Gase's Rebuilt Offense is going to shock the NFL | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase's Rebuilt Offense is going to shock the NFL

Please read the last part of my post. Your argument falls flat.

No, you're being obtuse. AA is a talented, pounding runner and had some seriously impressive games. But he also had more less than impressive games. The season is only 16 games long and a team simply can't afford that kind of variability in play from their *alleged most important* offensive weapons if they are going to be successful.

Concerning AJ none of your arguments hold water with the success he had the year prior in the exact same offense, same coach same playbook.

Really? Same offense and playbook? Last year, just in case you missed it, we had a serious drop off in QB talent leading to a defensive coordinator feeding frenzy and a significantly higher dependency on the running game to open up the rest of the offensive playbook. It was with *that* heightened scrutiny, AA's limitations became more apparent and critical.

It looks great when your lead RB gets a number of 200 yard games. Everyone screams at their TV when the back hits the planned hole and gets a yard or 2. But how many of those plays that only get a hard yard or two are designed to ferret out defensive tendencies and/or set the defense up for a big change up later in the game? If the RB doesn't do his part with the playbook, but instead believe's that it's more important that he win's the game with another 200 yarder, you end up with 6 and 10.

No, you're being obtuse. AA is a talented, pounding runner and had some seriously impressive games. But he also had more less than impressive games. The season is only 16 games long and a team simply can't afford that kind of variability in play from their *alleged most important* offensive weapons if they are going to be successful.
And all this time I thought I was being acute. Maybe I should just strive for being isosceles.

how was gase right. ...jay is good rb as well. that need carried ball a lot. the problem w him being w eagles is he will not get a lot of carrier. if blunt leaves he will be good then. he is on winning team may get another ring next yr...
drake is fast back. if you miss him at line he is going score. bottle line we could have used both of them. we still need replace jay.
I said that Gase was right in the sense that the running game was more effective after Jay left. If it was a perfect world and Jay accepted his role he would still be here. I wish he was still here but I understand why he isn't.

ajay was on his way to another 1000 yd if he had stay in Miami.

After 7games he had 465 yds, he wasn't gaining 500+ yds in the last 5.

That math is pretty brutal unless it's 1960.

Ajayi was in fact on pace for a 1000 yards season with the Fins, I didnt beleive it so I checked it out and yep... He really was... But I dont think anyone can really argue that Ajayi wasnt a good runner and thats not why he got traded... He had a bad attitude...

And it didnt disapear in Philadelphia, he was pisssed after a win against the Bears, which was his 3rd game as an Eagle...

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...appy-eagles-win-ray-didinger-nbc-sports-bears

Ajayi had 29 total carries in his 1st 4 games as an eagle, a stretch in which they went 3-1...

Last edited:
Yes....and didn't complain, tweet or throw a hissy fit about it under Pederson....think about it.
He did! Dude I litterally posted the link in the post right above yours...

Name a *single* head coach that doesn't run the team with a 'my way or the highway' attitude? It's easy to over look when your team is winning and that draws (most everyone: see Patriots in the last SB) into fold, but when you are struggling to change and create a new team identity, and you have players and coaches in disagreement, the players end up loosing that fight (even if the HC goes, the players typically end up dumped by the new coach for exactly the same reasons).

You're dead wrong....the majority of today's head coaches (the successful ones....well, Belicheat mostly can get away with being ornery because of his pedigree) are in a so called "partnership" with the players because that's just the way it is today. Gone are the old bossy, "how dare you question me - do as told" coaches.....it doesn't work in today's NFL. The surest way today to lose a team is to try and be the hard azz coach......even Tom Coughlin found this out and had to change from one of the toughest NFL coaches ever to a more compliant and "nicer guy" coach.....he was in a situation where he had to adapt to today's pampered, entitled millionaire players or become extinct (and I'm sure he hated it but he did it to continue coaching). Guys like Mike Singletary, Jim Harbaugh, idiot Saban, etc. tried the tough head coach route and failed. Now, that's not to say that they have to check with or get agreement from the players in playcalling, day to day coaching/running of the team, roster, trades, etc....but the coach has to be more of a co worker or team leader vs. a high & mighty boss.

I don't like it and I feel it's been a real detriment to the game & the weakening (performance & mentality....not strength) of the overall player pool today but it is what it is.

BTW....it's "losing" not "loosing" (pet peeve!)

Here's an older but good article touching on what I mean (and referring to Coughlin needing to change):

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3200779

"Coughlin, now 61 and the last of the NFL's head coaching dinosaurs, somehow modestly changed his spots. The days of snarling, domineering head coaches such as Vince Lombardi and Mike Ditka are gone. Modern athletes question authority; fire and brimstone no longer invokes fear, but it almost always guarantees loathing."

Last edited:
He did! Dude I litterally posted the link in the post right above yours...

I was typing another post but in regards to what you linked....so what??.....That link is about Ajayi having issues with the media, not the TEAM. He didn't call out, express anything negative or whine about the Eagles treatment of him so WTF?? And, did you read Pederson's comments there? All positive as well as the one guy who tweeted :

"Ajayi comments totally overblown. Reported stuff was bulls___. Checking inside he had no problem with his carries. Upset with himself. There are times Media make it up."

That has absolutely nothing to do with the Gase/Ajayi issue which was a well known & exposed (apparent) personal thing that affected the whole locker room.

I like the moves they've made so far, but I wish RT James would've been replaced too. PFF had Miami's o-line ranked at #29 with the worst run-blocking, and James shares some of the blame for that. I'm hoping that Gase will change his offensive philosophy for this upcoming season. Throwing short passes to Landry and having your RB hit in the backfield is no way to sustain drives and score a lot of points. Establish a STRONG running game (which requires tough, physical o-linemen unlike Pouncey!) and go deep more often. This will force the opponents to defend the entire field, so the middle will open up for any half-decent WR or TE to make plays. I'm sick and tired after 6 years of watching a dink-and-dunk offense that is only good at going 3 and out and turning over the ball. Maybe they'll spread the ball around more now that Landry is gone.

However, Gase is making a huge mistake by keeping the same old defense that has been ineffective for far too long. Coyle, Joseph, and now Burke may run slightly different defenses, but the overall results have been the same: can't stop the run, can't cover the middle of the field, and they constantly play the DBs so far off the WRs that the opponents easily march right down the field. Could someone help me to understand something? The defenses under both Philbin and Gase have been described as being built to play with a lead. But, the offenses under both Philbin and Gase are slow-starting (sometimes they can't score until nearly half-time) and usually low-scoring affairs with an inability to sustain most drives. They're probably most successful at going 3 and out. What good is a defense built to play with a lead when the team is usually behind?

You're dead wrong....the majority of today's head coaches (the successful ones....well, Belicheat mostly can get away with being ornery because of his pedigree) are in a so called "partnership" with the players because that's just the way it is today. Gone are the old bossy, "how dare you question me - do as told" coaches.....it doesn't work in today's NFL. The surest way today to lose a team is to try and be the hard azz coach......even Tom Coughlin found this out and had to change from one of the toughest NFL coaches ever to a more compliant and "nicer guy" coach.....he was in a situation where he had to adapt to today's pampered, entitled millionaire players or become extinct (and I'm sure he hated it but he did it to continue coaching). Guys like Mike Singletary, Jim Harbaugh, idiot Saban, etc. tried the tough head coach route and failed. Now, that's not to say that they have to check with or get agreement from the players in playcalling, day to day coaching/running of the team, roster, trades, etc....but the coach has to be more of a co worker or team leader vs. a high & mighty boss.

I don't like it and I feel it's been a real detriment to the game & the weakening (performance & mentality....not strength) of the overall player pool today but it is what it is.

BTW....it's "losing" not "loosing" (pet peeve!)

Here's an older but good article touching on what I mean (and referring to Coughlin needing to change):

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3200779

"Coughlin, now 61 and the last of the NFL's head coaching dinosaurs, somehow modestly changed his spots. The days of snarling, domineering head coaches such as Vince Lombardi and Mike Ditka are gone. Modern athletes question authority; fire and brimstone no longer invokes fear, but it almost always guarantees loathing."

If you look at my tag line, I pretty much own up to not being much of a speller, especially when I'm sneaking in time here on FH instead of doing whatever I was supposed to be doing. But thanks for the "losing" correction.

As for the rest of your response,
A) I didn't say Gase or HC's were necessarily tyrants, although many are. If you look at thread and my response to it, I very clearly pointed out that Gase made his decisions after a year and a half and that is anything *but* being a head case tyrant like the coaches of yesteryear. My position on the Landry, Ajayi trades is that it reflects he waited too long and put up with too much individualism (a.k.a freelancing, wrong routes, poor mastery of the playbook, etc.) over team. I think all the changes throughout the organization -- the significant shake up of both coaches and players -- reflect the fact that he knows he has a season, maybe two, to make this team look like a consistent playoff contender or he's out. There is a balance between being a "players coach" (partnership) and being a tyrant. Being out of kilter on either side sets the team up to fail in the long run.

B) Your response is inconsistent within itself. The top part of your response talks about how coaches have had to change to be in a 'so called partnership' with their players and the last part of your response was how one of the most tyrannical old schoolers (maybe because he's one of the last old schoolers around these days other than BB?), Coughlin, only *moderately* changed his spots. Hell, Coughlin was famous for fining players for showing up to team meetings *on time* and he started his very first press conference with the Jags 5 minutes early.

Actually that's the one good coaching move made by Gase. And funny I have posts giving him credit for that. And that was about his attitude not not knowing the play book. Gase said as much publicly at the time. I understand there are very ardent Gase lovers on here including you, lurking, ray r, andyhas who believe Gase can do no wrong and is the most amazing head coach in all the world. I just don't see it yet and the main excuses of players not knowing the playbook and culture change are all non sense arguments you all need to hold onto to defend Gases bad decisions. For all our sake I hope Gase can turn it around and we go to the playoffs. I just don't expect it seeing his style of coaching. He has yet to prove he belongs as a head coach.

Gase lover?! Please! Sick of people like you coming in and labeling people immediately. Again, YOU'RE the one who was crying that someone was making fun of you! Yet, all your posts are riddled with **** like this. Get that that through your thick, hypocritical skull!

Back
Top Bottom