First round Lb? Does it make sense for Miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First round Lb? Does it make sense for Miami

Miami can't get it right in the first round. So many bad picks so history does not bode well for them. They absolutely have to get it right this year.

There are so many weaknesses on this roster that they don't even have to lock in on LB. just get an immediate impact starter. Wherever it is.

I'm hoping for QB.

We know.

If Derwin James is available at 11, you have to pull the trigger. He is a big safety that can play both strong and free. He is also excellent in run support. With the league passing the ball 58-60 percent of the tine it makes sense to draft him.

Last edited:
Why doesn't Roquan Smith help us? Seems an easy plug-and-play option. Play him at Will, move Kiko back to Mike and play McMillan at Sam limiting his exposure as he continues to recover from his knee surgery. Next year you cut Kiko, move McMillan to Mike (provided he proves he played well) and you either draft another linebacker or put Chase Allen at Sam. You have two fast, young linebackers in Smith and McMillan for years to come...and Chase Allen if you want to include him.

That’s not enough poa play and fill at the lb level. Primary reason

They could do it but the offset is poa and gap fill with Kiko at mike and smith at weak

Nickel with Kiko and smith you have a ton of range and are begging to have the ball run downhill on you.

And in this scheme if you don’t stop the run you won’t stop anything. Lb level reads run reacts to pass don’t stop run you will never defend the pass

That’s not enough poa play and fill at the lb level. Primary reason

They could do it but the offset is poa and gap fill with Kiko at mike and smith at weak

Nickel with Kiko and smith you have a ton of range and are begging to have the ball run downhill on you.

And in this scheme if you don’t stop the run you won’t stop anything. Lb level reads run reacts to pass don’t stop run you will never defend the pass
So you're saying Smith won't be good at the POA in the NFL like he was in college? Don't agree. A guy with a 123 solo tackles, 15 tackles for a loss, can play on any defense and do it well.

So you're saying Smith won't be good at the POA in the NFL like he was in college? Don't agree. A guy with a 123 solo tackles, 15 tackles for a loss, can play on any defense and do it well.

I’m saying miamis scheme puts an emphasis on poa and gap fill at the lb level and size for it even.

None of which is a strength of Roquan smiths.

Patrick Willis wasn’t 6 foot and 230 lbs either. Where do they come up with that stuff

I’ve heard the name jonothan Vilma as the comp although I think Vilma had better size too. Size wise I think it’s eric Kendrick’s by and large with better speed but less inside the box read and diag

That’s a run and chase clip which shows off the elite range. No argument with that his range is elite

Last edited:
Edmunds is big and fast enough to cover TEs and I like the Dolphins connection

Edmunds or Smith at #11 could be distinct possibilities.

Edmunds is probably the better immediate fit since he is a strong side linebacker.

You have to hope you don’t get to pick at number eleven again for a long time, so you have to go BPA, especially if there is a quarterback you can project as your future franchise. Some combine wonder works his way into the top ten and you get lucky with a gem at eleven, you take it.

I’m saying miamis scheme puts an emphasis on poa and gap fill at the lb level and size for it even.

None of which is a strength of Roquan smiths.

Patrick Willis wasn’t 6 foot and 230 lbs either. Where do they come up with that stuff

I’ve heard the name jonothan Vilma as the comp although I think Vilma had better size too. Size wise I think it’s eric Kendrick’s by and large with better speed but less inside the box read and diag

That’s a run and chase clip which shows off the elite range. No argument with that his range is elite

The kid can play. Don't care what the scheme is.

This position is a bit of a conundrum in that the Dolphins use too many linebackers and defensive linemen as things stand, so adding more of those to the mix wouldn't necessarily help. Then again, the linebackers they do have (depending on how Raekwon turns out) are inadequate.

You just snap your fingers, bring the card up and ...... poof, a pro bowl QB, don'tcha know!
Not really. But you keep trying until you get the guy.

Miami QBs drafted since Brady in 2000:

2001 Heupel (6th)
2007 Beck (2nd)
2008 Henne (2nd)
2009 White (2nd)
2012 Tannehill (1st)
2016 Doughty (7th)

I was naive early on and thought Edmunds could get to us in the second. He wasn't really on the radar. I knew he would rise but not like this. Not before the combine. He's the only one I'd gamble on at 11 but this weak LB class + the phasing out of LBs overall + his meteoric rise gives me pause. Players get drafted earlier than they should when their position is thin in the draft, defenses are using more DBs so what might be a 2 down backer at 11 becomes questionable, and players that shoot up the boards like he has lose value. It's not a great combo but I'd still take him all day every day over Smith.

We tend to agree on a lot, but I have to disagree here. Relative to most classes, this LB group looks very strong. Smith, Edmunds, Vander Esch, Sam, and Jefferson all have the combination of instincts, speed, and physicality to produce early starters with high ceilings. There are obviously disparities within that group, but I'd take the group over the 2017 top 5 LB's, and definitely the 2016 and 2015 groups. In a draft with few strengths, LB stands out in a good way. I'll be interested to see if Edmunds really does blow up the Combine. Have a feeling some of the claims are overstated. Not factoring his age, which rightfully gives him a bump, he's behind Smith, Vander Esch, Sam, and Jefferson as a player. Him being about 2 years younger than everyone but Smith does hold weight/complicate the rankings.

Back
Top Bottom