Fins take Raekwon MacMillan with 54th Pick | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins take Raekwon MacMillan with 54th Pick

We needed an ILB, we got one....and he can learn from Timmons and Alonso. To those who wanted Cunningham, ya he's good at going all over the field but he cant tackle well at all...he tackles with his arms. He wont do well like that in the NFL.

We needed an ILB, we got one....and he can learn from Timmons and Alonso.

tenor.gif

i think Grier could probably sell me a bridge....

From miamidolphins.com

"This is a kid,"Grier said, "where everything (was) so far in terms of intangibles and character that once we met with him at the combine and I was at the pro day along with our area scout Ron Brockington and once you're around the kid, we were like, there's no point bringing him here, we're just wasting a visit."

Besides their own conversation with McMillan at the combine, the Dolphins also spoke with his head coach at Ohio State, Urban Meyer.

That only reinforced their belief in McMillan.

"When you talk to the coaches, Urban Meyer absolutely loves this guy," Grier said. "He says he's one of his favorite players he's ever coached."

Grier described McMillan as somebody everybody in the Dolphins' draft room wanted.

"Highly intelligent, we love his football intellect, loved talking with the kid," Grier said. "This guy really understands football. He's got leadership skills and he's a tackling machine. He's a big body in the middle, he can take on blocks. He's a good player. People want to talk about whether he could run or not. The guy ran 4.61 at 240-plus pounds. The guy can run. He's a good football player. It's a guy we feel very strongly about and we're really excited to have him here."

Sounds like a winner....

Dont like him.Hes not very athletic.

The biggest worries about athleticism are when it doesn't show up on tape. Such as a workout warrior at the combine but you don't see it translated to his game. Every football player is an athlete but not every athlete is a football player.

McMillan may not be a special athlete but he is absolutely a football player with elite instincts on the field that make up for any inadequacies or discrepancies on paper.

How much is the kid going to play over the next few years? We play 2 LBers most of the time and Alonso and Timmons are ahead of him.

I think they could have used a rangy FS like Melifonwu more than a 2 down LBer that isn't going to play in nickel packages.

The pick isn't bad by any stretch of the means, but I think there were better options out there.

How much is the kid going to play over the next few years? We play 2 LBers most of the time and Alonso and Timmons are ahead of him.

I think they could have used a rangy FS like Melifonwu more than a 2 down LBer that isn't going to play in nickel packages.

The pick isn't bad by any stretch of the means, but I think there were better options out there.

About that guy . . .

Would've liked Obi here. Maybe a couple others. The pick is fine, probably a plug and play SAM.

I agree. If there is a safety there that they like, they will draft for need. If not it will be OG.
I think they will go with our current corners next year and hope for development.
Just plugging that hole in our run defense will translate into another win or two IMHO

About that guy . . .

Yeah, and they just gave that guy more money (to stand around on defense and look at other players piling up). Is there an out in Alonso's extension after this season? At the rate this draft is going perhaps this FO thinks they can put 60 lbs on him and switch him to offense to play guard...

Disagree this spells the end of Misi. He is solid depth and has a humble salary now. Totally agree on Raekwon being a HR pick though, love the priorities of this FO.

Not a very humble salary, but 2/3s of it is guaranteed, so we won't save much by cutting him

I really like Raekwon McMillan. I think this is another good pick by the Dolphins. I listed him as one of my top prospects for round 2 just yesterday and mentioned that I thought he was very underrated by most people. IMHO, this is one of the best LB's in the draft that isn't a pass rusher. This kid is solid, athletic, hardworking, effective, and is going to be the cornerstone of an improved LB corps. I really like this pick.

I dont follow college ball much, but one person in this thread called it a Home.Run. Outstanding. And he happens to be the person that's got his own section on this site in the draft forum... Everyone is wrong sometimes but I'll play the odds and side with him... But thats just me...

Agreed Amigo.

Back
Top Bottom