tied up in the risk that the player just isn't all that good. I'm not sure that's much of a risk with Dorial Green-Beckham. Some would compare him to a Mike Williams (USC) and I think that's fair because they have/had the same body, much of the same athletic movement, some of the same issues. But Dorial is purely faster and that counts for something. You see enough corners and safeties that you KNOW have 4.50 speed, look absolutely flabberghasted at how to handle Dorial Green-Beckham's speed, well that's why we're making Calvin Johnson comparisons I think.

And it's not just fans saying that. There are a lot of scouts making the exact same statements about he and Calvin Johnson or he and Randy Moss. Albert Breer just had a piece yesterday where he's got quotes from several scouts saying exactly that.

The videos of this dude playing in high school are hilarious. He looks like a 27 year old uncle playing with his 6 year old nephews

Football is pretty much all DGB has and I'm not sure I've seen his work ethic actively questioned. Gary Pinkel sure was quick to phone his friend Bob Stoops, personally vouch for Dorial, and facilitate a transfer to Oklahoma. Those around the Mizzou program never caught any whiff of Dorial being a sloucher with respect to work ethic or desire to be great. Like many young players (the last time we saw him play football he was just a redshirt freshman) he wasn't completely grasping the mental or technical details yet. That's hardly new of guys who were at high school prom 18 months ago. But those that know his background, I don't think they question that football is all he has and so he's pretty committed to it.

When his girlfriend (whom he'd just dragged out of her apartment by the arm and neck because he caught her cheating on him with a teammate) texted her roommate that night to try and get her roommate not to call the cops or press charges on DGB, that was the explanation that kept coming up in her texts. Football is all he has. It's interesting to me because here is a girl who is clearly mad at him for what he did, probably does NOT believe she will continue to have any connection with Dorial going forward due in part to her philandering and in part to his horrifying reaction to it, but she still felt sorry for the guy. She recognized football is the only good thing he has going in his life and she wanted to help him protect that, despite everything.

Why? Well, the background gives us clues. This is a kid with an incredibly tragic tale. Mother was a crack addict. She OD'd on a drug ****tail while she was 6 months pregnant and at the hospital they pronounced her baby Dorial dead in the womb. Somehow he survived, she carried him to term, and gave birth to him only to have he and his brothers living out of the back of a van with their crack-addicted mother and the men she cycled in and out of her life (any of whom could have been Dorial's father, because nobody knows who that was including her). He and his closest brother Darren go through the foster system, at one point land in a home for physically and sexually abused children, eventually land with a foster couple on a farm. The father (from Coral Gables, big Dolphins fan, played at The U and is still close friends with Al Del Greco) is a football coach. But then the foster mother develops thyroid cancer, childrens services take Dorial and Darren away to place them in the care of blood relatives, split up Darren and Dorial (causing 10 pounds of weight loss each from sheer depression), and the Beckhams had to press on Missouri politicians through connections to get the two kids back in their care and officially adopt them, which they did even though the mother was being treated for thyroid cancer. But then in 2011, Darren is diagnosed with leukemia and has to go live at All Children's Hospital. The father took a leave of absence from work and lived with him while Dorial prepared to be the most coveted football recruit in the country (which he was, Phil Steele said he was the best wide receiver recruit he'd seen since Randy Moss).

Doesn't excuse what Dorial did the night he found out his girl was cheating on him with a teammate. Nothing excuses that. But what I take away from the story is that of the four closest people in his life, two are cancer survivors, one is a football coach and a veritable saint, and the other (an older, adopted brother) played for Army, has finished his service, and has been living with Dorial in Oklahoma to help him stay driven.

Talk to scouts about Dorial Green-Beckham and they don't see someone like Josh Gordon who essentially needs marijuana to function because of some untreated mental health issues. They see a kid that goes with the flow, does what the cool kids do with respect to the marijuana history. Got busted with some other kids for having a little bit of pot on him, then got busted again for being in the presence of a friend who was carrying a pound of weed. Probably has some drug test failures in his time at Missouri.

They see a kid that needed structure and the right crowd around him at Missouri, but didn't really get that. But he did get it at Oklahoma, and he's been both a model worker and model citizen there. He only left for the Draft early because his offensive coordinator with whom he developed a close relationship Jay Norvell left the program.

What I see is a receiver that is probably the most purely physically gifted that I've seen since Calvin Johnson, up there with A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, with the pure potential to exceed them. I also see a kid that has a surprisingly good (considering his origins) support structure around him between his Army brother who is willing to live with him and take an active role keeping him on the straight and narrow, his adoptive parents, and his cancer surviving younger brother.

So I'm looking at all this from an asset valuation standpoint. Taking him is a risk. But every draft pick is fraught with risk. Much of the risk of those picks is tied up in the risk that the player just isn't all that good. I'm not sure that's much of a risk with Dorial Green-Beckham. Some would compare him to a Mike Williams (USC) and I think that's fair because they have/had the same body, much of the same athletic movement, some of the same issues. But Dorial is purely faster and that counts for something. You see enough corners and safeties that you KNOW have 4.50 speed, look absolutely flabberghasted at how to handle Dorial Green-Beckham's speed, well that's why we're making Calvin Johnson comparisons I think.

And it's not just fans saying that. There are a lot of scouts making the exact same statements about he and Calvin Johnson or he and Randy Moss. Albert Breer just had a piece yesterday where he's got quotes from several scouts saying exactly that.

Damn you're good.. Lol thanks for the update!

i still need to see him run... quickness, footwork, run good routes. i need to see his hands in the gauntlet.... he hasnt touched the field in a long long time.

i still need to see him run... quickness, footwork, run good routes. i need to see his hands in the gauntlet.... he hasnt touched the field in a long long time.

He was practicing at Oklahoma all year. So maybe we haven't seen him..but Im guessing the scouts have went and seen them practice.

He was practicing at Oklahoma all year. So maybe we haven't seen him..but Im guessing the scouts have went and seen them practice.

agreed..... i actually just wrote this (below) on another thread just stating a bit more on my thoughts.... but totally agree scouts been keeping an eye on him no doubt!!! problem is is that he hasnt been on the field in game speed... that stinks not seeing him with game film.

DGB: he hasnt been on the field for a very long time.... thats a huge worry on me too. when he played in Mizzou he wasnt a great route runner, didnt have great footwork, but we all know his height, speed possibility, athleticism and ability he offers (freak like).

now he was practicing with Oklahoma and there is all the HOPE on him maturing, and hopefully learning more intricacies to the WR position. otherwise lots of question marks right now

i need to see him run, see his quickness and footwork, in and out of breaks, catching the football from the gauntlet. the Combine is going to be important to display him possibly more than most of the other prospects in the draft.

DGB is on top of my very short Man Crush List followed very closely by Boise State RB Jay Ajayi.
Chubbs

DGB is on top of my very short Man Crush List followed very closely by Boise State RB Jay Ajayi.
Chubbs

I like Jay Ajayi a lot too... great stuff he offers with his running style and ability. Sadly he may be gone 2nd round

Back
Top Bottom