Good News for 'Phins, bad news for Jets | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good News for 'Phins, bad news for Jets

My thinking is Revis will eventually budge. He'll play this season before the year is done, but i think he will sit out maybe 6 games. One thing is for sure, I doubt he will be a Jet next year.

Isn't he under contract for 3 more years?

http://nyjetscap.com/revisholdout.php

A Potential Wrinkle in the Revis Holdout

Just a small update on the Darrelle Revis holdout. Almost anyone following the situation knows that an important date in the Revis holdout is August 10th. Its been talked about on various Jets websites , including by our buddies over at The Jets Blog , as well as a few national media sources. In case you were unaware the reason the date is important is because of a rule in the CBA that states
For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement , for any League Year beginning with the 1993 League Year , a player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty (30) days prior to the first regular season game of that season.
Under the standard CBA agreement a free agent requires four accrued seasons of service to become an unrestricted free agent. Revis currently has three. Most have disregarded the date because Revis is under contract for the next three years and odds are five years of service , which is what he would have at the end of 2012 , is going to be enough to reach unrestricted free agency at the end of his contract.

However , we have to realize that the Revis contract is unique. Revis' contract has a unique feature in which he can buyout the last two seasons of his contract , worth about 1.3 million dollars , which the Jets can then buyback for around 15 million dollars , a number that can rise to 20 million based on Revis' on field performance.

But most people are failing to take into account the actual mechanism by which Revis' contract operates. Darrelle does not simply tell the Jets that he is going to buyout his deal and they simply buy it back. Revis will actually void his contract when he exercises the buyback. The day he buys out the deal he becomes a free agent. His agents negotiated a clause into the deal to not allow the Jets to designate him a franchise player in lieu of buying back the contract for a guaranteed 20 million dollars , so we know for a fact that Revis is a free agent when he buys the deal out.

This is what seems to make the August 10th deadline potentially so important. If Revis loses a year of service he will only have three years of service under his belt. Rather than being an unrestricted free agent he will be a restricted free agent under terms of the CBA. As a restricted free agent the Jets hold tremendous leverage on Revis as they would no longer be under obligation to buyback those years at the high price tag. Instead they could tender Revis at a cost significantly lower than his buyback salary and then begin to use the franchise tag thereafter to keep him property of the team. That would be a significant loss of earnings for Revis if such a situation were to occur. Again this is nothing new if you are following the team around the internet as the subject has been discussed many times. So that seems to make August 10th a huge date for the team. But reality is often different than it seems.

We are all forgetting that a new set of rules are in place in 2010 because 2010 is an uncapped season. In an uncapped year the required time for unrestricted free agency jumps from four years of service to six years of service. All signs at this point in the labor negotiations basically point to both sides playing the year out without a new CBA in place and then seeing who blinks first in March. Here is why this affects Revis and makes the August 10th date likely meaningless. It also adds a new dimension to his holdout from the team.

Revis' contract will void the week following the Super Bowl , which is part of the 2010 League Year. Its more or less that limbo period in football during the month of February where not much goes on besides a few cuts and its so far beyond the end of the regular season that most believe its a new year. But on the NFL calender it is not. The 2011 League Year does not begin until March and teams do not begin workouts until mid-March. That mid-March date is likely the first date by which the NFL and the NFL Players Union will hammer out a deal in order to preserve all aspects of the offseason as a loss of three weeks of free agency is not enough of an impediment to either side as players an easily be integrated into the system and get their money whether they are signed March 5th or March 20th. The next important date would be the NFL draft in April. Regardless of what the sides consider the make or break date , its fair to say that it is after March. Even if a new agreement were to occur before then it's likely it would not take affect until March so as to not hamper the salary cap for the 2010 NFL season as some teams will come in below negotiated minimums and others will be far higher than allowable limits.

And all of this leaves a superstar cornerback in limbo. When Revis voids his contract in February all signs point to the fact that he is going to be a restricted free agent whether he sits out all of training camp or all of the NFL football season. Three years or four years of service makes no difference in a year where you need six seasons to become an unrestricted free agent. This also sheds new light on a potential reason why Revis is holding out right now and willing to give up 20 million guaranteed by doing so. Revis was likely not playing in 2010 for 20 million dollars. He was likely playing for a 3 million dollar or so qualifying offer from the Jets in 2011 and a 9 million dollar franchise tag in 2012. Sure he could hope the Jets would exercise the buyback , but that would be putting faith in an organization and there is almost no trust between the players and teams right now.

Is it possible that Revis is protected from being tendered? It is possible , but highly unlikely. When Revis signed his original contract in 2007 there was labor harmony and no person anticipated that an uncapped season would occur that changed the limits for unrestricted free agency. Considering no players escaped restricted free agency with the new rules in place in 2010 it is hard to imagine that Revis' agents would have negotiated that type of protection into the contract.

All in all the uncapped year may have added a new reason as to why Revis is now staging this holdout and why it may go on longer than any of us thought.

Basically, CBA uncertainty causes uncertainty in who has the leverage in these negotiations. As of right now, its the Jets. They can tender him at the end of the year or franchise him every year. He's welcome to sit out and lose that money too. Not every situation is the same. Nnamdi situation was different cuz he was (or was going to be) a FA when Al Davis signed him. Nnamdi wanted out, hence Al had to offer him **** loads of money, mostly guaranteed. Revis is neither a FA, nor wants out of NY. If he wants more money, NY is where he should be. Endorsements in NY will far outweigh than any other smaller markets.

Isn't he under contract for 3 more years?

Yes he is. Jets have him under contract for the next 3 years for $21 mils. That is why Jets are not budging. Jets hold tremendous leverage knowing that Revis would be here for the next 3 years to say the least for just $7mil a yr.

Well if you are gonna talk about him for 18 months and boost him up to be the best there is I feel like the Jets are morons for not understanding this would happen. And from what I hear they are about 4.5 million a season apart, and i hear they are looking 6-7 years on the extension meaning they could be 27-32 million apart thats alot of negotiation to get to a happy medium.

Jets are willing to give him about $14mil a season. But the problem is this. Jets want to give a 6 years extension, while Revis wants a whole new deal. The difference? Here:

Jets (assumed) offer: 6 yrs extension, $80+ mils
Total 9 years for $100 mil

Revis Demand: $16 mil a year. For 9 years, it equal s $144 mils

Unless you are a QB, you are not getting a $144 mil contract. Manning and Brady are worth $144 mil in 9 years IF they were in their 20s.

so he's walking away from $20 mil guaranteed with 3 years left on his deal??? that sounds a bit crazy on his part...i have to admit...he must have been promised something by rex or someone in the front office then...cause walking away from $20 mil is a bit much to swallow

I don't think anyone promised him anything. In the NFL, a promise means nothing more than taking a dump. He's risking $20 mil in an effort to change that $20 into $32 mil.

Yes he is. Jets have him under contract for the next 3 years for $21 mils. That is why Jets are not budging. Jets hold tremendous leverage knowing that Revis would be here for the next 3 years to say the least for just $7mil a yr.

Yes indeedy. It's going to be fun AS HELL seeing this little situation progress.

Especially with the volatile NY media, and with the ever bombastic Ryan's big mouth in the mix. I'll bet those HBO people are practically salivating at what kind of stuff they will be capturing on film. :)

The Aso extension in Oakland really screwed up this entire negotiation. Because Aso is getting paid like a top QB (part of his funky deal), for Revis to be the highest-paid CB he needs to be paid like a top QB. And signing a top QB for a long-term deal is stupid, unless you're signing a TOP QB. I can see where the Jets are coming from. Locking up that much money in Revis isn't that smart, no matter how good he is. Does he deserve A LOT of money? Sure. But at a certain point you need to decide where your franchise is going to put the big money, and the successful franchises manage to underpay their stars for longer. Not to mention that Revis has been crazy good for only one year (I'm not doubting how good he is...but the point is he did it for one season, as opposed to accumulating several seasons of the same production).

Ultimately I think Revis will sign a shorter-term extension. He knows it and I think the Jets know it too. For now they're just enjoying the media attention and hoopla, which should carry on nicely to their supposed SB run.

Trust me he is not holding out pass a real game or 2 and definately not for the season. Especially since the lockout looms next year. Why would you risk $0 over the next 2 years.Its a crazy gamble.
Chubbs

As much as I would love to see Revis hold out all season I just can't see it happening either. The season is still a month or so away and thats a long time for contract negotiations. Even if he does hold out until then I think one of the sides crumbles after the first game or two.

I just wonder why, because this would be something I would do or try if I was in their shoes when I get drafted. I would have my agent have a contract that stated if I outplayed my contract then there would be escalators in the contract that would pay me as top at my position.

Is that odd? Because I am sure if it was possible someone would have already tried this, no? That way people like Andre Johnson and Revis aren't pissed that they are under paid eventhough that is their signature on the contract and that is what they agreed to.

Trust me he is not holding out pass a real game or 2 and definately not for the season. Especially since the lockout looms next year. Why would you risk $0 over the next 2 years.Its a crazy gamble.
Chubbs

He's already been fined about $150,000. The season is about 30 days away meaning he would end up with about $660k in fines until the opening day, and he is scheduled to earn about $1 mil anyways. If it continues for 4 wks in to the regular season, he will end up with $0 this year, and nothing guaranteed in the future. That would be idiotic. I would attend the mandatory meetings/practices, but would still ***** about the contract talks. BM didn't skip a yr in Denver after fighting for higher pay for two years. I can see the same with Revis, even though Revis will be paid much more than what BM was making.

I just wonder why, because this would be something I would do or try if I was in their shoes when I get drafted. I would have my agent have a contract that stated if I outplayed my contract then there would be escalators in the contract that would pay me as top at my position.

Is that odd? Because I am sure if it was possible someone would have already tried this, no? That way people like Andre Johnson and Revis aren't pissed that they are under paid eventhough that is their signature on the contract and that is what they agreed to.

GMs will disagree to that. Why? Cuz GMs would then ask to put in a clause stating if u suck or get injured, we can ask back for part of the salary money back, and cut you with out any financial consequences. Players get bonuses when they make the pro bowl. Thats about all they get for over performing.

no worries. the greatness that is the Jets will prevail. cromartie can handle moss & bmarsh.

he's got 9 years $100 mil on the table and he won't take it??? whats the guaranteed money in that offer???

Back
Top Bottom