Forget #2, Who's #1? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Forget #2, Who's #1?

UF Fin Kat said:
he's done nothing but play well in every single game. and with the toughest schedule in the nation. he hasn't thrown the ball much, but when he has, it was good..

His running has been great, his passing has been limited.

Being a change of pace is WAY different than being the starting guy.

This guy is doing Florida and the SEC no favor by printing this or making this even a topic to be discussed. Because NOW if Ohio St beats UF by say, 20-30 pts in a blowout or just wins easily in general.

He then kills the SEC's "we play a tough schedule" theory on why they should be rated higher than they are sometimes.

Because a year from now, say we are in the same boat. FOR EXAMPLE... Let's say USC is #1 ...and the 2 teams fighting for the 2nd spot are LSU and Purdue.......people will say, well UF played that tough SEC schedule last year then got killed in the final game. So, why should we rank an SEC team above Purdue who played a lesser schedule when we think Purdue is probably better anyway. Why favor the team with the tougher schedule when that tough schedule means nothing in the end.

This year MOST think Mich is the better team but UF played the tougher schedule so lets reward them. Well, if UF gets destroyed and with this guy not wanting UF being #2 yet #1 based soley on schedule...he hurts that "TOUGH SCHEDULE" theory if UF doesn't win!
That might be confusing to follow, but I think you understand my point.

MikeO said:
This guy is doing Florida and the SEC no favor by printing this or making this even a topic to be discussed. Because NOW if Ohio St beats UF by say, 20-30 pts in a blowout or just wins easily in general.

He then kills the SEC's "we play a tough schedule" theory on why they should be rated higher than they are sometimes.

Because a year from now, say we are in the same boat. FOR EXAMPLE... Let's say USC is #1 ...and the 2 teams fighting for the 2nd spot are LSU and Purdue.......people will say, well UF played that tough SEC schedule last year then got killed in the final game. So, why should we rank an SEC team above Purdue who played a lesser schedule when we think Purdue is probably better anyway. Why favor the team with the tougher schedule when that tough schedule means nothing in the end.

This year MOST think Mich is the better team but UF played the tougher schedule so lets reward them. Well, if UF gets destroyed and with this guy not wanting UF being #2 yet #1 based soley on schedule...he hurts that "TOUGH SCHEDULE" theory if UF doesn't win!

While I definitely understand what you are saying, I must disagree with your use of the word "theory" when talking about tough schedules. Looking at the number of top 25 opponents a team has played or their opponent's win pct. is not theory, it is fact.

Anyone that actually thinks that OSU shouldn't be the #1 team in the nation is not a rational person.

Crowder52 said:
While I definitely understand what you are saying, I must disagree with your use of the word "theory" when talking about tough schedules. Looking at the number of top 25 opponents a team has played or their opponent's win pct. is not theory, it is fact.

theyve both played 4 top 25 teams.

Nappy Roots said:
theyve both played 4 top 25 teams.

I was referring to strength of schedule in general, I didn't mention any specific team. What two teams are you talking about? Because Ohio State played two BCS top 25 teams this year, and Michigan played 3. Florida played 4 of the top 17.

I hear ya Mike O. I think the SEC has alot riding on this game. For the most part everyone considers them to be the perrenial best conf so if they get spanked, it won't say much for the "tough schedule" argument.

MikeO said:

I think I understand your premise but none of that seemed to hurt the Big 12 the past few years.

Oklahoma lost it's last game in 2003 but went to the Sugar ahead of USC and promptly got beat by LSU in a much worse defeat than the final score indicated. They were able to start the next season ranked #2 and get into the Orange the next year ahead of an undefeated Auburn and promptly got spanked by USC. The next year Texas started as #2 and stayed that way until they won the title against USC.

So I disagree with your premise that a Florida loss means the voters will hold it against the SEC in the future.

Stacks said:
I hear ya Mike O. I think the SEC has alot riding on this game. For the most part everyone considers them to be the perrenial best conf so if they get spanked, it won't say much for the "tough schedule" argument.

Exactly!!

Last year the SEC champ Georgia played in Atlanta and lost to Big East team in the Sugar Bowl. This year if Florida loses to Ohio St then the track record of the SEC in these BCS bowls in "recent" memory isn't so hot.

That tough schedule defense will have some chinks in it. Maybe the SEC is filled with a bunch of good teams, (not great) and this notion they are all great and this is some impossible conference....well, maybe it's overrated a little!!

jpcdolphan said:
So I disagree with your premise that a Florida loss means the voters will hold it against the SEC in the future.

I don't think they will hold it against the SEC.

I just think when people say that the SEC is so tough year after year, people won't just accept that as fact as they do now without thinking about it!!

MikeO said:
Exactly!!

Last year the SEC champ Georgia played in Atlanta and lost to Big East team in the Sugar Bowl. This year if Florida loses to Ohio St then the track record of the SEC in these BCS bowls in "recent" memory isn't so hot.

That tough schedule defense will have some chinks in it. Maybe the SEC is filled with a bunch of good teams, (not great) and this notion they are all great and this is some impossible conference....well, maybe it's overrated a little!!

I'll reiterate what I said before. The strength of the SEC is not a theory. They have 5 of the top 17 teams in the BCS top 25, and that's with perennial powers Georgia and Alabama having down years.

The fact is, it is all but impossible to go undefeated in the SEC the way it is built now. Like you said, there are a bunch of good teams. It is much harder to beat a bunch of good teams than it is to beat a few good teams. Even if a team somehow did, they then have the SEC championship game to get through.

Bowl game outcomes have no bearing on this.

MikeO said:
Exactly!!

That's how I view the SEC. If USC wins out I don't think anybody complains about USC/OSU but that's cause people have seen USC be an elite team the last few years so they view them as a legitimate contender. The SEC schedule holds merit because if a team runs that and has say 1 loss people can use that and say "they played the toughest schedule in the country and only had one 1 loss." Compared to a team that has 1 loss but is a superior team. Many people myself included believe that the reason that Florida is playing in the championship game is because that Michigain was "out of sight out of mind." People can go either way and formulate a very good arguement either way but if OSU loses to Michigain than I think it's a rematch even if USC would've won out. For as much people hear about the SEC being an amazing conference the best team IMO that is not in a BCS game is Wisconsin.

djfresh47 said:
That's how I view the SEC. If USC wins out I don't think anybody complains about USC/OSU but that's cause people have seen USC be an elite team the last few years so they view them as a legitimate contender. The SEC schedule holds merit because if a team runs that and has say 1 loss people can use that and say "they played the toughest schedule in the country and only had one 1 loss." Compared to a team that has 1 loss but is a superior team. Many people myself included believe that the reason that Florida is playing in the championship game is because that Michigain was "out of sight out of mind." People can go either way and formulate a very good arguement either way but if OSU loses to Michigain than I think it's a rematch even if USC would've won out. For as much people hear about the SEC being an amazing conference the best team IMO that is not in a BCS game is Wisconsin.

What was Wisconsin's best win this year?

Crowder52 said:
What was Wisconsin's best win this year?
bowling green
western illionois
san diego state

indiana
northwestern
minnesota
purdue
illinois
pennstate
iowa
buffalo

WOW, their wins were ****. :lol:

challenging out of conference teams (in bold) :sidelol:

best team not in the BCS...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

btw, i can't even answer your question. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom