Draft two Quarterbacks. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft two Quarterbacks.

i have a feeling the dolphins are going for Herbert. We wont get Burrow, and I doubt we like Tua anymore.

I think the Fins are aiming for Herbert now.
I would not torch them until second or 3rd round of draft.Hebert,love or fromm. They all going need extra work to be good qb in nfl. Put at end of day if they are available I would take chance on one of them. Never know who will turn out to be great in NFL..

Last edited:
Flores is already in a unique position as a coach from a QB perspective. Most new coaches either come into a situation where they have an established QB on the roster or draft one they can develop in their first year. Flores has neither.

And now people are seriously considering waiting ANOTHER year for Flores to get his guy? I’ve honestly never heard of a coach waiting until Year 3 to draft their QB. Can anyone cite an example?

That’s just a ton of wasted time...

Flores is already in a unique position as a coach from a QB perspective. Most new coaches either come into a situation where they have an established QB on the roster or draft one they can develop in their first year. Flores has neither.

And now people are seriously considering waiting ANOTHER year for Flores to get his guy? I’ve honestly never heard of a coach waiting until Year 3 to draft their QB. Can anyone cite an example?

That’s just a ton of wasted time...
you cannot force drafting a qb. It no real qb coming out this yr. This team need more talent all over.

you cannot force drafting a qb. It no real qb coming out this yr. This team need more talent all over.

But seriously, how can a coach survive that long without getting a QB?

Can anyone cite a single example of a HC getting their handpicked franchise guy in Year 3?

If there isn’t a QB worth drafting this year, they need to figure out some trade then or go all in with Rosen, because a coach isn’t going to have 5 years to wait for a QB to come along, I don’t care how good they are.

If they wait until 2021, they are already 2 years behind most new coaching staffs. It gives them really no time to develop the player... he needs to come in and ball out immediately or they are toast.

Can anyone cite a single example of a HC getting their handpicked franchise guy in Year 3?

If there isn’t a QB worth drafting this year, they need to figure out some trade then or go all in with Rosen, because a coach isn’t going to have 5 years to wait for a QB to come along, I don’t care how good they are.

If they wait until 2021, they are already 2 years behind most new coaching staffs. It gives them really no time to develop the player... he needs to come in and ball out immediately or they are toast.

Unless you actually understand you have your Coach. Not you personally, but Davie.

But I agree with your overall point.

If the other QB prospects were any good, I’d draft them over Tua. To me, drafting Tua is a roll of the dice at this point. If he busts, he busts. Our recent first round hit rate is terrible any way, but at least you took a shot on greatness. And if he hits, well, that’s the salvation of the franchise and meaningful football for the next decade. I’ll take the gamble at this point. Keep drafting them until one hits.
If he busts, he busts? And you are spending a top pick on him?

I tell you what: if the Dolphins were that stupid and pick Tua with the first pick they have in the draft and he busts you will be the first one pissing on Grier what an idiot he is.

I can understand taking a shot at a healthy QB with your first draft pick but an unhealthy one with an unknown recovery time. :bobdole:

What you are proposing is not a shot at greatness but a shot in the dark. Nobody knows how Tua will turn out. If we pick him in the 2nd or 3rd round fine. Let's see if he can get healthy and can survive an NFL beating. Knowing that you are such a Tua lover I could understand if you would take a shot at him with our last 1st round pick (which most likely will be a low first rounder) though I wouldn't. But our first pick of the draft? Sorry, that is an obsession which goes against the greater good for the Miami Dolphins.

If he busts, he busts? And you are spending a top pick on him?

I tell you what: if the Dolphins were that stupid and pick Tua with the first pick they have in the draft and he busts you will be the first one pissing on Grier what an idiot he is.

I can understand taking a shot at a healthy QB with your first draft pick but an unhealthy one with an unknown recovery time. :bobdole:

What you are proposing is not a shot at greatness but a shot in the dark. Nobody knows how Tua will turn out. If we pick him in the 2nd or 3rd round fine. Let's see if he can get healthy and can survive an NFL beating. Knowing that you are such a Tua lover I could understand if you would take a shot at him with our last 1st round pick (which most likely will be a low first rounder) though I wouldn't. But our first pick of the draft? Sorry, that is an obsession which goes against the greater good for the Miami Dolphins.

Grier’s drafts have already sucked for years... I’d much rather him take a shot with a talent like Tua at the most important position than play it safe with a scrub like Charles Harris who adds nothing and just takes up space for a few years.

Yes, if he busts, he busts. I approach it from the perspective that whichever player they would have drafted with that pick would have busted anyway (considering the history) so it’s nothing really lost.

I agree w u but Flores was dealt bad hand. The last Gm didnt draft Qb.. they cut all good player. We just got wait and be patient..the best option next yr maybe to trade for a good qb.. if Carolina dont want thier starting qb. He may be good guy trade for. (Kyle Allen)

Unless you actually understand you have your Coach. Not you personally, but Davie.

But I agree with your overall point.

That’s a lot of patience for an owner to have in the NFL. That would probably mean Flores would have multiple losing seasons before drafting his QB to develop. A fan base and an owner can handle that for a year or 2, but by year 3 they will expect more. Not a great timeline for drafting their franchise QB.

I think the closest example I can think of was Whisenhunt with the Titans. His first year he started a mish mash of journeyman garbage QBs, went 2-14, then drafted Mariota only to get shitcanned midway through the season with a 1-6 record.

You think Ross and this fan base is going to sit patiently while Flores goes 5-11 for 3 straight years before shooting for playoffs in Year 4 with a 2nd year QB? Unlikely.

I honestly think they should still draft Tua with their first pick now that they will likely be picking outside of the Top 5. Got to take a shot on great. And then I’d draft Love or someone like that in round 2 or 3 as insurance. Let the the chips fall where they may.
All eyes will definitely be on Tua and how he returns from the hip injury.

I will say I'm more confident that this coaching staff can develop talent. Maybe its Herbert, Love or Hurts.

That said. if Tua is close to 100 percent I still think he is the target.

That’s a lot of patience for an owner to have in the NFL. That would probably mean Flores would have multiple losing seasons before drafting his QB to develop. A fan base and an owner can handle that for a year or 2, but by year 3 they will expect more. Not a great timeline for drafting their franchise QB.

I think the closest example I can think of was Whisenhunt with the Titans. His first year he started a mish mash of journeyman garbage QBs, went 2-14, then drafted Mariota only to get ****canned midway through the season with a 1-6 record.

You think Ross and this fan base is going to sit patiently while Flores goes 5-11 for 3 straight years before shooting for playoffs in Year 4 with a 2nd year QB? Unlikely.

Could also point to the Texans, who were carried by their defense ... until they hit and paid the price to protect their QB?

I agree with your point, overall. But certain franchises will ride it out, which makes them stable...good or bad.

If Fitzpatrick was Rosen. I would be happy w his play this yr. Would anyone feel comfortable w Rosen as starter next yr. I wouldn't as coach.

Last edited:
Could also point to the Texans, who were carried by their defense ... until they hit and paid the price to protect their QB?

I agree with your point, overall. But certain franchises will ride it out, which makes them stable...good or bad.

While there are some similarities, it’s ultimately a different situation. Bill O’Brien didn’t gut the roster when he came in. He had an established roster with some stars on defense to lean on to rack up some winning seasons in a bad division early on. He had 3 straight 9-7 seasons with journeymen QBs like Fitzpatrick, Keemun, Hoyer and Osweiler. Two of those seasons won the division. That bought him enough time to get around to drafting Watson.

Flores will have no such luxury. I just don’t see how he can survive what will likely be multiple losing seasons without a young QB for fans to get excited about for the future.

I would not torch them until second or 3rd round of draft.Hebert,love or fromm. They all going need extra work to be good qb in nfl. Put at end of day if they are available I would take chance on one of them. Never know who will turn out to be great in NFL..
Every QB needs a bunch a work coming in. Tom Brady wasn't "Tom" until after they won that second 'chip'

I agree w u but Flores was dealt bad hand. The last Gm didnt draft Qb.. they cut all good player. We just got wait and be patient..the best option next yr maybe to trade for a good qb.. if Carolina dont want thier starting qb. He may be good guy trade for. (Kyle Allen)
Kyle Allen is not putting butts in seats, imho.

Back
Top Bottom