Drafting Mallett Would Be A Huge Mistake....HUGE! | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting Mallett Would Be A Huge Mistake....HUGE!

I've already said what I would do.......

I would pass on a QB in the Draft totally.. I would find a veteran QB to compete with Henne...Who knows who will be dumped after the Draft because many teams will be looking for a QB this year. I also have said I do not see Henne as a major problem so you need to at least understand that even if you do not agree. (Let’s agree to disagree) I would Draft as early as I can 2 RB's, 1 TE, Guard, Speedy WR/return guy.....and BPA from that point on maybe the best ILB I can get to push for Channing's job...

Oh i get that you would pass on a young potential franchise quarterback. This thread is titled "Drafting Mallett Would Be A Huge Mistake".

I also get that you dont consider Henne a huge problem. You've made that very apparent. My stance is: how have we not seen this song and dance before? Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. You say we should magically bring in a competant veteran quarterback(do love how you just suggest it will happen, also love the line "who knows who will be dump" as justification for your prediction concerning the future of our team). We did that with Jay Fielder. Then, we did that with Brian Griese. And Gus Frerotte. And Joey Harrington. And Daunte' Culpepper. Then we went with the brilliant plan of drafting a young quarterback to be groomed behind a veteran. We drafted John Beck and traded for Trent Green. After that failed, we drafted Chad Henne and brought in Chad Pennington. Then Pat White. And even traded for Tyler Thigpen, another young quarterback that could enter the competition.

At what point do you say "ok, this just isn't working". Chad Henne will get a chance to start for us no matter what this season. This coaching staff has shown it will play (what they think) is the best player. That doesn't take into account the lockout preventing rookies from getting the time they would normally have. If Chad Henne turns it on, great! If he proves to be the second coming of Dan Marino, we ship off the rookie for a boatload of draft picks. Win win. But if he doesn't, we still have a potential franchise quarterback waiting and learning. I have no problem with our struggling for a single year if that means we will be in playoff contention for the following 9 years. I do have a problem with placing all our hopes on a quarterback that hasn't shown any significant growth in well over a year. Because we've been here before. Time and again. If our coaching staff cannot getting positive results from the quarterback position, they deserve to be fired. Its that simple.

We have a young, competative team. Dont let us waste that again.

It's simple. It's do or die for this FO. They will draft the player who they feel most confident that will have an immediate impact in the game and will help us win more games than last year. Forget about those long term projects, because at least Sparano, has 1 year to demonstrate he's worth the trouble.

Who is it going to be? I'm not sure, it may be Ingram, Mallet, Kaepernick but I'm sure that these guys will think about that when drafting.
So, IMO the best question is, who is able to make right away impact on this team. I would draft a QB, followed by DeAngello Williams in FA, but that's my opinion which really doesn't matter anyways, only FO matters.

Ok fine, so you still believe in Henne. It reminds me of the Fielder faithful who were convinced and kept hanging on to the belief that he could lead us to the promise land...year after failed year. The regime then gave away the farm for a runningback(Ricky Williams) instead of making QB a priority....and we all know how that worked out.

Some people never learn from history, and if you don't you are doomed to repeat it they say.

Wannstedt took Fletcher over Brees, Saban repeated it drafting Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers, Parcells repeated it drafting Long over Ryan. So here we are again, and some want a runningback or a guard over a QB?

The history we need to repeat was drafting a QB in round 1, Dan Marino and Bob Griese before him....two hall of famers.

This is a QB driven league, now more than ever.

Like I said, I am not so sure that Henne is not that QB yet. This year will help convince me one way or the other. But if we did things my way I still don't see the problem because this team needs more talent on offense regardless...

I do not equate Henne with Jay Fiedler..... I was NOT a Fielder supporter. They won despite him IMO. But Henne's is just still to young to throw away....especially with what all went wrong on offense last year.....

Do you Mallett supporters really believe Jeff and Tony (Especially after last season) would put their jobs on the line and draft a Rookie QB in round one to sit behind Henne...? Really????
NO.

I believe they will not draft a 1st rnd QB unless they are convinced that he can come in and compete for the starting spot at least at some point during the season.

Oh i get that you would pass on a young potential franchise quarterback. This thread is titled "Drafting Mallett Would Be A Huge Mistake".

I also get that you dont consider Henne a huge problem. You've made that very apparent. My stance is: how have we not seen this song and dance before? Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. You say we should magically bring in a competant veteran quarterback(do love how you just suggest it will happen, do love the line "who knows who will be dump" as justification for your prediction concerning the future of our team). We did that with Jay Fielder. Then, we did that with Brian Griese. And Gus Frerotte. And Joey Harrington. And Daunte' Culpepper. Then we went with the brilliant plan of drafting a young quarterback to be groomed behind a veteran. We drafted John Beck and traded for Trent Green. After that failed, we drafted Chad Henne and brought in Chad Pennington. Then Pat White. And even traded for Tyler Thigpen, another young quarterback that could enter the competition.

At what point do you say "ok, this just isn't working". Chad Henne will get a chance to start for us no matter what this season. This coaching staff has shown it will play (what they think) is the best player. That doesn't take into account the lockout preventing rookies from getting the time they would normally have. If Chad Henne turns it on, great! If he proves to be the second coming of Dan Marino, we ship off the rookie for a boatload of draft picks. Win win. But if he doesn't, we still have a potential franchise quarterback waiting and learning. I have no problem with our struggling for a single year if that means we will be in playoff contention for the following 9 years. I do have a problem with placing all our hopes on a quarterback that hasn't shown any significant growth in well over a year. Because we've been here before. Time and again. If our coaching staff cannot getting positive results from the quarterback position, they deserve to be fired. Its that simple.

We have a young, competative team. Dont let us waste that again.
Well until we can just dial 1-800-Franchize-QB I guess we just keep trying. But as for a QB we have drafted I do see Henne as the best one we’ve drafted since Marino...AND NO! I am not comparing him to Marino!!!!!!

I just don't think the "Henne Soup" has cooked long enough; it needs one more year of seasoning and the new Cook....
Many of you have YEARS of frustrations and fail to have the needed patience to let a management staff and our young developing players develop. I say Henne deserves more time. And I know I am not alone in that thought…

And he'd continue to be the bird in hand even if you take a QB at #15. If he deserves to start, he'll keep starting.
CK, I havn't been paying enough attention to enough threads to realize you have such dedicated haters.

Much respect !

Balance is the key, teams need to be able to do BOTH run and pass good.......Who are our RB's as of this day? Who do we have under contract? I see no GREATER need for this team than RB....I also would still bring back Ronnie Brown....

I personally feel Mr. Ross forced Jeff and Tony to CUT COST last year and that is why they decimated the interior line and duped Ronnie out of his bonus money.....

Tell the Jets and the Ravens and Steelers that this is not a running league anymore....

How far did they go last year?

All 3 of those teams drafted QBs in the first round and mendenhall is the only back drafted by all 3 combined in the first round

But as for a QB we have drafted I do see Henne as the best one we’ve drafted since Marino...

That right there proves the failure of your "wait and see, and build the rest of team" approach.

Mallett will only be drafted IMO unless we trade down. I think there is good chance of that. It would absolutely awesome if we could trade down with SD and then NO. Then take Mallett. That would work for me. I think RB's can be had in 2nd/3rd round or even later. Dalone Carter is a nice little sleeper IMO.

Name another QB Miami's drafted since Marino that is better than Henne.....

You are right, I can't. And that is precisely the problem of building the team without a QB, as evidence by the repeat failure of the Dolphins.

Mallett will only be drafted IMO unless we trade down. I think there is good chance of that. It would absolutely awesome if we could trade down with SD and then NO. Then take Mallett. That would work for me. I think RB's can be had in 2nd/3rd round or even later. Dalone Carter is a nice little sleeper IMO.

There is a reason why players are graded lower in the rounds......and the failure rate is higher the lower they are drafted. Some use a few examples from last year as some magical proof over the HISTORY OF THE GAME that shows lower round picks don't make it in the NFL....
If Ingram is there and we can't trade out he is the TOP #1 Rated RB in the draft. He played for Nick Saban. He is very smart and he is a pure RB. They can draft a scat back in the later rounds. Or if it were me I would try and trade for Reggie Bush....after the new CB agreement.

Well until we can just dial 1-800-Franchize-QB I guess we just keep trying. But as for a QB we have drafted I do see Henne as the best one we’ve drafted since Marino...AND NO! I am not comparing him to Marino!!!!!!

I just don't think the "Henne Soup" has cooked long enough; it needs one more year of seasoning and the new Cook....
Many of you have YEARS of frustrations and fail to have the needed patience to let a management staff and our young developing players develop. I say Henne deserves more time. And I know I am not alone in that thought…

If you wanna dial up a phone number, you have to first have the stones to pick up the phone. Saying Henne was the best quarterback among Pat White and John Beck is not a ringing endorsement.

I've stated it 3 posts now, so i'll try it from another direction and just ask you the question. You can even copy and paste part of my posts. What will happen to Chad Henne if we draft a quarterback? Will his "soup" go sour and never be tasted again? Will he be run out of town by rampaging mobs attempting to lynch him? Will he be thrown into a lake never to be spoken of again by polite society? Tied up and beaten? Shipped to Alaska?

And when did we throw away a coaching staff before they had a chance? We gave Wannstedt years and then he stepped down. Nick Saban quit on his own accord, our owner wanted him back. Cam Cameron was the only one, and that was because he managed to rack up years of incompetance into a single season. Are you advocating we should have kept Cameron and the Ginn family?
This coaching staff is entering year 4. Im not opposed to them staying, so long as they fix the position they declared they would 4 years ago. The best way to do that is bring in a young quarterback with huge upside.

You are right, I can't. And that is precisely the problem of building the team without a QB, as evidence by the repeat failure of the Dolphins.

Henne is not a failure, yet! He's a young QB who needs to be coached up.....we know what we have in him and we know what his needs are and we can all agree he has skills........he is not as bad as many claim.

Back
Top Bottom