Good News for 'Phins, bad news for Jets | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good News for 'Phins, bad news for Jets

he's got 9 years $100 mil on the table and he won't take it??? whats the guaranteed money in that offer???

All we heard was that, he wasn't offered fully guaranteed money. Take for what its worth. Roster bonuses aren't guaranteed if you're not on the roster, but it is guaranteed if u play well enough to be on the roster. If he gets a career ending injury, roster bonuses protects the team. The 9 year $100 mil is old news. We know for a fact that $20 mil (2011, and 2012) are guaranteed. I would say around $35mil guaranteed were offered.

The funny thing is the Jets have alot of leverage here since they have Cro and Wilson..

Revis will not sit out the year..but the longer he holds out the better

The funny thing is the Jets have alot of leverage here since they have Cro and Wilson..

Revis will not sit out the year..but the longer he holds out the better

Did you see what happened last time Cromartie tried to cover Brandon Marshall? At the time it was an NFL record tieing 18 catches in that game. (Which later was broken by B-Marsh's 21 catches against Indy)

Its well documented that players who know they can get away with sitting out of camp for the entire deal will so they can miss all the crap they have to go through. Revis will hold out as long as camp goes on and the Jets will flinch just before the first game. Revis taking July and August off.

Did you see what happened last time Cromartie tried to cover Brandon Marshall? At the time it was an NFL record tieing 18 catches in that game. (Which later was broken by B-Marsh's 21 catches against Indy)

Yeah, just dont buy into Cromrartie at all. His character is not all that and why would SD let him go? You dont let good corners just go. Jets are offseason attention whores, they are all about free agency every year. They have a turnstile every year in FA.

You sign a contract....you should honor it. Yes, in the grand scheme of things he could get paid more, but he has a contract that he signed and he should be on the field practicing as we speak.

Thats all very well and nice and this argument goes on and on every year...Free Agency caused all this so this is what happens. If you are the best at your position in the league (or perceived to be) then players want to be paid.

Theres not that many Brandon Marshalls in the league and the Jets would be more then adequate without Revis. The fact of the matter is that the Jets have decent depth at that position with players that are hungry for new contracts(Cro) or playing time to prove their worth(Wilson). As well, there are multiple ways to help a struggling corner on the field, including having a strong pass rush and/or safety help. The Jets really do have all the leverage here, from team depth to Revis's current contract(that they felt was more than fair after he began a holdout as a rookie).

Now dont get me wrong, i recognize that Revis is a superior talent and what he brings to the table is impressive. But at the same time, i side more with the people saying "honor your contract". This isn't a Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson situation where they played out their rookie deals and get jerked around by their front office. Revis has done a fine job and i can see how he might be annoyed that he is in a down year of his deal(the one that he agreed to a mere 3 years ago), but 20 million guaranteed over the following 2 season should more then take the sting out of it, not to mention the fact that teams get serious about locking down franchise players in the last year or two(max) of their rookie deals, not at the halfway point of a contract.

If i were a Jets follower(you know, followed them for something other then laughing at amusing situations such as this) id be extremely disappointed in Revis' stance on this, especially when others have been showing up that are actually in contract years(Holmes, Cro, Edwards, but especially Nick Mangold).

cromartie wont have a prayer against Marshall lmao just keep thinking that way

NYJ and Revis deserve each other and this divide between the plavyers and ownership is only going to grow wider when the players realize the FO isn't going to pay their stars it will create havoc for years...

This is what happens when a coach tells the world he has the corner in the NFL playing for him, now pay him as the best corner.
Looks good on Ryan.

The longer this goes on, the better. If revis doesn't play at all, that's great. He's missing an awful lot of practice time though if he does plan on playing. It's not exactly easy to consistantly be the best cb in the NFL.

IMO this goes several games in to the season. If they Jets are winning, Revis will have to cave. If the Jets are losing, they are in a bind with re-signing their core players with expiring contracts, paying Revis which will obviously effect the roster with the money they have tied up in the core players, or they hope that each week they can get back to winning.

The Jets are still a very talented team and will win a lot of games without Revis but I don't see them in the playoffs if he sits all year. He single handedly shuts down top flight WRs which is a huge reason that defense is so good.

Back
Top Bottom