Gase's Rebuilt Offense is going to shock the NFL | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase's Rebuilt Offense is going to shock the NFL

Ajayi was in fact on pace for a 1000 yards season with the Fins, I didnt beleive it so I checked it out and yep... He really was... But I dont think anyone can really argue that Ajayi wasnt a good runner and thats not why he got traded... He had a bad attitude...

And it didnt disapear in Philadelphia, he was pisssed after a win against the Bears, which was his 3rd game as an Eagle...

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...appy-eagles-win-ray-didinger-nbc-sports-bears

Ajayi had 29 total carries in his 1st 4 games as an eagle, a stretch in which they went 3-1...
Sometimes I'm not as clear as I should be due to time circumstances, sorry to all for that. What I was or should have said, was that Adam was tired of him and was gonna start playing Drake more. He didn't want to listen to Jay whine about, so he was traded. That's why I didn't think he'd get to a 1000yds

Sometimes I'm not as clear as I should be due to time circumstances, sorry to all for that. What I was or should have said, was that Adam was tired of him and was gonna start playing Drake more. He didn't want to listen to Jay whine about, so he was traded. That's why I didn't think he'd get to a 1000yds

That would make sense if Gase didn’t name Williams the starter over Drake when they traded Jay.

It took Williams getting hurt for Miami to use Drake full time.

Actually that's the one good coaching move made by Gase. And funny I have posts giving him credit for that. And that was about his attitude not not knowing the play book. Gase said as much publicly at the time. I understand there are very ardent Gase lovers on here including you, lurking, ray r, andyhas who believe Gase can do no wrong and is the most amazing head coach in all the world. I just don't see it yet and the main excuses of players not knowing the playbook and culture change are all non sense arguments you all need to hold onto to defend Gases bad decisions. For all our sake I hope Gase can turn it around and we go to the playoffs. I just don't expect it seeing his style of coaching. He has yet to prove he belongs as a head coach.
Nice of you to keep tabs on me and even bring my name up when i wasnt even responding to you in this thread.

Attack the post not the poster seems to only apply to a few around here.

That would make sense if Gase didn’t name Williams the starter over Drake when they traded Jay.

It took Williams getting hurt for Miami to use Drake full time.
Okay remove Drakes name and insert Williams.

If you look at my tag line, I pretty much own up to not being much of a speller, especially when I'm sneaking in time here on FH instead of doing whatever I was supposed to be doing. But thanks for the "losing" correction.

As for the rest of your response,
A) I didn't say Gase or HC's were necessarily tyrants, although many are. If you look at thread and my response to it, I very clearly pointed out that Gase made his decisions after a year and a half and that is anything *but* being a head case tyrant like the coaches of yesteryear. My position on the Landry, Ajayi trades is that it reflects he waited too long and put up with too much individualism (a.k.a freelancing, wrong routes, poor mastery of the playbook, etc.) over team. I think all the changes throughout the organization -- the significant shake up of both coaches and players -- reflect the fact that he knows he has a season, maybe two, to make this team look like a consistent playoff contender or he's out. There is a balance between being a "players coach" (partnership) and being a tyrant. Being out of kilter on either side sets the team up to fail in the long run.

B) Your response is inconsistent within itself. The top part of your response talks about how coaches have had to change to be in a 'so called partnership' with their players and the last part of your response was how one of the most tyrannical old schoolers (maybe because he's one of the last old schoolers around these days other than BB?), Coughlin, only *moderately* changed his spots. Hell, Coughlin was famous for fining players for showing up to team meetings *on time* and he started his very first press conference with the Jags 5 minutes early.

I agree mostly with what you are saying....I too do not care for players freelancing, not studying the playbook, etc. and it may come off like I'm a huge Ajayi fan (I'm not) but IMO I think Gase, if he was an effective coach, could & should have found a way to make it work with Ajayi for the benefit of the team at least until the season was over. Not that he should have bent over backwards or catered to him but found some common ground to make it work.

"There is a balance between being a "players coach" (partnership) and being a tyrant. Being out of kilter on either side sets the team up to fail in the long run." Agree 100%.....that's why my concern is, by his actions, Gase is setting himself up (or trying to get the reputation as being) more towards the tyrant side....which IMO he'll utterly fail at because he has no history of success nor an aura that will allow him to take advantage of that.

And I don't feel my last part was inconsistent at all.....Coughlin definitely changed (and I'm in the NY metro area so I saw coverage of it full blast over the years....both written and talk radio/TV) and it wasn't moderate at least to him. I know someone who had close knowledge of him when he coached at Boston College.....this person, normally a benefit of the doubt type, said Coughlin was the most miserable hard azz prick he'd ever known and that people feared him, esp. the players (and keep in mind he still had that history/aura when coming to the NFL...Gase doesn't). Going from that to, for example, cancelling practice as coach of the Giants to be buddy buddy & take the team bowling was a HUGE leap an would have been unthinkable to not only him but everyone else (and probably made him puke at the thought....I don't think he changed to change but because he was forced to by the changes in players/society and to keep his job).

My point is, Coughlin would have stayed Coughlin if he could have.....but players became less mentally/emotionally tough, more pampered and expectant of "kind" treatment or they'd shut down and go into a shell. Not surprising really with how society has become and it's never going back...now millennials are or will be the future of the NFL for better or worse (worse).

Here's another article of interest that shows how Coughlin was forced to change:

https://nypost.com/2014/07/29/strahan-coughlin-werent-always-these-hall-of-fame-allies/

"There’s a thin line between love and hate, and Michael Strahan found himself crossing it when he met Tom Coughlin. It was Coughlin’s Way-Or-The-Highway when he arrived in 2004, and Strahan had no time for Coughlin Time, or for his rules, and thought for sure the Giants were on the road to ruin and he was on the road to retirement."

I agree mostly with what you are saying....
"There is a balance between being a "players coach" (partnership) and being a tyrant. Being out of kilter on either side sets the team up to fail in the long run." Agree 100%.....that's why my concern is, by his actions, Gase is setting himself up (or trying to get the reputation as being) more towards the tyrant side....which IMO he'll utterly fail at because he has no history of success nor an aura that will allow him to take advantage of that....

Exactly what did Gase do that gives you the impression that he's heading into "tyrant" territory? You worry that because he traded AA in the middle of the season? What about the possibility that the players themselves were tired of losing (see, I'm trainable...) and could see who was, and wasn't, executing the playbook? Who was, and wasn't, in the film rooms? Who was a loner and who was working with their teammates? Trust me (I know from personal experience), people on a team can see that stuff and while I'm sure there were people who didn't agree with the mid-season trade, they all look to the coach to set the tempo and culture.

This year is a new year. If the team is makes the playoffs, everyone will fall into the 'Gase the genius' or 'Gase was right, things really did need to change' camps. If the team is mediocre or worse, Gase will be an OC somewhere else and we'll start this crap all over again. I hope for *my* teams sake that we trend in the right direction. Not because I'm on "team" Gase per se, but because I believe that that teams do better with long term coaching continuity.

Exactly what did Gase do that gives you the impression that he's heading into "tyrant" territory? You worry that because he traded AA in the middle of the season? What about the possibility that the players themselves were tired of losing (see, I'm trainable...) and could see who was, and wasn't, executing the playbook? Who was, and wasn't, in the film rooms? Who was a loner and who was working with their teammates? Trust me (I know from personal experience), people on a team can see that stuff and while I'm sure there were people who didn't agree with the mid-season trade, they all look to the coach to set the tempo and culture.

This year is a new year. If the team is makes the playoffs, everyone will fall into the 'Gase the genius' or 'Gase was right, things really did need to change' camps. If the team is mediocre or worse, Gase will be an OC somewhere else and we'll start this crap all over again. I hope for *my* teams sake that we trend in the right direction. Not because I'm on "team" Gase per se, but because I believe that that teams do better with long term coaching continuity.

Admittedly, there's a lot we don't know and we can "what if" it to death. As always, it'll play itself out and, like you, of course I hope it'll be in the right direction. I'm hoping we don't have to start all over again (as we have before, and before that, and before that, etc.) but I do have real concerns though if Gase is the guy or not. Guys here are saying "well he doesn't have this, he didn't have that" and making excuses all over for him...but rarely does a coach have all the pieces he needs all the time (whether due to bad choices or injuries) but some forge ahead and accomplish things. Eagles have their QB starter go down AND lose their starting left tackle but still got it done and won the SB. If Gase has what it takes to be a successful he'll have to produce with what he has, not what with he wishes he had....tired of the excuses and him blaming players - get it fixed or GTFO.

Last edited:
Can we first attempt to not be shut out, blown out, picked on, put down, called garbage by Gase, etc? He certainly isn’t trying to do anything revolutionary on offense but it should be better and more dynamic than what we’ve had. We’ve seen the wide 9 have some level of success in the nfl so maybe it’s time we go full on Mike Leach and spread our lineman out on offense and just run the defense ragged attacking horizontally as well as vertically. Amendola and I believe Grant as well are well versed in that style from college and I’m sure Ryan would be very comfortable with it as well. Then Drake and Gore eating up yards on delays. Don’t even need a great TE to run the Air Raid.

He had 70 carries in 7 regular season games. Even if he “started”, he wasn’t the main back.

Yet the Super Bowl Eagles choose to start him the final 2 regular season games, playoffs, and Super Bowl.

He was the second best RB on his team.... Elite team

And yet he started the final two regular season games and playoffs and the Super Bowl for the NFL champions. Not too shabby.

I'm not optomistic at all because I'm an eternal realist.

This offense may spring a surprise here and there but will it set the world alight? I highly doubt it.
Spot on! This is the reality of the Miami Dolphins. Yes, they will tease us for a game or two and then they will revert back to their inconsistent ways. T-Hill will play good (not great) for a few games and then will go back to being the mediocre QB that he truly is. In addition to that, the Dolphins will continue to be consistent at the only thing that they have been consistent at the last two years, being one of the most penalized teams in the NFL. Like it or not, the penalty issue is a huge problem that Gase has no clue on how to fix. I’m tired of hearing Gase time and time again say how the penalties are fixable but the problem remains. The only way this team will be able to be in any positive conversation next year is if the defense steps up and balls out of control. However, that is hard to do when the offense is constantly putting the defense in a bad position with their constant three and outs and inconsistent play at the QB position. I’m my opinion the only way the Dolphins offense has a shot at being serviceable is if they run the ball up and down the field and take the ball away from the on again off again QB, who hasn’t played football in over a year.

Back
Top Bottom